Stellaris - Shattered Ring Origin only spawn yellow stars

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ridixo

Lt. General
51 Badges
May 25, 2018
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Impire
  • Age of Wonders
Description
Shattered Ring Origin only spawn yellow stars

Game Version
Patch 2.6.3

What version do you use?

Steam

What expansions do you have installed?
Synthetic Dawn,
Utopia,
Leviathans Story Pack,
Apocalypse,
Megacorp,
Distant Stars,
Ancient Relics,
Lithoids,
Federations, All of the above

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Today, 16/04/2020, i buy Federations and Lithoids DLC, i create a custom empire, humanoid species and select the SR origin. Since yellow stars are not my favorite type of stars i create another game when the first one produces that kind of celestial body. And again and again and again 50 other games, same empire, same origin, same result. G type of star. I like more blue, bluish-purple or white stars for the background they have, yellow stars nebulous background looks dirty, good for other games not for mine. I decide to check the game files and after looking for the info on the SR origin i found that it can only spawn G types of star.

Check the game files at Stellaris\common\solar_system_initializers\federations_initializers.txt
# Shattered Ring Origin
shattered_ring_start = {
[...]
class = "sc_g"

Then i check the star classes file at Stellaris\common\star_classes\00_star_classes.txt

# Yellow Dwarves
sc_g = {

I get that a SR origin in a trinary system can be complicated, but why only yellow stars? Other origins don't have this arbitrary choice or lack of it. Couldn't you change that so not only yellow stars are produced for this origin? I attach the files i check so if there is some random error with them please tell me. Thanks in advance and please resolve this, it may be a minor problem but for me is not that minor :(

Edit: i have forgotten to add the game version :p

Steps to reproduce the issue.
Just initiate a game with the Shattered Ring origin. You will get the very same type of star, Yellow Dwarves G-type, each time.

Upload Attachment

Attachments

• federations_initializers.txt
    53,1 KB · Views: 1
  • 00_star_classes.txt
    14,9 KB · Views: 2
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Yeah, it would be nice to have different star classes possible. Simply using "rl_starting_stars" instead of "sc_g" would fix this.
More the reason to fix this, if its that easily. Maybe the one in charge of doing the code forgot to put that after completing his job. My first thinking on the error after discovering from where it came was that the "sc_g" was a way to prevent problem with the origin. Since ringworlds can't be constructed in systems with multiple stars, like the ones on your report, putting a single type of star can be useful to test the origin without problems. But leaving only that kind of star lead to only have that kind of star. Surely the devs can find a way to make the origin spawn any kind of single star and patch that on the game. Fine i accept that this is a problem only for my aesthetics tastes but still it should have been done. It's like the scions origin only spawning red stars, is a completely arbitrary designation in the initial system that doesn't correlate to the origin at all. Unless that now there is stated that FE only like yellow stars to build ringworlds :p

Using a binary or trinary system would require either "rl_binary_stars", "rl_binary_starting_stars", or "rl_trinary_stars". "rl_standard_stars" or "rl_starting_stars" are always a single star.

More likely, the devs just copied and pasted one of the vanilla ringworld systems (Sanctuary, Cybrex Alpha, etc) and forgot to enable different star types for it.

Reactions:
Using a binary or trinary system would require either "rl_binary_stars", "rl_binary_starting_stars", or "rl_trinary_stars". "rl_standard_stars" or "rl_starting_stars" are always a single star.

More likely, the devs just copied and pasted one of the vanilla ringworld systems (Sanctuary, Cybrex Alpha, etc) and forgot to enable different star types for it.
Very much probably, its not strange that they have copied and "forgot" to change the star part of the code. Mainly i think the problem comes from this, according to the wiki about Ringworlds:
  • Cannot be built in systems with black holes or multiple stars
Since binary and trinary systems can spawn as initial system i think the problem comes mainly from there. A game can have my bug or yours but not the two. They must have forgot to change things as you said, or someone put "sc_g" to prevent bugs with multiple stars and the devs let it that way to not have problems... until i came and begun to rant about this :D

Perhaps this more correctly belongs in the suggestions forum? I see a valid issue here, but I don't see a bug.

I point this out simply because I think it's more likely to be addressed if it's in that forum.
Good idea, i will do that too. Kinda a grey situation, for me is a bug since isn't stated in any part of the game that SR origin only happens with yellow stars and the game fails to provide a reason for that. But i will fo it so i can get a fix and enjoy the origin. I got Federations for this origin mainly :(