• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kovax

Field Marshal
10 Badges
May 13, 2003
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Playing Hungary, allied to Poland. Poland declared war on a province that was part of Pomerania; Hungary honored the alliance. Poland declared war on Samogitia(?); Hungary honored that alliance as well. Poland annexed both provinces of Pomerania, then Samogitia, and was no longer at war. Hungary still showed itself as being at war with both, for some odd reason. I scoured the entire map several times from end to end, and could not find a province for either (they should show up in red, since I'm still at war with them, while my own provinces clearly show up in green).

Several months later, a Pomeranian army appeared and besieged my capital, I mobilized the army in the province, and the small invading army was easily driven off. A couple of months later, a Samogitian army also showed up, and did likewise. I'm now stuck with two small armies parked a province from my capital, and attacking it every few months when they regain enough organization to do so. They're usually driven off with 0 losses to either side, but it costs me to mobilize if I keep the army mobilized past the end of the month.

It's now two years later, and I can't get rid of them. There's no way to peace out, because they have no province to select to offer peace terms, and I can't destroy them in any reasonable timeframe because they just break and run with 0 casualties almost every time. I whittled down the Pomeranian army from just under 600 men to around 350 in the initial conflict, but have only managed to kill off another dozen in the 10+ "battles" since then. The Samogitian army was smaller, and has invaded my capital several times, but hasn't lost a single man in the battles since the initial engagement. Going out after them merely chases them to another province with 0 losses. At this rate, it'll take decades (or the rest of the game) until they're down to 0 men.

How do I remove these landless straggler armies from the map? This HAS to be a bug, because there's no way that it represents anything realistic. Armies don't remain in the field in hostile territory with no source of supply for 2+ years.

Upvote 0
First of all, are you talking about CK 1 here ?
If so, then im not sure if posting it here was necessary and i guess the general CK1 forum would have been fine as well.
Regarding the issue...
So in short there are two armies of two counties you believe don't exist anymore and you can't destroy them.
Besides, first problem description, then elaboration, not the other way round, please.

Upload a save so i can look at it.
Otherwise i have no idea right now.

Correct, this is CK1, the ancient dinosaur, not one of the later games. I wasn't sure whether here or the general forum was the better option. Obviously, it's not going to get patched or changed after all this time, but it's still a bug that someone else may run into, and a solution to a bug (assuming there is one) would be easier to find in Bug Reports than in the general muddle of topics. I also assumed that the title would adequately describe the problem, but I agree that I probably should have made the situation clearer before delving into the situation which led to it.

Actually, there are two armies in the one stack, from two provinces of the one former country, traveling together (one with around 300 men, the other reduced to about 50), and one army from a second defunct country with about 350 men operating independently from the first pair. Both countries have been completely absorbed by my ally Poland, so they're no longer at war with them, yet the armies from those 3 conquered provinces continue to attack me. I can't offer peace because there are no countries to offer it to.

Worse, last night I tried to play past it and hopefully wear them down over time (I managed to take out another 6 men from the one), but they each declared new wars on a couple of my vassals, then settled for White Peace with one vassal and immediately declared war on another. I've got 3-4 vassals with their armies mobilized at any given time as a result. Any time I try to move one of my armies from its home province to deal with other issues, one of the two immediately heads for it to besiege it.

I don't know if this old game has a console function, because as much as I dislike "cheat codes", I'd be happy to just delete them at this point, but that probably won't end the ridiculous wars with the non-existent countries. I'll try to get a pair of save files for tomorrow, since I'm not at my home computer now.

Correct, this is CK1, the ancient dinosaur..

Alright, so i can assume fully patched CK1 with DeusVult expansion and 2.1Beta of 15th october 2008 patch, right ?

I don't know if this old game has a console function, because as much as I dislike "cheat codes", I'd be happy to just delete them at this point, but that probably won't end the ridiculous wars with the non-existent countries. ..

There are afew commands , but mostly events and i see nothing in my own cheat-and-commandos file that i'd think can help you deleting armies.
Save editing would be it, assuming that's necessary.

I'll try to get a pair of save files for tomorrow, since I'm not at my home computer now.

That'd be good, simply as i haven't played in a while, but in my backhead there is some very foggy memories of something similar.
To find back into it and get closer to the answer, seeing the scenario unfold before my eyes will likely help me to remember and understand
whats going on.

Last edited:
I can't verify the 2.1 beta patch from here, but it's definitely got the Deus Vult expansion; downloaded it from GOG about a year or two ago, and just assumed it was patched to the latest version.

[ So much for "plan A". I put the saved files on a memory stick last night. Today, I went to put the memory stick into a USB slot on the PC here, and realized that it's still plugged into the computer at home. ]

Last edited:
I can't verify the 2.1 beta patch from here, but it's definitely got the Deus Vult expansion; downloaded it from GOG about a year or two ago, and just assumed it was patched to the latest version.

[ So much for "plan A". I put the saved files on a memory stick last night. Today, I went to put the memory stick into a USB slot on the PC here, and realized that it's still plugged into the computer at home. ]

Regarding the patch, i once helped someone with an issue who (i believe to recall had it on Steam) had fixed an issue after installing the last patch.
Might have been coincidence. I never verified if the Steam one is the same as via Gamersgate variant and patching.
That's the main reason i asked.

