• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #90: Official Sound Track

Greetings!

Welcome to a new filler dev diary for Stellaris, normal service will resume next week according to the game’s illustrious leader, @Wiz.

This week we wanted to talk to you about music for Stellaris and what our intentions are with it. Since the game came out, we’ve continuously added new music through the paid content that has been released, but to date, have not made this music available outside of the game itself. Going forward, our plan is to ensure that all music for Stellaris is available through other channels as well, as it is excellent and we’re aware that our fans enjoy listening to it even when they aren’t playing the game (not sure when that is, but apparently so).

The first part of this endeavour will be to make the music available through Steam. Rather than add multiple new music packs each time we create new music, we will be rolling all existing and new music into the Stellaris Official Sound Track (OST). In conjunction with this, the price of the OST on Steam, will increase from $4.99 to $6.99 (USD or regional equivalent), with the information displayed on the store page changed to reflect that the OST is all music ever created for Stellaris (this price change will apply to all countries). This is going to be a living OST, it will contain music from the base game, Leviathans, Utopia, Synthetic Dawn and all future paid content as well, for one fixed price.

The price change and update to add the additional music will occur on Thursday 2nd November 2017. That is two weeks from today.

Those of you interested in buying the OST, now is a great time to do it, before we change the price. Everyone who currently owns the OST, and those that own it by the 2nd November, will naturally get all the music at no extra charge.

The next step after this will be release all the music onto streaming services, such as Spotify. Currently you can find the base game music on Spotify, but we are in the process of updating our label with Spotify which should be done in the next couple of months. Once that is done, the rest of Stellaris’ music will be uploaded there as well, and we’ll announce it through the community channels when it is done.

To recap, here is the important information:

Stellaris OST on Steam
  • Price change from $4.99 to $6.99 on Thursday 2nd November (USD or regional equivalent).
  • OST will contain all music for Stellaris, existing and new, updated with each new release.
Stellaris OST on Spotify
  • All new music will be uploaded to Spotify by the end of the year (if all goes to plan).
Stellaris OST for Nova/Galaxy owners
  • You will also get all the songs we add in the future
  • Please note that you will still be able to buy the Stellaris OST in Steam as that has a different item ID than the game bundle, hence Steam doesn't know you already own the OST!
To finish this off, here is a screenshot from @Wiz of something… not sure what.

2017_10_17_1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
SO, shipyards will now be per-system. You build a fortress and then add shipyards to it.

What are shipyard? You think that's not a spaceport?

Shipyards are part of this new Citadel thingie. Looks like having 6 shipyards on it allows you to construct 6 ships in parallel.

Sol Citadel....

I’m commander Shepard and this is my favorite Stellaris Dev Diary on the Citadel

What are shipyard? You think that's not a spaceport?
Specifically, it appears that your spaceport can be expanded with multiple shipyard facilities to make multiple ships at once.

EDIT: I'm assuming that "Sol Citadel" is just, I dunno, a named spaceport, but I suppose it's possible that a "Citadel" is its own unique thing, perhaps the mega-station we've seen previously. Its gotta have some additional functions, though, because its interface has tabs at the bottom. Maybe a special sort of Habitat?

Specifically, it appears that your spaceport can be expanded with multiple shipyard facilities to make multiple ships at once.

EDIT: I'm assuming that "Sol Citadel" is just, I dunno, a named spaceport, but I suppose it's possible that a "Citadel" is its own unique thing, perhaps the mega-station we've seen previously. Its gotta have some additional functions, though, because its interface has tabs at the bottom. Maybe a special sort of Habitat?

Question is how many shipyards can each Citadel have, how soon can get the ability to build Citadels, and lastly can Citadels be build in any system?

I'm also hoping they'll solve the issue of doom-stacks. Infect, if they have a solution, that's the first thing I would like to hear about when they resume feature Dev dairies, next week.

It's certainly a standard planet interface, so I assume this "301 Citadel" is some kind of planet-like new megastructure. What we see is the third tab "Shipyard". The second tab is probably "Defense". Now what does the first tab look like?

We have, by and large, gotten three 1.9 teases:

1) Some kind of large complex space station with many sub-stations around it in orbit of a system's stars.

2) Galactic map teases showing that they're implementing the new border system they discussed much earlier this year: a mechanic where borders don't expand from outpost/colonies but where you need to claim individual systems one by one. (Seemingly with system-adjacency based on hyperlanes, even for non-hyperlane ftl empires.)

3) Today, a 'citadel' screen showing a "Sol Citadel" with six shipyards that can build six ships in parallel.

Conclusion:

They're changing the border mechanics so that in 1.9, in order to claim a system you will need to build a Citadel on top of that system's star.

In addition Citadels will replace planetary spaceports. You will be able to expand Citadels with multiple shipyards, allowing a single Citadel to build many ships in parallel. Thus removing the micromanagement of clicking individual spaceports 10x for fleet construction. Or the issue of longs waits for ships from all over your empire to gather at the rally point.

Additionally, one thing mentioned when discussing the border change earlier this year was the idea that 'Citadels' wouldn't be destructible like Frontier Outposts are now. Rather they would be occupied, like habitats. Whether or not that's how they're implementing it now, who knows. Though it makes sense, as allowing massive 12-shipyard citadels to be permanently destroyed might make it too crippling to lose a war past the early game. (And losing a war can already be pretty crippling as is.)

Last edited:
I think, and hope, that this "Sol citadel" is a new construction, leaving the space port as a mostly civilian/week-defense installation and this shipyard as the military/civilian ship producer. That would be like what Wiz said in a stream, I don't remember what of them exactly, but he said he didn't like how spaceports worked, and that he want a way to focus ship production in specific systems whit shipyard producing multiple ships at the time. Soooo, this and the other hints point out that next patch would be the so expected "war redesign" :D