• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #90: Official Sound Track

Greetings!

Welcome to a new filler dev diary for Stellaris, normal service will resume next week according to the game’s illustrious leader, @Wiz.

This week we wanted to talk to you about music for Stellaris and what our intentions are with it. Since the game came out, we’ve continuously added new music through the paid content that has been released, but to date, have not made this music available outside of the game itself. Going forward, our plan is to ensure that all music for Stellaris is available through other channels as well, as it is excellent and we’re aware that our fans enjoy listening to it even when they aren’t playing the game (not sure when that is, but apparently so).

The first part of this endeavour will be to make the music available through Steam. Rather than add multiple new music packs each time we create new music, we will be rolling all existing and new music into the Stellaris Official Sound Track (OST). In conjunction with this, the price of the OST on Steam, will increase from $4.99 to $6.99 (USD or regional equivalent), with the information displayed on the store page changed to reflect that the OST is all music ever created for Stellaris (this price change will apply to all countries). This is going to be a living OST, it will contain music from the base game, Leviathans, Utopia, Synthetic Dawn and all future paid content as well, for one fixed price.

The price change and update to add the additional music will occur on Thursday 2nd November 2017. That is two weeks from today.

Those of you interested in buying the OST, now is a great time to do it, before we change the price. Everyone who currently owns the OST, and those that own it by the 2nd November, will naturally get all the music at no extra charge.

The next step after this will be release all the music onto streaming services, such as Spotify. Currently you can find the base game music on Spotify, but we are in the process of updating our label with Spotify which should be done in the next couple of months. Once that is done, the rest of Stellaris’ music will be uploaded there as well, and we’ll announce it through the community channels when it is done.

To recap, here is the important information:

Stellaris OST on Steam
  • Price change from $4.99 to $6.99 on Thursday 2nd November (USD or regional equivalent).
  • OST will contain all music for Stellaris, existing and new, updated with each new release.
Stellaris OST on Spotify
  • All new music will be uploaded to Spotify by the end of the year (if all goes to plan).
Stellaris OST for Nova/Galaxy owners
  • You will also get all the songs we add in the future
  • Please note that you will still be able to buy the Stellaris OST in Steam as that has a different item ID than the game bundle, hence Steam doesn't know you already own the OST!
To finish this off, here is a screenshot from @Wiz of something… not sure what.

2017_10_17_1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how almost everyone goes...music change ladidatida....
Screen shot....extrapolate and speculate.

So, my guess is, that the Citadel (Which might just be a renamed name for a spaceport) has multiple slots. Which you can either fill with a module, which increases the speed with which a ship is built, reduces the maintenance costs for minerals and energy or reduces upgrade costs. Those 3 modifiers seem to indicate those.

So you can either build 6 ships at a time, or you can build 4, but faster.

Rather than umpteen users in the same boat, myself included, all bombarding support tickets over the same issue, can you not just give someone in support a nudge please, i.e. @TinyWiking? Must be easier performing a retroactive fix for all rather than a per enquiry one.

This is an existing issue with how CKII and EUIV bundles/collections are listed on Steam too; for example "Collection - Europa Universalis IV: Ultimate Music Pack" isn't marked as owned despite owning the component parts, the same goes for "Collection - Crusader Kings II: Ultimate Unit Pack", etc.

I am following it up from my side, but giving all the moving parts, having it logged in the system helps avoid it slipping through any cracks.

You should, but can you submit a Support ticket, so our team can look into this. There might be a peculiar way that they've set up the bundle on Steam that causes it to behave differently to how we think it should. https://support.paradoxplaza.com
It's the same issue as with EU4 pre-release DLC.
They are not listed as owned on Steam even though they are.

Edit: It also causes this issue.

The issue also appears with the Nova edition too, Im having the same issue of the OST being in my Stellaris folder but not listed under steam's owned DLC

Quick follow up, this does appear to be how the Galaxy/Nova editions were created in Steam, we're looking into the solution. But the fact remains that if you own the Stellaris OST, whether from a direct purchase of it or through the Galaxy/Nova editions, you will receive all music for Stellaris that we have released and will release.

I expect that these "Citadel" structures will be more of a rally point that can command other spaceports: you queue up ships to be built, and it distributes those out to the rest of the star system, it has it's own building capacity as well of course.

I've updated the first post (like a ninja!) but I'll repeat myself here:
  • If you own the Nova or Galaxy edition you will be provided with all the music we add in the future free of charge
  • You will still be able to buy the Stellaris OST from Steam as that item has a different ID than the bundle for Nova and Galaxy, hence Steam doesn't know you already own it

I've updated the first post (like a ninja!) but I'll repeat myself here:
  • If you own the Nova or Galaxy edition you will be provided with all the music we add in the future free of charge
  • You will still be able to buy the Stellaris OST from Steam as that item has a different ID than the bundle for Nova and Galaxy, hence Steam doesn't know you already own it
I assume that buying the soundtrack separately if I already own Nova/Galaxy edition will not actually give me anything new, only transfer some money to Valve and you? Is that correct?

EDIT: Excluding buying it as a gift, of course.

I assume that buying the soundtrack separately if I already own Nova/Galaxy edition will not actually give me anything new, only transfer some money to Valve and you? Is that correct?

EDIT: Excluding buying it as a gift, of course.
This is correct and Valve will love you forever. Your wallet, not so much :p.

In the screenshot we can see that Wiz is building battleships and can build 6 ships at a time. My guess is that the number of buildable ships is dependant on research i. e.: In the current version you need to research level 6 spaceports in order to build battleships, so in what I assume will be 1.9, we'll only be able to build one ship at a time in the beginning, 2 ships with the level 2 spaceport replacement-tech (as just getting corvette assembly-yards and nothing else would probably end up pretty pointless, assuming of course that spaceports will be gone by the next major update), 3 ships at a time with destroyers, etc...
That would be similar to how science ships are being handled right now: You have to micromanage everything from surveying to special projects/build ships individually at first, but by the mid-game you could let the science ships auto-explore/order your ships in bulk.

To finish this off, here is a screenshot from @Wiz of something… not sure what.

2017_10_17_1.png

I like wiz has the picture just slightly cutting off stuff for us to see.

I see you there 3 tabs to stuff that IS NOT a planet... wonder if there's an upgrade tab and whatnot.

If I plan to buy all future DLCs, how's buying this "Stellaris: Original Game Soundtrack" (now for 4.99€) different than unzipping "/data/steam/steamapps/common/Stellaris/dlc/dlc016_synthetic_dawn/dlc016.zip" ?