• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MrFreake_PDX

Lt. General
Community Ambassador
10 Badges
Feb 20, 2020
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
Mod Jam Starfish Coding Boy Draft 3.jpg

Hello Stellaris Fans!

Paradox Interactive and NVIDIA are proud to announce the Stellaris Mod Jam 2020!

Three weeks ago we began recruiting Modders for Mod Jam 2020. They had no idea what kind of modding challenge they
signed up for, only that they would have a chance to win a GeForce RTX 2080 Super, from our partners at NVIDIA. For our
first Mod Jam, we chose Origins!

We had 40 Modders sign up, with 3.6 million workshop subscribers between them. The Modders range from people who
have never made a Stellaris mod before, to some of the most subscribed modders on the Steam workshop. Some of the
things that they’ve come up with are absolutely incredible, and we’re really excited to get you folks playing them!

Over the next month we will be showing off the Modder created Origins each individually on social media (please note:
some of these Origins may not be included in the final workshop mod, for various reasons).

The Stellaris Mod Jam 2020 mod should release on December 19th (if all goes according to plan), and then you will have
just under a month to play, and vote on your favorite Origin. The top three Modders (by Community vote) will be entered
into a draw to win the grand prize, a GeForce RTX 2080 Super, donated by our partners at NVIDIA!

Interested in helping test the Origins? Join the Stellaris Mod Jam 2020 discord: https://discord.gg/RPRKwGty2V

And now, for a few no-context screenshots, because what’s a forum post without a few no-context screenshots? :D
Note: Some of these are a work-in-progress, and may not be in the final Mod Jam mod

connor.jpg

by connor

Lerahk.png

by Lerahk

rodahtnov.png

by Rodahtnov
alphaash.png

by AlphaAsh
felis.png

by Felis
guilliman.png

by Guilliman
jasonpepe.jpg

by jasonpepe

RegiZero.png

by RegiZero
NSC2.png

by the NSC2 Team (CaptainX3, LSJHoward, erin, XVCV)
Erdnuss.png

by Erdnuss
mcawesome.png

by McAwesome
drnukelear.png

by DrNukeLear
complex.png

by Complex

Last edited:
  • 25Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
would love to try any of those if mod loading hadn't been broken ever since the last patch was dropped

This is fixed in 2.8.1 :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’m honoured to be given the chance of competing and having my work featured, but also to share the stage with other more well known members of the modding community. I’m looking forwards to what everyone else is making.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
When you say there's just under a month to play and then vote, is the timer meaning for the voting? It'd be awesome if the mod stayed up regardless, because more origins is always nice.

Super excited to see what some of these look like, those pictures have me very curious.

@MrFreake_PDX Did you guys select people and reach out to them if they wanted to participate or was it open to anyone to sign up? If it was open to sign up I missed it entirely and would like to know what to look out for in order not to miss out if there is another one of these (and calling it Mod Jam 2020 suggests there will be another one).

• 1Like
Reactions:
@MrFreake_PDX Did you guys select people and reach out to them if they wanted to participate or was it open to anyone to sign up? If it was open to sign up I missed it entirely and would like to know what to look out for in order not to miss out if there is another one of these (and calling it Mod Jam 2020 suggests there will be another one).
There was an application form and then a number of us were invited to participate. This was the initial post: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-2020-modjam.1439211/#post-27068487.

Sorry you missed out. Hopefully if there are more you’ll get in.

I'm having that weird reaction where I kinda want to test these but I avoid mods so x'D
I’ll drop a few more teasers to help you fail to avoid mods later. ;)

Last edited:
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
How come?

Partially because of all the "new patch broke my mods/I uninstalled mods but am still seeing errors in the game", partially because of "Well I think the game has to be good on its own without mods and you should never buy game to be fixed with mods" and partially because you can often still tell that mods weren't made by same people as main game so it kinda breaks my experience in playing the game when something feels "off".(whether its in artstyle or writing or game design or balance)

My favorite types of mods that I actually use tend to be total conversion mods, bug patches for games' which development has been finished, or "restored removed/dummied out content in the files" mods. I often like concept of many "additional content" mods that aren't just cosmetics, but I don't often use them.

Reactions:
I'm having that weird reaction where I kinda want to test these but I avoid mods so x'D

...Well I think the game has to be good on its own without mods and you should never buy game to be fixed with mods ...

You're missing out. Especially since the game is good on its own, but even better with mods. The game is wide-open for content expansion by modders. I don't mod to fix the game.

...nd partially because you can often still tell that mods weren't made by same people as main game...
I could change my name to that of one of the PDS devs, but that'll get confusing quickly.

Last edited:
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
You're missing out. Especially since the game is good on its own, but even better with mods. The game is wide-open for content expansion by modders. I don't mod to fix the game.

Well its not just "fixing the game" that I think, its that I'm kinda worried. Let's assume I find perfect mod that fits into game seamlessly and improves the experience without it being easy to notice its a mod. Then modder stops working on mod while game doesn't stop getting patched and eventually mod doesn't work anymore with the game and I now have to play game without the mod, so the game feels worse as result.

There is also the "I used a mod, but later official game got updated with similar feature and now I keep comparing how the mod did it vs how the official game does it" scenario. In worst cases the mod version becomes obsolete as result of official version despite it being the one you have learned to like better.

Reactions:
Well its not just "fixing the game" that I think, its that I'm kinda worried. Let's assume I find perfect mod that fits into game seamlessly and improves the experience without it being easy to notice its a mod. Then modder stops working on mod while game doesn't stop getting patched and eventually mod doesn't work anymore with the game and I now have to play game without the mod, so the game feels worse as result.

Modders move on, same as game developers. Lots of modders provide legacy versions of their mods for older versions of the game. If you take a break from the game, come back and find a mod you liked has been discontinued, you unsubscribe from it. Or roll-back to a version of the game with a working version of the mod.

You're worrying too much and missing out as a result.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also this ModJam is endorsed by PDX. That means that the relationship between PDS and modders just got upgraded. That can only be good for players who like quality free content. There are several PDS staffers organising/overseeing/involved with this competition, and bringing their own QA resources to it.

• 4Like
Reactions: