Stellaris Survey Insights 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aceparadox

Community Manager (Stellaris)
Jan 9, 2020
Hello Stellaris Fans!

We're finishing up some things before we go on vacation, and from the results of our latest CRM survey, we have a few insights we thought our Community might find interesting! This survey was taken during March and April and was taken from a randomized selection of Stellaris PC and Console users.

survey stellaris.png

And once again we want to say thanks to everyone who participated!
These surveys really help guide the future development of Stellaris, as well as provide valuable feedback for marketing activities, and so much more interested in making your voice heard, and helping to guide the future development of Stellaris?

Stellaris PC Newsletter

Stellaris: Console Edition Newsletter

• 22Like
Reactions:
The top 3 franchises are Star Wars, LotR, Star Trek
Should be in reverse order :mad:

• 7Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
The problem with Stellaris is performance slows down so much, discovering strange new worlds, playing till 2300-2350 or so and then starting a new game, basically becomes the entire game. I have never, not in over a thousand hours of Stellaris, actually fought the War in Heaven or the Crisis, because of performance issues. 2.7 let me break the ~2300 mark with more regularity to the 2350s, but otherwise, nope! Please, please, please, reduce the number of pops, and increase their production to compensate. We went from starting with 8 pops in 2.1 to 24 pops in 2.2. That's a three-fold increase! Increase pop production and impact on ethics by a factor of 3, and cut number of starting pops and pop-growth by the same amount for a quick and dirty fix. Make buildings more powerful since they'll still open at intervals of 5, for example by adding more upgrades that either don't need strategic resources, or, make strategic resource buildings upgradable for the mid/lategame, and add some early game buildings that produce a little of everything, but aren't specialized, and are suitable for that early game when you don't have many planets and building slots.

@grekulf

• 8Like
Reactions:
Exactly when did you make this survey? I come here everyday and didn't saw anything at all? :eek:

• 21Like
Reactions:
Exactly when did you make this survey? I come here everyday and didn't saw anything at all? :eek:

The survey is selected randomly from people who subscribe to the newsletter :)

• 1Like
Reactions:

Good to know, but now i don't know how much it serve to have data from part of the part of the Stellaris community. And more from a Survey we only did know it was made when you show the results :rolleyes:

• 7Like
Reactions:
Good to know, but now i don't know how much it serve to have data from part of the part of the Stellaris community. And more from a Survey we only did know it was made when you show the results :rolleyes:
I was part of this survey. Pretty sure everyone with the newsletter got the email.

Reactions:
I was part of this survey. Pretty sure everyone with the newsletter got the email.

I didn't. It was made on a very small base that i don't think represents at all the player fanbase. See what they have said:

was taken from a randomized selection of Stellaris PC and Console users.

Random people taken only from the ones subscribed to a feature you don't need if you visit the forum regularly. I am not the only one surprised to hear this survey is a thing, many only got to know it existed when it was out :(

What's the stellaris newsletter even do? Point you to dev diaries?

And show you all the things you get to know if you open the forum :rolleyes:

Was performance/endgame mentioned in any questions?
Did they ask you what do you think the worst problem of Stellaris is/ what can be improved?

These are the real questions that matter. The things we want to throw our opinion. I really want to know if this was on the survey. That is the insight we want to survey :cool:

• 1Like
Reactions:
i don't know how much it serve to have data from part of the part of the Stellaris community

Random sampling is always more representative than an open survey. With an open survey, there's a strong bias towards people with strong opinions canvassing for people to take the survey in support of their "side" of something. Controlling for those kinds of biases is way more important than the raw number of samples taken.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Random people taken only from the ones subscribed to a feature you don't need if you visit the forum regularly. I am not the only one surprised to hear this survey is a thing, many only got to know it existed when it was out :(
Realize that there are likely many fans of the game that would consider reading a forum a tedious exercise in wading through a lot of debates and discussion that they're not interested in in order to find the tidbits they want, such as word on upcoming features, when the next DLC will be launched, etc. Many of them would likely consider the forums a toxic environment they want no part of (I'm not saying it is a toxic environment, but where many game-related forums are infamous for devolving into that, it sets their expectations low). A newsletter lets them get word directly from the source without any additional "noise".

One thing we forget is that the forum community is a VERY small subset of all Stellaris players. We're here because we have a passion for the game that exceeds the average player, who typically is a much more casual player and may not feel as strongly as we do about certain flaws in the game. That is not to say that they shouldn't be addressed, just that priorities may differ between us and the rest of the players out there.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Realize that there are likely many fans of the game that would consider reading a forum a tedious exercise in wading through a lot of debates and discussion that they're not interested in in order to find the tidbits they want, such as word on upcoming features, when the next DLC will be launched, etc. Many of them would likely consider the forums a toxic environment they want no part of (I'm not saying it is a toxic environment, but where many game-related forums are infamous for devolving into that, it sets their expectations low). A newsletter lets them get word directly from the source without any additional "noise".

One thing we forget is that the forum community is a VERY small subset of all Stellaris players. We're here because we have a passion for the game that exceeds the average player, who typically is a much more casual player and may not feel as strongly as we do about certain flaws in the game. That is not to say that they shouldn't be addressed, just that priorities may differ between us and the rest of the players out there.

I adore Stellaris and Paradox games. I've been playing them since the early mid 2000's (stated in 06 I do believe) but really visit these forms because they are toxic a lot of time. Just people moaning about the most trivial of things which I don't often see in my long playthough of Paradox's grand Strategy games. Would you say I'm a casual player just because I don't visit these forum to bitch and moan about Stellaris? I'll visit more if it was a much more friendly place as again I adore Stellaris and Paradox are my favourite games company.

Reactions:
I agree with others here. Stellaris has the same problem as CK2 and EU4 where the end game is a slog.

This is an even bigger problem in Stellaris imo than EU4. In EU4 the fog if war lasts at least half way into the game. I think limiting exploration could prolong the interest. Exploration is my favorite.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I wish to see Stellaris go more into sandbox with unlimited RPG potential and stop going just opposite way.

• 3Like
Reactions: