• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #85: Decadence and Ascension Path Changes

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is the last dev diary for the 1.8 'Čapek' update, and will be going over the introduction of Awakened Empire Decadence and some changes coming to the three Ascension Paths and Megastructures. Decadence is a free feature in the 1.8 update, while the Ascension Path and Megastructure changes require the Utopia expansion.

Awakened Empire Decadence
Awakened Empires were added to the game as a way of throwing a new challenge at the player in the late-game. They are intended to be formidable foes, and only the absolutely most powerful player empires are meant to be able to take them on alone. However, this could lead to an unintended game state where the Awakened Empire had conquered or subjugated all regular empires and effectively 'won', with the player being stuck as an AE subject until the end of time. In order to address this, we've added a new mechanic called Decadence for Awakened Empires. Decadence is effectively a meter, going from 0 to 100, that starts filling up for Awakened Empires once a certain amount of time has passed since awakening. The larger they are (both in terms of owned planets and subjugated empires), the faster it builds up. Decadence reduces Awakened Empire resource income and fleet power, and also increases the rebelliousness of their subjects, and has very large penalties at high levels of Decadence. What this means it that while an Awakened Empire might start very strong, and grow even stronger as they expand, that very expansion will eventually turn into decline, until they're weakened to the point where the rest of the galaxy can rebel and overthrow them - if you end up their subject, you just have to be patient, build up your forces, and wait for the right moment to take back your freedom. Awakened Empires have also been changed so that they prefer to subjugate other empires (though still taking some planets as well) to conquering them outright, so there should always be a collection of subjects chafing under the precursor yoke and biding their time.
2017_09_07_1.png

Ascension Path Changes
One of the most loved features in Utopia is the Ascension Paths - the ability to choose an 'end goal' for your empire and species in the form of Psionic, Synthetic or Biological Ascension. However, the decision to restrict the Psionic and Synthetic paths based on ethics was less popular, and though I think the reasoning for it is sound (making ethics more diverse), this is a case where I think there is a valid case to say that balance should take a step back in favor of letting the player decide the path or their own empire. For this reason, we've lifted the Spiritualist-only restriction on psionics and have opened up for Spiritualists to research robotics and synthetically ascend. We have also removed the Materialist-only restriction on AI Citizen Rights.

To compensate for this loss, Spiritualists have received a buff in the form of stronger Temples, and Materialists have been given a new living standard called 'Academic Privilege' that boosts happiness and research output at the cost of more consumer goods. However, though we've lifted the hard restriction, the impact of the ascension paths on ethics attraction and faction happiness remain. This means that, for example, a Spiritualist empire that decides to Synthetically Ascend will have significant troubles with unhappy factions and materialist ethics drift, and similarly, the pursuit of Psionics will cause increased Spiritualist attraction and the likely creation of a strong Spiritualist faction.

In addition to these more general changes, there's a few more path-specific changes and additions:
Psionic: Buffed traits and Psi Corps building, and added an alert to tell you when the Shroud is ready for use. Additionally, psionically awakening other species in your empire now happens more often.
Synthetic: Added the ability to assimilate new biological pops into synthetic bodies, and the addition of robomodding significantly buffs this path. Synthetic and Cyborg leader traits were nerfed a bit to compensate.
Biological: Increased the total trait points by 1, and reduced the cost of advanced traits such as Robust.
2017_09_07_2.png

Megastructure Changes
The headline feature of Utopia was the Megastructures, massive constructions requiring tens of thousands of minerals and decades to construct. A frequent criticism we have received for the Megastructures is that they simply do not feel significant enough, with comments on how the Dyson Sphere should realistically be producing millions of energy, and so on. We've made some changes in 1.8 that we hope will address some of these complaints, though I want to preface this by saying that Megastructures are not and will never be 'realistic', nor is Stellaris meant to be a realistic game in the first place. However, they are meant to feel impressive and special, and when a handful of Habitats with solar power processors can match a Dyson Sphere in output, that impressiveness tends to fade, no matter whether it's actually balanced or not.

For this reason, we have decided to make a change to the Dyson Sphere and Science Nexus. Both of these Megastructures have been majorly buffed, with a finished Dyson Sphere now producing 1000 energy and a fully upgraded Science Nexus outputting a total of ~750 science. However, they have been changed so that each empire can now only build one of each, similar to the Sentry Array. This means that they can be very powerful without having to massively increase the build time or cost to prevent them from simply being spammed. Ringworlds have not been changed, and can be built in any number you want, indirectly buffing the effectiveness of the Circle of Life perk.

Additionally, we've made a tweak to the Master Builders perk. This perk, when taken, will now give you the Mega-Engineering technology if you do not already have it, similar to how World Shaper gives Atmospheric Manipulation and Mastery of Nature gives blocker techs. This allows for reliable access to Mega-Engineering for empires that want to focus on Megastructure construction.
2017_09_07_3.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll post the full patch notes for 1.8 and Synthetic Dawn. See you then!