Whatever, yup, a save could be helpful.
Had similar situations as your "plan A" in my life. Always a laugh.
MfvvyDB.gif
rM9OCeS.gif

Of course only happens when answers are urgently needed and at best provided yesterday...

Outside that, if you know what country the armies are, then you get to know what tag that country has, then the armies should be easy to find in the save file by searching for either tag = countrytag or the province location = provid, as the first is under the country = block and the location part is inside the unit = block of the country block. Province IDs can be found in the files somehwere or via 'showid' console command in-game.

Neverteless i'd prefer to have a look. Either the country still exists somehow or there might be another explanation.
Simply trying to delete or #'ing out the unit can still be done.

Last edited:
Outside that,...
You can also look for all kind of other things.
The army and division name being actually one as well.

Example

(game is set to german localisation, thus the army name in german)
Code:
country = {
    tag = MBAG
    lastpeace = { year = 1337 month = april day = 10 }
    lastwar = { year = 1337 month = august day = 18 }
    badboy = 0.000
    form_of_goverment = feudal
    capital = 693
    tier = kingdom
    ruler = { character = { type = 10 id = 78040 } startdate = { year = 1337 month = august day = 18 } }
    unit = {
        id = { type = 4712 id = 8010 }
        name = "Babür's Heer"
        location = 693
        prevprov = 690
        movetime = { year = 1337 month = september day = 17 }
        movement = { 687 }
        division = {
            id = { type = 4712 id = 8009 }
            name = "Basra's Regiment"
            date = { year = 1337 month = april day = 11 }
            leader = { type = 4712 id = 4054 }
            culture = "turkish"
            home = 649
            strength = { light_cav = 117.000 archers = 120.000 heavy_inf = 383.000 pikemen = 129.000 militia = 263.000 }

I did a bit more searching last night, and those countries technically still exist, sort-of. One of them still has a province in modern Sweden, but its king (who is at war with me) has 0 Demesne, and I'm not at war with the remaining vassal. The armies are from provinces which were formerly owned by the king of Samogitia, but were annexed by Poland. I didn't think a lord could have 0 demesne and still retain a title.

Apparently the forum does not allow uploads of those file extensions.

Apparently the forum does not allow uploads of those file extensions.
Pack (zip 7z) it then.

Renaming the extension to ck should also work and not alter it inside.

Here is a save from about the time the problem became noticeable. The Pomeranian army shows up first, and a couple of months later the Samogitians arrive through Polish territory. After a couple more months, they start declaring wars on my vassals, then peace out with one and declare on another. Their king has no demesne, but at least one of his vassals is still at war, with troops in the field despite not having a demesne either. One of those provinces actually has TWO armies: one of them demobilized in the Polish province, and the other in the field, at war with me. Thanks for whatever ideas you can come up with.

Attachments

• CK1_Save.zip
    2,5 MB · Views: 0
Here is a save from about the time the problem became noticeable. .... Thanks for whatever ideas you can come up with.

Great. Had no time and nerves to have a look yet, sorry. Been off-computer for most of the day.
Will do tonight and respond right after or tomorrow.

I won't be back until Monday, so no rush. Thanks for looking into it.
Okay i remembered how to deal with that.
Sp you can peace out with both parties.

In each case open the character window of the count, there is the character picture of their liege (top row left)
and by clicking that picture you can open the diplo with them after clicking their shield/COA to offer peace.

Both apparently will have to be offered money for peace.
Samogitia will take a bit more coins, while Pomerania was fine with a 4 coins.
For Samogitia click Sambia (below Memel) or Skane.
For Pomerania the chief of Slupsk (west of Danzig).

Alternatively you can use the console.
Two ways.
One, open the console and write 'byzantine' (without the marks) = Any diplomatic offer gets accepted.
Write the command again to undo the effect.

Two, kill the landless liege. A vassal will inherit the title after death, so that you can proceed to fight them and
occupy land for peace if you don't want to spend cash.

To open the console F12.
To close F12 and ESC or F12 and CTLR.

To get cash write 'gold' into the console.
To kill, open the character window of the character you want to kill and then enter 'die' (without quote marks) into the console.
Unpause -> title becomes landed.
----

I'm also relatively sure that this was known back in the day.
The issue of the landless liege still at war reappeared in CK2, but there it got fixed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the assistance. At least there are work-arounds. I'll try to peace out with the vassals; if that fails, I may try killing off the landless liege via console.

...I'll try to peace out with the vassals...

With the vassals ?
You can't make peace with the vassals.

As i said in the second passage, you open the vassals character/court window to select their liege and from their go to make peace with them,
but the simple variant costs gold. The less simple one requires commands.
So you could use the 'byzantine' command to have your peace offer accepted.

If you don't want to spend gold nore use the 'byzantine ' command, then you have to kill the lieges by 'die' command, while having their character
window selected and open, then the title gets landed and you can then go to beat them and siege their terrritory.

I'm sorry if i expressed myself unclear in my earlier post.
T'was in the middle of the night.

Probably a combination of you expressing yourself in the middle of the night, then me reading it before having my morning coffee. Something got lost in the process. I think I've got it figured out now, but most likely won't get back to the game until the weekend.

..I think I've got it figured out now, ..
If in doubt, i can offer to make peace for you and reupload the save in that state.