Stellaris to be First Ever Grand Strategy Game to Land on Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So my point is, just because people say something should be done or not be done doesn't mean that is correct. So in this case with many people saying it will Fail, doesn't mean it will and can be good on console. Again someone using a non-game reference so I used a non game reference as well.

I was just sorta confused by your (counter)point. Your comment was "many people expected a great SW movie without GL.", and by most metrics, the episode 7 and 8 are huge successes and the majority of movie-goers enjoy the movies. So it sorta went exactly as expected?

A more apt way of using the new Star Wars movies as an example would be that the opinions of a vocal minority really doesn't matter that much for overall success.

the majority of movie-goers enjoy the movies.
not according to viewer ratings, only if you take professional reviews.
by viewer ratings last sw was a mess. and it was a mess. it just shows, if you have enough money, and put in a bit of slapstick, the average monkey-cousin will enjoy it.

also, sometimes a minority is right, if it's the educated one. one big issue with game development is, that usually, the players do not ask for the things they actually want, and often get bored by the game if you grant them too many whishes, because they do not foresee the consequences.

so even if you do a nice star wars or star trek or whatever movie, that gets good reviews from the masses, and only disappoint the minority of hardcore fans, you will pay the price eventually - by then just everybody has forgotten, why some franchise or idea died, or lost its appeal.

overall, as long as console version does not affect complexity of the main game on pc, i do not care. just dont dumb it down pls. not in an age, where console sales are declining again.

I like Paradox but I rather want to see this fail. (Sounds messed up,..)
Pc games with console in context has a VERY bad ring to it.

Make me happy if you could? -> It is not that hard !

Print the Quote from Dnote about Console:
"PC development isn't being impacted by this, we have no intention of dumbing down the experience for anyone. If console players can't handle the depth or complexity of the PC game, even with our awesome new UI, then their missing out, because the PC game isn't going to get less complex or deep."
Format A3 and put it in your Hallway, make a Picture of it and put that at the end of the Starting post of this threat!

clear.png
Respectfully Disagree x 84
  • clear.png
    Agree x 28
  • clear.png
    Helpful x 15
Pleas don`t just let it be as it is!

Valid concern.. but.. I control the strategy games part of the portfolio and I'm a PC player. ;)

<- There is Valid concern, then put it pleas in the start post!

Many people (me including) could better sleep if this would be more addressed as a concern.

Last edited:
Me, a long time gamer and several others, are skeptical about its ability to sell in real terms because of actual experience inside the 'intended markets'. Ergo, I believe this analyst is bad at his job because his calculations are off, due to missing/ignoring important data. A similar situation that I can recall happened a few years ago to the US Sci-Fi channel (Before becoming SyFy) when they introduced wrestling into their programming. Because Science Fiction and Wrestling were popular for males between the ages of 18-35, despite anyone with any modicum of sense being able to tell you that there would be little overlap for the fans. Predictably, it failed horribly. The similarities being that, while the numbers might look good on 'paper', a person who is actually involved with either could tell you from the start it isn't a smart plan.

You and your group of friends are far, far, far from representing any meaningful data on a global scale. I have read other console players who just heard about this game through this news, eager to test it out. I have seen people who got the game on PC happy to hear they could get it on console and play with some of their other friends who only have console...

It might be good to start and think that your little world around you is nowhere representative of any majority.

At the end of the day, this is certainly a bold bet from PDX but if they have the money and were able to find the resources for it, by all mean, why not ? It could open this type of game to people who were not aware of them or who never though they could play them with their console.

I'd be excited for this if I knew it won't have the same DLC policy of the PC version. I can't imagine trying to sell a strategy game on console with for a total ~$150 in base game+ expansion packs. I'll buy it if it comes with all the PC DLC preloaded for $40-60. Make that $30-40, since I already bought the PC version and was massively disappointed that you saved all the interesting concepts that the in-game events hint toward for DLC.

I'd be excited for this if I knew it won't have the same DLC policy of the PC version. I can't imagine trying to sell a strategy game on console with for a total ~$150 in base game+ expansion packs. I'll buy it if it comes with all the PC DLC preloaded for $40-60. Make that $30-40, since I already bought the PC version and was massively disappointed that you saved all the interesting concepts that the in-game events hint toward for DLC.

From what I gather, no DLC except maybe planetoids and the human version will be included. I can't remember what I read earlier now. But I believe Utopia and Apocalypse will be DLC sold separately.

I like Paradox but I rather want to see this fail. (Sounds messed up,..)
Pc games with console in context has a VERY bad ring to it.

Make me happy if you could? -> It is not that hard !

Print the Quote from Dnote about Console:
"PC development isn't being impacted by this, we have no intention of dumbing down the experience for anyone. If console players can't handle the depth or complexity of the PC game, even with our awesome new UI, then their missing out, because the PC game isn't going to get less complex or deep."
Format A3 and put it in your Hallway, make a Picture of it and put that at the end of the Starting post of this threat!

clear.png
Respectfully Disagree x 84
  • clear.png
    Agree x 28
  • clear.png
    Helpful x 15
Pleas don`t just let it be as it is!

<- There is Valid concern, then put it pleas in the start post!

Many people (me including) could better sleep if this would be more addressed as a concern.

If you think the development team on PC will never get asked "how will we turn this into a console mechanic?" you are kidding yourself. If the producers/publishers at Paradox didn't ask this, they wouldn't be doing their job properly.

If you think the development team on PC will never get asked "how will we turn this into a console mechanic?" you are kidding yourself. If the producers/publishers at Paradox didn't ask this, they wouldn't be doing their job properly.

Actually, I think that question will be ask to the dev team who is doing the port. If they were asking the PC team on this, then it would be wast of resource to pay the other team to do the port... Each their job.

why not start with 2.0 though? also i hope modding support is included

Are you asking why start with 1.7 instead of 2.0? My guess is this was started last year if not more so they only had 1.7 to work with. 2.0 wasn't even invented or even thought off is my guess. So that is all they had to work with at the time and it would be too much work and money to keep changing it.

It's only a guess no facts. Not saying I am correct just my guess.

What you would rather we did? Jump on the same bandwagon that every other developer currently is chasing?

We believe our unique flavor of strategy games can work on console, we believe there is an audience for them out there. Sure, this is a risk, but it is one worth taking.

PR rep needed.

As for taking risks? Sure, but to try and be cocky about it?, "if they can't handle it they're missing out", when it won't have anything to do with that. RTS games for console like C&C were fun, but to put Stellaris on there and claim it's going to be the users' problem. Well, wrong. The same goes for your Cities: Skylines. Sure, it runs, but it's controls are not optimized properly for consoles, and I can only foresee that issue getting bigger with a Stellaris release.

You do you. However, don't be surprised when it doesn't work out that well. Especially, the 2.0 release. We all know how that went. (*Hint* 2.0 release was the reason I stopped playing Stellaris, when it dropped.)

*Edit* I'd suggest the "Moderators" if you can even call them that, since it looks like they are inexperienced, learn what actual moderation is, but hey, censorship works too. As for quoting a moderator being an issue? Disable quoting. You disabled your own ratings, so I know you know how to do that as well.

Chop chop.

Last edited:
Are you asking why start with 1.7 instead of 2.0? My guess is this was started last year if not more so they only had 1.7 to work with. 2.0 wasn't even invented or even thought off is my guess. So that is all they had to work with at the time and it would be too much work and money to keep changing it.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. You start with a base and then work with it, so this project was started back at 1.7 and once they get that polished, they can roll out the updates (like 2.0).

I look forward to the console version (especially if this translates to a steamlink option), but think it will probably be worth waiting for the 2.0 update. Hell, even the Le Guin (sp?) update is a total reworking of the game. These are big changes indeed.

Whether it's on PC or Console, it doesn't matter since Stellaris is the most boring Paradox title.
So why did you feel the need to come comment if you don't even play the game?

I've been playing Paradox games for a long time now, and I'll be buying this for XBox One. The fact I already own it on PC is not a big deal for me, as I've gradually drifted more and more to console gaming over the years and really only play Hearts of Iron IV on my PC these days if I'm being honest.

Thanks Paradox :)

Oh yes, definitely preordering this. Can’t wait to play it and get used to it. Too bad Mods on the PS4 are pretty bad, with Sony’s whole thing of, you can only use stuff from the base game in your mod.