Last edited:
I feel like the next two updates will be this:

1.9 - War update - will restructure how wars are waged and try to eliminate doomstacks

DLC - Titans and planet killers

2.0? - Diplomacy Update - Adding more flavour and building a few new mechanics to add zest to empire interactions

DLC - Espionage and Federation UN option.

EDIT: This isn't what I want, but I feel will likely happen

Honestly, I'd prefer it to be...

1.9- Diplomacy update/Federation merging mechanics

DLC- Covert Operations

2.0 War update, Titans, Plnet killers

DLC- Big story pack full of more events that include interactions with other stellar nations as well as things within them.

I expect something along these lines for the next update:

Next major expansion will be both "war and peace". Focused in warfare and other diplomatic, non-agressive options for dealing with other empires, and a massive overhaul of the game's core mechanics regarding fleet mobility, galactic geography and warfare.

Free base game update regarding:

- New and improved rules of war
- Galactic geography
- New diplomatic deals and mechanics for federation buidling
- Added cultural propaganda or some other kind of "soft power" mechanic as part of the core game
- Reworked tradition trees and ethois that accomodate these new additions
- More fleshed out aspects already in game such as ascensions

Exclusive, meaty DLC in the same vein of Utopia:

- Some Pan-Galactic senate a la "Space UN"
- Added a peaceful victory condition to go along with said "Space UN"
- Added spyionage, stealth ships and black ops systems
- Additional exclusive technologies and traditions regarding spyionage and warfare, further extending the tech tree
- Planet busters, dreaghnouts, doomsday devices and other types of cool super weapons

Small storypack: Primitive hiveminds & primitive synthethic civs. Might end up being free content in order to flesh out other parts of the game (a man can dream!)

Do we have confirmation that they're even considering planet killers? (honest question)
As others have mentioned, Wiz has said a few times in the streams and forums that they will eventually implement planet killers in some form.
The reason I mentioned destroying megastructures is because Wiz has talked about how not being able to destroy them is why some design decisions were made, such as no shipyards for habitats.

DLC- Covert Operations

DLC- Big story pack full of more events that include interactions with other stellar nations as well as things within them.
On the streams Wiz mentions a lot about how they've been discussing ideas for improving war, so I'm quite confident the next expansion will be war, followed by diplomacy.
However, even if the next expansion is war it can't solely be about combat. It will have to be accompanied by valid strategic reasons to split fleets (e.g. rudementary trade).

That said, 1.9 is probably going to be a balance/QOL patch, judging by PDXs track record.

I really like that you has removed these limitation.

But I don't feel that taking an entire perk for just 3 buildings is good enough. I agree that 750 unique nexus is much buffed against ol' good way of tons of smaller nexuses. However, dyson sphere that gives you 1k only is just 2.5x better than the old one, and I don't think that it worth it. In 1.6 nexus was much worse than dyson sphere, now you just have exchanged them. You will get better balance in the future, but I have already the feeling that dyson sphere becomes underpowered, especially comparing to other wonders such as sentry arrays. I understand your thoughts "hey, it's a MEGASTRUCTURE, so they must be unique and really cool, not a building you spam everywhere", but in this way dyson sphere must be buffed. Now it looks like a nerf for a sphere and the large boost for the nexus.

Being said about diplomacy, I'd really like some options from MoO and others old school strategies, e.g. trade for making a peace with someone or forcing to make peace. It's really annoying, that you have two small empires and you want to conquer one while the second is declaring the war to this one. It just taking all the planets and I have to face the new growed empire that may be not that easy to take down. I'd like to say 'hey, make peace or I declare the war. If you do so, I give you 500 minerals per month". Take the smaller empire that otherwise could be conquered by this guy. And finally break this trade offer and just take the second one. It would be really cool.

Last edited:

DLC- Covert Operations

1.9 Diplomacy + war update. Extended delay to make up for both. This way you can tie the two together far better than with one then the other.

Still waiting on today's patch note post.

Might have missed it if this was already asked in one of the previous twenty pages....

On dyson/nexus structures being limited to one per empire.... how would that restriction apply, if at all, should you for example build a science nexus, and then come across a mangled nexus pre-built, and restore that one?

Likewise, what if you have one of those structures already, and then capture a rival empire's system which also has one of those structures in it?

Might have missed it if this was already asked in one of the previous twenty pages....

On dyson/nexus structures being limited to one per empire.... how would that restriction apply, if at all, should you for example build a science nexus, and then come across a mangled nexus pre-built, and restore that one?

Likewise, what if you have one of those structures already, and then capture a rival empire's system which also has one of those structures in it?
From what I've gathered... (some of this may be incorrect, as it's based on various statements that don't fully cover everything)
If you currently have one, you can repair one.
If you have never built one, you can build one.
If you don't currently have one, you can build one.
You can possess as many at one time as you can acquire.

"Planet Killers"

I was just thinking earlier about how there isn't anything like that.

Anyway, these changes seem good to me. FE's have been a pain in finishing the game.

If a finishes Dyson Sphere puts out 1000, will the first level that actually gives you energy put out 250?