Stellaris Launcher - "Game still running" & failing to log in

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jgpollard

Private
42 Badges
Apr 18, 2020
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
Hi,

Since the last update whenever I exit the Stellaris game and try to go back into it, steam tells me the game is still running. I've checked all the running functions on the PC and, its not, so I have to close steam down and open it up every time I want to play.

I also find that normally on a fresh boot of the launcher following my PC being turned off the launcher does not connect and cannot load me in, I then have to shut steam down and try again. It usually works on the second attempt.

Both these issues have only really started since the last update to it. Not huge issues, more quality of life. But if you have any suggestions to sort this that would be great!

Thanks!!! :)

When you get that error, run up Task Manager-processes. Do you see any of these still running?

stellaris.exe
dowser.exe
cefprocess.exe
bootstrapper-v2.exe
paradox launcher.exe

If so, kill it in there and see if that allows you to run the game again.

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

I could see a "Steam Client Bootstrapper" open. - Not sure if this is related at all. When I did try to close this it wouldn't close so I have to kill all the steam options till it closes down.

That's part of Steam, not our game or launcher. You may in fact have a Steam issue then.

Does this only affect this game, not say HOI4, EU4 or CK2?

I don't have any of those. But this is the only one I've had the issue with so far. I'll check with Steam as well and see if there is anything on that might be doing it. Perhaps I need to reinstall it and see if that works.

Thanks for the advice. If anything changes I'll let you know!

Oh, I do have them, I just have never installed them. I've not got this issue with any other game on steam, just Stellaris.

It's not a huge pain, but with the launcher being fussy and only successfully loading my profiles and mod playlists 50% the times I load it up, it just means I have to do 2/3 resets of steam before I can play Stellaris each time.

Here's the process in case you want to try it:

- move any valued save games elsewhere, and user_empire_designs.txt from /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ if you have made any custom empires or races.
- "uninstall" in Steam-Stellaris
- exit the Steam app entirely
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris AND Documents/Paradox/Stellaris folders
- delete everything in the Steam folder EXCEPT steam.exe and the SteamApps folder
- run steam.exe to rebuild all that
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

Good luck!