Stellaris: Dev Diary Summer Hiatus

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[...]

When whoever is in charge decides to come down off their mountain and make some form of announcement it will be interesting to see what reaction is to their new plans.

It will be massive disappointment if it hasnt something to do with pop growth, pop management, micro management help or further AI improvements. These fields earn so much critics...

• 1Like
Reactions:
When I first bought Stellaris, I knew that it'd be a couple years before things got fully fleshed out and I didn't have a problem with the wait.

Now that we are here, its been a bumpy ride and I hate to say it...but it looks like failure. Interest is ebbing, devs are frustrated (either this is the longest vacation ever or they didn't even bother to let anyone know they are back to work, pick your poison) and new features are dreaded by segments of the fanbase, not anticipated.

That isn't a good look.

When whoever is in charge decides to come down off their mountain and make some form of announcement it will be interesting to see what reaction is to their new plans.
July 2020 average players: 12,705.6 peak players: 18,930
July 2019 average players: 10,976.2 peak players: 17,730
July 2018 average players: 9,590.2 peak players: 16,446
July 2017 average players: 7,894.7 peak players: 14,155
July 2016 average players: 6,581.6 peak players: 13,827

So the number of players are growing but interest is ebbing huh?

• 7Haha
Reactions:

I'm skeptical only of the 2020 data. It's impossible to know how the global lock-downs have affected the number of people playing computer games.

Maybe the trend will continue, and this year isn't an anomaly, and next summer will have even more players.

Or maybe all the summer-time lock-down players will be back at work next summer, and dedicated players (of which I consider myself with 2.5k hours) will be long gone, unless currently broken core mechanics get fixed (i.e. pop growth, pop management, fleet management, UI, AI, busted mid-game crisis, & busted endgame crises).

Don't get me wrong, I love Stellaris, and there is a lot about it that is amazing. But right now it's like a car with cracked windows, leaking oil, and flat tires. You *could* drive it, and you might even get where you want to go, but it's going to be a bumpy, frustrating ride, and I would advise anyone I care about to seek alternative transport.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm skeptical only of the 2020 data. It's impossible to know how the global lock-downs have affected the number of people playing computer games.

Maybe the trend will continue, and this year isn't an anomaly, and next summer will have even more players.

Or maybe all the summer-time lock-down players will be back at work next summer, and dedicated players (of which I consider myself with 2.5k hours) will be long gone, unless currently broken core mechanics get fixed (i.e. pop growth, pop management, fleet management, UI, AI, busted mid-game crisis, & busted endgame crises).

Don't get me wrong, I love Stellaris, and there is a lot about it that is amazing. But right now it's like a car with cracked windows, leaking oil, and flat tires. You *could* drive it, and you might even get where you want to go, but it's going to be a bumpy, frustrating ride, and I would advise anyone I care about to seek alternative transport.

While I am often a nay sayer about the state of the game, those numbers do seem to show a pretty standard growth.

I think the thing is the game is well advertised and is still effectively *the* space 4X at the moment. The game also isn't too apparently problematic until you've played it a bit and see the issues the game has. The other 4x games either look even less polished on casual glance, or are Endless Space 2, which doesnt seem as attractive to newcomers.

The 2.6/2.7 'fixes' also likely bought the game a lot of good will, even if ultimatley it didnt do enough. The game's poor state isn't as well communicated as other games that are arguably in better states. The one time it approached critical mass PDX actually announce they were doing something.

Reactions:
Please keep posts on topic and productive please, and avoid personal attacks and arguments.

Reactions:
Very Funny Ashantai...
There were no personal attacks nor arguments from me, i only quoted and ?answered? a post and my post still got deleted and the other didnt, only because I said something that was TRUE and not in pdx favor. If that's how you plan on keeping your player base, good luck.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Very Funny Ashantai...
There were no personal attacks nor arguments from me, i only quoted and ?answered? a post and my post still got deleted and the other didnt, only because I said something that was TRUE and not in pdx favor. If that's how you plan on keeping your player base, good luck.
If your post consists in answering a now-deleted post (or several) it will also get deleted

Reactions:

WOW, here we are again and compare absolute numbers.

It's more interesting to compare relative ones ( in % ) ...
Although challenging, we’ve had a great start to the year. The launch of Federations was a huge success for us as a game and we passed 3 million base game copies sold in March.
This makes 3 million sold copies / owners of Stellaris for march 2020. It's hard do find complete informations, but for february 2018 I've found that Stellaris had made 1.5 million sold copies / owners: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...n-copies-sold-apocalypse-dlc-available-today/ ...

So, I know february isn't march and march isn't july, but as I said it's hard to find complete informations, but I will take what we have nevertheless: 12,705.6 average players ( or 18,930 peak players ) for july 2020 divided with 3 million sold copies / owners of Stellaris for march 2020 makes 0,0042 ( or 0,0063 ) x 100 makes 0,42% ( or 0,63% ) of "active" players. 9,590.2 average players ( or 16,446 peak players ) for july 2018 divided with 1.5 million sold copies / owners of Stellaris for february 2018 makes 0,0064 ( or 0,0110 ) x 100 makes 0,64% ( or 1,10% ) of "active" players. So long story short: Yeah, "interest is ebbing", because ( from july 2018 to july 2020 ) the number of average players ( or peak players ) hasn't increased accordingly ( 100% ( it's just 32,49% ( or 15,10% ) ) compared to the number of sold copies / owners ( from 1.5 ( february 2018 ) to 3 million ( march 2020 ): 100% ).

Yeah and before someone else tries to state his / her own "logic": My guess is that these covid-19-lock-downs had influenced the number of average ( or peak ) players positively ( in favour for Paradox ) so that the actual number would most likely be smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Gotta love the soft core censorship on these forums

any chance to see the video outside youtube.?

cant see in denmark becourse youtube is trying to force artists and kodak to make s... agreement forcing artist to get less for there work

Okay, I think that was enough people throwing incomplete data and oversimplified math at each other for me.

Can we have some content to discuss again please :)?

Okay, I think that was enough people throwing incomplete data and oversimplified math at each other for me.

Can we have some content to discuss again please :)?

This was discussed many times over many threads: The lesser the Devs communicate, the more toxic the forum gets. Its just a sympton of disappointment from the playerbase.

Reactions:
This was discussed many times over many threads: The lesser the Devs communicate, the more toxic the forum gets. Its just a sympton of disappointment from the playerbase.
The prolonged silence just comes across as if the company doesn't really care about this product. Their social media feed is filled with advertisements for the console edition update, advertisements for other games that are not Stellaris and even the game itself is now a part of the advertisement platform. If they don't seem to care then why should we?

Reactions:
I guess censoring it's player base is a form of communication.

It has certainly sent a message to me.

I'm just gonna add that it's definitely not a positive message.

Also just wait for it, all of these messages will be deleted soon because it's "off-topic".

• 4Like
Reactions:
Super Secret.png

Well, we know the devs have been working for more than a week (and almost certainly longer, considering that they were past the ideas and initial coding and into the "let's actually try this version out" stage. Probably only to see if systems actually work and don't break the game horribly, but that means they're right at the standard for a stellaris release /s

Reactions:
Commence the speculation on version naming! :p

Either someone's a fan of Stargate Atlantis, and it might thus be related to more precursor stuff, or otherwise it could refer to the sunken continent of Atlantis, which would be more inline with terraforming changes. Either way, nothing about population, which is precisely why it's probably included, since codenames are supposed to obfuscate the actual content :p

Reactions: