• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary will be about changes and new additions for Fallen Empires in the 1.8 'Čapek' update and its accompanying (unannounced) Story Pack, about which we cannot currently provide any information except what's in this dev diary (there will be info about other features in the pack coming in later dev diaries). We also cannot currently provide say anything about the release date for the update other than to say that it's not coming out anytime soon. After what happened with 1.6, we want to take our time with this one and make sure we get it to you in a good shape.

Ancient Caretakers (Story Pack)
Those with the Story Pack will be able to encounter a brand new Fallen Empire - the Ancient Caretakers. The Ancient Caretakers is a fallen synthetic civilization that appears to be the remnant of some great conflict in the distant past. From what they tell you, they appear to have been part of something called the 'Custodian Project', an initiative to construct and maintain a number of ringworlds as a refuge for biological sapients fleeing some unknown menace. Their erratic behavior and speech, however, suggests that something may be very wrong indeed with this Fallen Machine Empire.
2017_06_29_2.png

The Ancient Caretakers have a new attitude called 'Enigmatic' and an obscured opinion score to represent their bizarre and unpredictable nature. They may help you with gifts of ships of technology, request your assistance with tasks that may make little apparent sense, or even make demands of your empire that you would be unwise to ignore. They do not awaken like a regular Fallen Empire, but instead have a particular 'triggering event' that, if it happens during the course of the game, will automatically awaken them... though they will not always awaken in the same way. All in all, they behave quite differently from the other Fallen and Awakened Empires, and have their own backstory to explore, as well as unique interactions when dealing with other synthetic civilizations.
2017_06_29_3.png

Fallen Empire Tweaks & Changes (Čapek Update)
In addition to the Ancient Caretakers, there are also some changes coming to the current batch of Fallen Empires. First of all, because the Ancient Caretakers also make use of ringworlds, we decided that you'd end up with just a few too many ringworlds to conquer and restore kicking around. Thus, for those with the Story Pack, we made a new initializer for the Keepers of Knowledge with a more traditional Fallen Empire setup of Gaia Worlds and outlying colonies, including some unique features and buildings to suit their archivarian ways. The old initializer with its three ringworlds still exists, however, and will spawn for those that do not have the Story Pack, so those without do not have their Fallen Empire ringworlds taken away.
2017_06_29_1.png

Other than that, the following changes were done to the existing Fallen Empires:
- Keepers of Knowledge were changed to have their behavior (Hatred of AI) no longer directly conflict with their ethos (Materialist). Both their Fallen and Awakened variants no longer hold a grudge against AI, but instead have doubled down on their obsession with collecting and hoarding knowledge. Satellites of Awakened Keepers of Knowledge are no longer required to ban AI, but will have to contribute a major share of their research to their overlord.
- Holy Guardians were changed to be a bit more interactive, and are now able to offer tasks and give gifts to the younger races, though they will mostly only deign to do so to fellow Spiritualists. They have also taken over some of the Keepers of Knowledge's hatred of AI, and you can expect their Awakened variant to offer no quarter to synthetic civilizations.
- Militant Isolationists and Enigmatic Observers have mostly been left unchanged, asides from some updates to their initializers and ship designs, such as removing the Synths previously used by the Militant Isolationists and giving them to the Keepers of Knowledge instead. They will now also start with more trait points for their species than the other Fallen Empires, to represent their focus on the biological.

Finally, a change was done to the way you establish contact with Fallen Empires. Previously, unless you had done something to anger them (for example colonize a Holy World) FEs would open communications only when you directly entered their space. This has been changed so that Fallen Empires will now instead contact you when your ships enter any system adjacent to their space. This should make it harder to accidentally colonize next to Militant Isolationists and also make it so that your exploring science ship isn't immediately hurled back to your capital just because it happened to take a wrong turn after Omicron Persei.

That's all for today! Next week we'll be discussing some changes coming to Hive Minds and Devouring Swarms, as well as the addition of Dynamic Tradition Swapping in 1.8 'Čapek'.

Last edited:
Yes, why?

Hopefully they actually do this time but after having them promise the moon and fall far short multiple times I'm waiting to see what they actually release before believing things will change.

Because it's literally stated in the diary that they're aware of what they've been doing wrong and are going to ensure this patch/DLC is up to snuff before release. No early deadlines. Rigorous QA. The works.

I mean, it's good that we're not letting this go, but still. It is kinda beating a dead horse.

Yes, why?

Hopefully they actually do this time but after having them promise the moon and fall far short multiple times I'm waiting to see what they actually release before believing things will change.

highly doubt you even read this entire dev diary because if you did you would see that they acknowledge the problem of 1.6 and that they are going to take their time and make sure that 1.8 isn't like the bad release of 1.6 and on

There are fixes for WiH coming in 1.8, in regards to the issues with vassals, AI passivity and so on. That said, the wargoals auto-wiping the loser is WAD for now, a change on that will have to wait until we rework the wargoal system.

Thank you, this is nice to hear. As for the wargoals auto-wiping, maybe throwing in a dialog box explaining that when it happens would be helpful.

Oh and Awakened Empires apparently do not build, buildings on conquered/new colonies.

Because it's literally stated in the diary that they're aware of what they've been doing wrong and are going to ensure this patch/DLC is up to snuff before release. No early deadlines. Rigorous QA. The works.

I mean, it's good that we're not letting this go, but still. It is kinda beating a dead horse.

highly doubt you even read this entire dev diary because if you did you would see that they acknowledge the problem of 1.6 and that they are going to take their time and make sure that 1.8 isn't like the bad release of 1.6 and on

They have said the same things in the past and yet results are lacking. I'm hopeful this will actually change but I'm not taking their word for it any longer. The Leviathans DLC will have been out for almost a year by the time 1.8 is released. That's almost a year of 1/3 of the content of that DLC not working. The dev diary acknowledges the issues with 1.6 but not with the Leviathans DLC or the consistent practice of releasing new DLC with broken content.

The point of my post was that I don't really care about the new patches and DLC since the current patch and already released DLC have numerous problems that are not being addressed. It's great that they're trying to fix some of these problems with 1.8 but I'm skeptical at this point, but hopeful that I'm wrong.

Thank you, this is nice to hear. As for the wargoals auto-wiping, maybe throwing in a dialog box explaining that when it happens would be helpful.

Oh and Awakened Empires apparently do not build, buildings on conquered/new colonies.

Much like having your vassals taken from you when the war starts (still not sure if that's a bug or not) there definitely needs to be a dialogue box at the end of the war explaining what happened and why. Just an x won with y results would suffice.

Last edited:
Glad to hear some WiH fixes. It is such an interesting idea on paper and just fails to live up to it right now and tends to ruin the late game. I am basically praying for a strong Crisis every time a WiH broke out wishing it would shaking up the huge League of Non-aligned Power which encompass the whole galaxy.
But I remain skeptical how much can be done without improving AI's ability of fighting in a war. Making decision of which planet to siege and which planet to defend is not really current AI's strong suit.

I seldom interact with fallen empires until end game crisis, at which point i just steam roll them, or leave them alone, if they are neutral/passive. Otherwise, I restart the game, if one is next to me at start. I fail to see the value of investing any time in fallen empires, them being so irrelevant.

new stuff looks cool. sorry if this has already been answered/unable to answer at the moment, but are there plans to touch on warefare in the coming patch or is going to have its own thing down the road? either way looking forward to this patch

I seldom interact with fallen empires until end game crisis, at which point i just steam roll them, or leave them alone, if they are neutral/passive. Otherwise, I restart the game, if one is next to me at start. I fail to see the value of investing any time in fallen empires, them being so irrelevant.

I see them more of an advantage, then an annoyance. I mean, they are pretty predictable: they leave you alone, if you respect their borders. And if you are getting strong enough to be able to conquer them, they give you a enourmous boost, as they have endgame tech and top planets/ringworlds. Other empires might not be so predictable. You have a "normal" Empire neighbor and out of the sudden, you get attacked by them for the purpose of conquering your planets. There you always need to be in competiton and careful.

But another question: I just read the wiki of the "Fallen empires", because at the beginning the devs talked about "learning about their story" and "they give you gifts". I never ever got a gift from an Fallen Empire. They either tell me to leave a planet or are pissed, because i settle too close to them and then attack, or ask for some part of population or some leader. (Funny story there: i have just bought a scientist from the knowledge merchants for 2.500 energy and then the Fallen Empire was asking for him....)

Who have ever seen some story about an Fallen empire or got gifts from them?

I see them more of an advantage, then an annoyance. I mean, they are pretty predictable: they leave you alone, if you respect their borders. And if you are getting strong enough to be able to conquer them, they give you a enourmous boost, as they have endgame tech and top planets/ringworlds. Other empires might not be so predictable. You have a "normal" Empire neighbor and out of the sudden, you get attacked by them for the purpose of conquering your planets. There you always need to be in competiton and careful.

But another question: I just read the wiki of the "Fallen empires", because at the beginning the devs talked about "learning about their story" and "they give you gifts". I never ever got a gift from an Fallen Empire. They either tell me to leave a planet or are pissed, because i settle too close to them and then attack, or ask for some part of population or some leader. (Funny story there: i have just bought a scientist from the knowledge merchants for 2.500 energy and then the Fallen Empire was asking for him....)

Who have ever seen some story about an Fallen empire or got gifts from them?

The xenophile fallen empire will be quite pleased if you donate a pop to them. I got some ships from them and minerals.