• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #84: Čapek Feature Roundup (part 2)

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is a continuation of the feature round-up in the 1.8 'Čapek' update that we started in last week's dev diary. In this one, we'll be talking about some new policies being added to the game. Everything mentioned in this dev diary is part of the free update.

Land Appropriation
The first new policy added is called 'Land Appropriation'. This policy is available to all ethics and governs whether or not newly conquered planets should have land appropriated from non-citizen species. If this policy is on, any newly conquered planet with less than 5 tiles of unblocked free space will have some non-citizen pops removed to clear way for citizen pops. These pops are either simply removed outright (simulating being driven into slums and fringe regions) or become refugees that will attempt to flee to an empire that will have them. Additionally, any planet that has land seized will get a temporary 'Land Appropriated' modifier that massively increases migration attraction and prevents non-citizen species from reproducing and migrating there while in effect. Non-multispecies AI empires will make use of this policy, meaning that even regular wars of conquest will generate refugees, indirectly boosting refugee haven empires.
2017_08_31_1.png

Pre-Sapient Policies
The policies for Pre-Sapients (previously Pre-Sentients, we have changed the Sentient/Sapient terminology in 1.8) have been expanded in 1.8. The following policies are now available for choosing how to deal with pre-sapients:
* Extermination: Pre-Sapients are quickly and efficiently exterminated to make room for your Pops.
* Livestock: Pre-Sapients are hunted and eaten, producing food for your empire, though this will slowly deplete their population. They can also be manually purged at will. Depletion is mostly done for balance reasons, as otherwise there would be no reason *not* to eat them.
* Tolerated: Pre-Sapients are tolerated and will generally not be interfered with, though they can be manually purged or killed off via terraforming.
* Protected: Pre-Sapients are protected from purging and worlds they are living on cannot be terraformed.
2017_08_31_3.png

Initial Border Status
A new policy has been added that controls the initial border status you have towards other empires: open or closed. This only affects the status of borders after establishing communications and has no effect on empires you have not contacted. It also does not prevent manual opening or closing of borders towards select empires.
2017_08_31_4.png

Robotic Workers
The last new policy ties into the changes to artificial intelligence policies discussed in dev diary 78 and is simply a blanket policy for whether robotic workers should be permitted to be built and maintained. If banned, all robot pops in your empire will automatically be disassembled.
2017_08_31_2.png

Manual Purging
Finally for today, also as a result of feedback given after dev diary 78, we have brought back the manual Purge button for organic pops as well, though its use is highly restricted. You can manually purge selective Pops only if they are Slaves, non-protected Pre-Sapients, or robotic Pops without citizen rights. The rules for which Pops can be Purged/Disassembled are fully moddable.
2017_08_31_5.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll continue the feature roundup by talking about changes to Ascension Paths and Megastructures and the addition of Awakened Empire Decadence.

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is a continuation of the feature round-up in the 1.8 'Čapek' update that we started in last week's dev diary. In this one, we'll be talking about some new policies being added to the game. Everything mentioned in this dev diary is part of the free update.

Land Appropriation
The first new policy added is called 'Land Appropriation'. This policy is available to all ethics and governs whether or not newly conquered planets should have land appropriated from non-citizen species. If this policy is on, any newly conquered planet with less than 5 tiles of unblocked free space will have some non-citizen pops removed to clear way for citizen pops. These pops are either simply removed outright (simulating being driven into slums and fringe regions) or become refugees that will attempt to flee to an empire that will have them. Additionally, any planet that has land seized will get a temporary 'Land Appropriated' modifier that massively increases migration attraction and prevents non-citizen species from reproducing and migrating there while in effect. Non-multispecies AI empires will make use of this policy, meaning that even regular wars of conquest will generate refugees, indirectly boosting refugee haven empires.
View attachment 295434

Pre-Sapient Policies
The policies for Pre-Sapients (previously Pre-Sentients, we have changed the Sentient/Sapient terminology in 1.8) have been expanded in 1.8. The following policies are now available for choosing how to deal with pre-sapients:
* Extermination: Pre-Sapients are quickly and efficiently exterminated to make room for your Pops.
* Livestock: Pre-Sapients are hunted and eaten, producing food for your empire, though this will slowly deplete their population. They can also be manually purged at will. Depletion is mostly done for balance reasons, as otherwise there would be no reason *not* to eat them.
* Tolerated: Pre-Sapients are tolerated and will generally not be interfered with, though they can be manually purged or killed off via terraforming.
* Protected: Pre-Sapients are protected from purging and worlds they are living on cannot be terraformed.
View attachment 295436

Initial Border Status
A new policy has been added that controls the initial border status you have towards other empires: open or closed. This only affects the status of borders after establishing communications and has no effect on empires you have not contacted. It also does not prevent manual opening or closing of borders towards select empires.
View attachment 295437

Robotic Workers
The last new policy ties into the changes to artificial intelligence policies discussed in dev diary 78 and is simply a blanket policy for whether robotic workers should be permitted to be built and maintained. If banned, all robot pops in your empire will automatically be disassembled.
View attachment 295435

Manual Purging
Finally for today, also as a result of feedback given after dev diary 78, we have brought back the manual Purge button for organic pops as well, though its use is highly restricted. You can manually purge selective Pops only if they are Slaves, non-protected Pre-Sapients, or robotic Pops without citizen rights. The rules for which Pops can be Purged/Disassembled are fully moddable.
View attachment 295438

That's all for today! Next week we'll continue the feature roundup by talking about changes to Ascension Paths and Megastructures and the addition of Awakened Empire Decadence.
i like it all :) plix relese daet :( let me guess: its not Soon tm (id make the tm sign but got a keyboard without numpad), but not far away anymore. Right? riiiiight? :( september? october? november? december? :(

Any plans to integrate any of these new policies into factions? (I can see both sides of the Xeno scale and pacifists/militarists having opinions on borders, for instance, and militarists wanting Land Appropriation) I assume we'll be hearing next week that the spiritualist AE will now require you to ban robots. :)

Any plans to integrate any of these new policies into factions? (I can see both sides of the Xeno scale and pacifists/militarists having opinions on borders, for instance, and militarists wanting Land Appropriation) I assume we'll be hearing next week that the spiritualist AE will now require you to ban robots. :)
spiritualists dont hate robots anymore. Only sentient robots. They dont have a problem with robots, droids, or "shackled AI" anymore.

Yeah, as much as I respect the developers position on announcing release dates, I think that ball park figures would avoid frustration among the fan base. Even if it was like "not likely before 6 months". I doubt if the time frames were given as extremely rough estimates anyone would complain if they were incorrect. It's not like we could storm their offices....

Nope can't afford the airfare :)

there should be no restrictions on manual purging at all, if I want to purge my own citizens then I should be able to do that from the start

No, for reasons already discussed. You can easily mod the game to allow that though.

If we haven't announced a release date, you'll have enough time to start and finish a new game unless you play very infrequently.

I can't give any more details than that.

spiritualists dont hate robots anymore. Only sentient robots. They dont have a problem with robots, droids, or "shackled AI" anymore.

I don't recall where, but I'm pretty sure they said that the AI-banning the Materialist AEs do will switch to the Spiritualists at one point. While normal spiritualist empires won't completely ban synths due to the new ability to turn off their emotions, they will still probably be forced to ban AI sapience and AI equality, because they don't think machines can have "souls."

Cool :) With new policies for pre-sapients, does that mean that there will be more of them around? At the moment, there are so few of them that it isn't really worth the effort to pay attention to them.

Also, are there any plans to do a bit more with primitive civilisations? Not that I really mind the current options (I think that purgers should have the option of simply exterminating them, though), what I mean is rather to get the AI to do more with them - I often find that the AI hasn't even built observation posts on the planets, which it kinda should even if it only wants to get the society bonus. There's also some conceptual stuff that's a bit iffy on early space civs - surely they would notice your activity in their system (especially if you inhabit another planet, fight space battles in their orbit, etc)?