• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #83: Čapek Feature Roundup (part 1)

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is a round-up of some minor changes and reworks coming in the 1.8 'Čapek' update. Though most of what's in these round-ups will already have been discussed on stream or twitter, we still want to make sure that people whose primary source of Stellaris information is dev diaries are aware of what's changing. Everything mentioned in this dev diary is part of the free update.

Democratic Election Changes
We've taken some time to make a variety of changes and fixes to democratic elections in 1.8. Rather than being a confusing mess of candidates from the entire leader pool, elections in 1.8 will be centered around factions and faction leaders. Instead of a candidate's vote share being based on their mandate, candidates from faction now get election support directly based on the strength of their faction, so a candidate from a powerful faction has a much better chance of securing an electoratal victory than one from a fringe party. Election candidates will be generated from all faction leaders, with independent candidates added into the mix if there are less than 4 factions that are able to provide candidates. We've also made some changes to the way faction support is calculated when there are species that lack Full Citizenship (and thus the ability to vote and be leaders): Though free Pops without Full Citizenship can still join factions, their support count for only 1/5th the amount that a Full Citizenship pop does when calculating the overall political strength (and thus also vote share) of a faction. We had hoped to also spend some time adding more Mandates for 1.8, but unfortunately didn't end up being able to fit it into our scheudle. However, it's something we're going to revisit as soon as we can spare the time for it.
2017_08_24_1.png

Leader Max Level
Another change to leaders in general in 1.8 is the rework of the Leader Skills modifier. Where previously Leader Skills modifiers (such as the Talented trait) would increase the base skills of leaders, this has now been reworked into a Leader Max Level modifier that increases the potential skill level cap of your leader. The default skill level cap is still 5, but this can now be increased all the way up to 10 with the right combination of traits, civics, traditions and policies. This will allow empires that focus on raising leader level cap to have extremely powerful leaders, and since all leaders now start at level 1, will also make the Leader Experience Gain modifier far more valuable, especially in synergy with level cap increases.

Core Sector Governors
We've made some changes to governors in 1.8. First of all, the core sector has been changed so that only a single Governor is needed to govern it, rather than one Governor per planet. Also, the effect of Governor skill level has been changed to provide a direct bonus to all resource production in their sector, meaning that highly skilled Governors are now a valuable asset that will significantly strengthen the economy of their sector.
2017_08_24_2.png

Vassal Creation
Lastly for today, we've reworked the Create Vassal button. Where previously it was hidden away in the Demographics screen and would only let you release entire species whose homeworld you had conquered, the Create Vassal button is now prominently displayed in the planet interface and will allow you to release any (non-capital) planet you own as a vassal, under the governance of any species of your choice that is present on that planet at the time of release. Released vassals will get your empire ethics and authority, but will pick their own civics. In combination with other changes and additions in 1.8 (such as reworking the Domination tree to be all about having subjects rather than annexing them, and the new Feudal Realm civic that lets you control far more vassals without having them rebel), this should make a subject-oriented playstyle far more viable.
2017_08_24_3.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll continue the feature roundup by talking about new and changed policies in 1.8.

This all sounds great. This change to Leader experience gain/cap was unexpected and seems exciting. I guess I would prefer an ability to change a vassal government's Ethos and Authority (and thus "specializing" them, such as a Militarist culture intentionally creating Pacifist vassals to increase dependency on military protection, or a Democratic overlord creating Dictatorships for improved control of the populace, like in certain historical real world examples), but that would just be icing on the cake.

Though I have a question on elections: I seem to recall that the bonus from Supporting a candidate with Influence would persist throughout several elections, making it possible to end up with a candidate "hogging" an almost pre-determined election for as long as they lived. Has this been changed?

Can't wait to hear more about those new Policies too! :3

Supporting a candidate is only for one election, but we did strengthen the effect of it.

Though I have a question on elections: I seem to recall that the bonus from Supporting a candidate with Influence would persist throughout several elections, making it possible to end up with a candidate "hogging" an almost pre-determined election for as long as they lived. Has this been changed?
Already changed in 1.6

@Wiz May I ask if a new UI for army management has been implemented? I mean by this is that equipping army attachments one by one is excruciating. Try building 3 armies on 15 planets, then try to add attachments to each army and then gather them. It is a nigthmare.

Would it be possible to view leaders' ruler traits on both leader screen and leader recruitment screen, so we could make more informed choices? Also, could there be some way to affect faction leadership - maybe you could spend some influence to have faction leader changed to another random leader?

All of this sounds great.

My only concern is that the change in leader ability potential across every area of the game combined with machinist/ascended synthetics immortality makes them massively more powerful than biological or psionic empires.

I know you mentioned in a previous post that this will be addressed, I was wondering whether that's still the case and how it might be achieved.

Revised mandates would be very nice, especially if they're tied in with the faction the leader is a part of, but IMO the whole concept needs a bit of a rethink: no matter how many you come up with, there's always going suffer from the same problem both the current mandates suffer from: they're going to crop up in situations where they just aren't appropriate.

Also, while I'm talking about elections: what do people think about whether or not faction leaders/leadership canidates should be drawn from existing leaders, or whether they should be just governors? I get the appeal of using pre-existing leaders as the empire leader, but it's really annoying when an election comes up and you don't have enough influence, and then you lose a high level scientist to being president.

My only concern is that the change in leader ability potential across every area of the game combined with machinist/ascended synthetics immortality makes them massively more powerful than biological or psionic empires.
Game balance doesn't need to be symmetrical though. Synthetic empires can be nerfed or psionic/biological empires buffed in other areas to compensate.

Honestly, I feel materialists are already somewhat more powerful than spiritualists, so some balancing is needed. Or maybe that's just me.

I there a limit for how big sectors can be?

There is a limit for the core sector but basically you could add 100 systems into one sector and then they would share the buffs from the same governor.

Game balance doesn't need to be symmetrical though. Synthetic empires can be nerfed or psionic/biological empires buffed in other areas to compensate.

Honestly, I feel materialists are already somewhat more powerful than spiritualists, so some balancing is needed. Or maybe that's just me.
Totally agree, however in a game about resource production, the ability to have:

• Three top tier scientists
  • As many top tier governors as required/possible each maxing out a planets potential energy/minerals/science as appropriate
  • Maxed Admirals/Generals in charge of armies and fleets
needs to be addressed.

I there a limit for how big sectors can be?

There is a limit for the core sector but basically you could add 100 systems into one sector and then they would share the buffs from the same governor.

Yah, I really wish each sector would have an inhabited system limit. The fact that you CAN put everything in one sector and it works alright means that, for expediency's sake, I do, and that's a little immersion breaking. The only time I have multiple sectors is when they're not contiguous, but after some conquering I merge them all into one.

Making the sector inhabited system limit = core sector limit might make the +core system things too powerful, now that governors are more powerful. But, if it was just set at 10 or 15, or maybe a base of 10 instead of 3 but still affected by +core systems, that would be great!

All of this sounds great.

I know you mentioned in a previous post that this will be addressed, I was wondering whether that's still the case and how it might be achieved.
In 1.8 machine and synth (including ascended) leaders will be able to die to random accidents and malfunctions so they won't be completely immortal.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record at this point of time, but has the AI starvation bug on insane been fixed for 1.8? It is still in 1.6.2. and 1.7.4 currently...

Yes, it's fixed.