Stellaris Dev Diary #79: Ship Component & Balance Changes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Basically, the ship works out the expected damage (accounting for evasion, armour, and weapon bonuses) for every target it can reach for every gun it has, and shoots all the guns it has at the one target that produced the best outcome for any gun. (Weighted by other factors like the size difference between the ship and target, range to target, and the last target it shot at)
Damn it, kind find the page anymore with all the info, but I recall someone checking the AI stuff after 1.3 and coming to the conclusion that ship MOVEMENT is dependant on the target of the top weapon component 'score' but all weapons would retarget at will, as long as their preferred target is in range. (and sometimes refuse to fire if it's not, rather than retarget)

Edit: Seems they removed it from the Stellaris wiki Ship Modding page for being too unwieldly, but here is the thread about the addon he made based on his findings: [https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-advanced-ship-behaviour-modules.979070/

Last edited:
Damn it, kind find the page anymore with all the info, but I recall someone checking the AI stuff after 1.3 and coming to the conclusion that ship MOVEMENT is dependant on the target of the top weapon component 'score' but all weapons would retarget at will, as long as their preferred target is in range. (and sometimes refuse to fire if it's not, rather than retarget)

Edit: Seems they removed it from the Stellaris wiki Ship Modding page for being too unwieldly, but here is the thread about the addon he made based on his findings: [https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-advanced-ship-behaviour-modules.979070/

Movement is also determined by the top weapon component score, unless the ship has an XL weapon where it is determined by the XL weapon. XL weapons also determine their own target.

It is quite possible to have a ship firing its XL weapon at one target and all the rest of its guns at another.

Movement is also determined by the top weapon component score, unless the ship has an XL weapon where it is determined by the XL weapon. XL weapons also determine their own target.

It is quite possible to have a ship firing its XL weapon at one target and all the rest of its guns at another.
That's because the XL weapon has an insane bonus to it's targetting score, (which is more than just avg dmg per shot btw) so it would follow that component. If you set it to low/negative, it would possibly not fire at all.

That's because the XL weapon has an insane bonus to it's targetting score, (which is more than just avg dmg per shot btw) so it would follow that component. If you set it to low/negative, it would possibly not fire at all.

XL weapons actually have a property called Ignore_Ship_Kill_Target. They can produce a high targeting score (they especially have a large bonus to ships in front), but their targeting score seems to only affect themself whereas other guns all shoot together.

XL weapons actually have a property called Ignore_Ship_Kill_Target. They can produce a high targeting score (they especially have a large bonus to ships in front), but their targeting score seems to only affect themself whereas other guns all shoot together.
Just quoting someone else's work here, but "Regardless of the apparent target in game, all other components continously run their targeting() and fire on whatever target they resolve to, if they happen to be in range" seems to be more logical and frankly, I trust the man's work. Ofcourse, if you stick all plasma on a ship, they'll nearly always end up targeting the same thing, but back when I made more diverse Broadside ships, they did tend to fire on different targets at once as far as I could tell.

It's really easy to test whether guns use their own targeting score. Spawn a ship with one plasma, one disruptor, and two targets, one with shields and one without. Make them fight with attackallfleets.

You'll see the ship with guns will consistently fire both of them at the shielded target, instead of firing the plasma weapon at the unshielded target which it would do more damage to.

Additionally, if there are two ships with shields you'll see both weapons change target when the shields are gone from the first ship.

Although i see the point in using Destroyers as Picket-Support vessels, I feel as if implementing several Behaviors to ship A.I will greatly impact the different strategies, and naval fleets one can create with diverse weaponry and A.I combinations.

If there are different types of A.I Behaviors, this can help increase the variety of making different classes of vessels too with the base body type.
(I.E, One Cruiser model being "Up-In-Your-Face" While another Holding back and providing defense for the Battleships)

But this doesn't mean implementing a whole menagerie of A.I, Perhaps 2 or 3 selections for each individual Ship-Class will suffice for many different choices one can make when creating their vessel.

(I posted this unknowingly people already mentioned this greatly in the comments beforehand, but still, this opinion stands as it is when i had read the Dev Diary)

Last edited: