Stellaris: MegaCorp Announcement!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
in my opinion, as things like Warrior Culture, Distinguished Admiralty, Shadow Council or Imperial Cult simply do nothing but add a stat bonus, when in reality, it really should change how your empire works. Warrior Culture should make peace undesirable and weaken your empire, Distinguished Admiralty should make it so that Admirals can retire and enter the (non-existent) political system to become Governors etc., Shadow Council should make illuminati type events where you influence your entire nation and its people occur, and Imperial Cult should have your species act like a cult, not unlike a Hive Mind
Yes, I quite agree. In fact, Megacorp seems to go in the same way, and government features like: "Private military companies" that simply grants a bonus, but does not take advantage the opportunity to introduce new mechanics of mercenaries or volunteers.
I think that this whole thing is quite untapped, and could be exploited in the future, if Paradox wanted to.

Yes, I quite agree. In fact, Megacorp seems to go in the same way, and government features like: "Private military companies" that simply grants a bonus, but does not take advantage the opportunity to introduce new mechanics of mercenaries or volunteers.
I think that this whole thing is quite untapped, and could be exploited in the future, if Paradox wanted to.

Actually they do change a lot of the civis to change more than a simple stat. See how technocracy changed from "+1 tech option" to "part of your leaders become science leader and your scientists will produce unity" or even more pronounced things like slaver guilds changing from "+slave output" to "a part of your population will always be enslaved" or agrarian idyll which will now focus on building farming districts instead of cities for more pop cap

Actually they do change a lot of the civis to change more than a simple stat. See how technocracy changed from "+1 tech option" to "part of your leaders become science leader and your scientists will produce unity" or even more pronounced things like slaver guilds changing from "+slave output" to "a part of your population will always be enslaved" or agrarian idyll which will now focus on building farming districts instead of cities for more pop cap
If that is true, I hope they continue that way. It would be VERY interesting that the traits had such a stronger influence on the game mechanics.

Not particularly excited by this, considering it likely extends the amount of changes made to the base game made by 2.2 (which is going to invalidate a tonne of my mods). I can see the appeal, but I'd prefer an extension/change to governing ethics before we go into this. Base Stellaris ethics are simply not diverse enough, and with how lacking they are, the civics have to make up for it. An entire DLC just for one civic is simply not worth it in my opinion, as things like Warrior Culture, Distinguished Admiralty, Shadow Council or Imperial Cult simply do nothing but add a stat bonus, when in reality, it really should change how your empire works. Warrior Culture should make peace undesirable and weaken your empire, Distinguished Admiralty should make it so that Admirals can retire and enter the (non-existent) political system to become Governors etc., Shadow Council should make illuminati type events where you influence your entire nation and its people occur, and Imperial Cult should have your species act like a cult, not unlike a Hive Mind. And yet, the only thing that is being changed is adding in a political system for a single civic, which is f-ed, when there is currently no difference between how a materialist runs an empire, and a spiritualist runs an empire. Maybe there are some changes made in 2.2 that allows for some differentiation in terms of desired pop etc., but I don't know if that's an actual thing. Now, that's not to say I don't think this DLC won't have enough content, I just don't see myself ever really going for a MegaCorp.

I too would like to remaind you that the sweeping changes made by megacorp flat out necessitate a rework of many different civics.