Stellaris to be First Ever Grand Strategy Game to Land on Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TinyWiking

Team Lead - Customer Support
Administrator
Paradox Staff
89 Badges
Jul 1, 2015
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Haemimont Games Staff
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • PDXCON 2017 Gold Ticket holder
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • IPO Investor
  • Eugen Systems Staff
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Surviving Mars
Paradox_Pressrelease_banner__1_.png

Paradox Interactive, a publisher and developer of games that push the final frontier, today announced that Stellaris, the sci-fi exploration game from Paradox Development Studio, is teaming up with Tantalus Media to launch on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles with Stellaris: Console Edition. The popular space-exploration game will be the first ever grand strategy game to come to consoles, bringing more deep strategy, resource management, and political intrigue than has ever been available to consolenauts before. Stellaris: Console Edition is playable this week at gamescom 2018 in Hall 9.1 A-060.

A new trailer announcing this pioneering endeavor can be found here:

Featuring the same deep strategic gameplay, rich and diverse alien races and emergent storytelling, Stellaris: Console Edition puts the complexity of the galaxy at your thumbsticks. Whether you’re exploring the unknown, discovering the mysteries of the universe, or conquering it for the glory of your empire, console players have more inter-galactic strategy awaiting them than ever before. Voyagers can choose between standard and deluxe editions (with the deluxe including the Plantoids Species Pack, Leviathans Story Pack and the Utopia Expansion when they are released). Both will include Stellaris version 1.7, with a consistent rollout of popular Stellaris DLC following soon after.

“Grand Strategy is often considered a niche genre even on the PC, but we believe that while a console audience exists, a game like Stellaris simply hasn’t made it to those platforms yet. With the help of Tantalus’ expertise, we’re happy to take that leap!” said Daniel Moregård, Game Director at Paradox Interactive. “Console players can look forward to the true Grand Strategy experience and continued DLC and support after launch with Stellaris: Console Edition.”

Stellaris is a sci-fi grand strategy game from the galactic conquerors at Paradox Development Studio, which allows players to take their personalized empire on their first steps outside of their home system and spread their race across the universe – by diplomacy or by force. Since the game’s launch in May 2016, Stellaris has sold over 1.5 million copies across Earth.

For more information about Stellaris, visit http://www.stellarisgame.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Version 1.7? Oh boy, are we going to go through that again once you update it to 2.0? Personally, I really think you should start with 2.0...

I've got a bad feeling about this

I don't like consoles at all personally, but good luck with branching out to that market! Will be very interesting to see how Tantalus Media and you manage to transpose games as Stellaris to that sector, given how much of the game which depends on having a mouse and a keyboard. Certainly a big challenge which can potentially help you to then learn things to improve the base game on PC. Didn't expect this announcement, at least.

Releasing a console version of a GSG is going to be one hotly discussed decision.

I can't help but think that the game will be nigh unplayable, especially with tile system still in place (before 2.2). As I can't think of one advantage playing on a pad would bring compared to the conventional approach.

I would welcome to be proven wrong.

Not that it could ever convince me to discard mouse and keyboard. For virtually any game I play for that matter.

@TinyWiking, any particular reason why I can't rate posts (agree/disagree/helpful) in this particular thread?

So with dlc support post-launch will we see the game updated with patches past 1.7 as well?

Both will include Stellaris version 1.7, with a consistent rollout of popular Stellaris DLC following soon after.

It states "yes" in the exact same sentence...