• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #63: Synthetic and Biological Ascension

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris dev diary. This week we'll be talking about Ascension again, specifically the Synthetic and Biological Ascension Paths. In dev diary #60 we talked about the Psionic Ascension Path and the associated Shroud. The Shroud was a fairly major mechanical addition to the game, which we felt was needed as Psionics lacked any such mechanic associated with them, unlike the other two. For this reason, the Biological and Synthetic Ascension Paths do not have the same degree of new mechanics associated with them, but rather focus on enhancing the existing mechanics (Genemodding and Robots) that they are tied to.

The Synthetic Ascension Path focuses on abandoning your frail biological forms for that of a perfect machine. The first step, the Flesh is Weak, requires the Droids technology and allows you to modify your entire population through a special project, turning them into cyborgs. This gives them an immediate +20% boost to habitability, as well as bonuses to mineral production and army damage, and also makes any leaders generated from those species have the Cyborg trait granting an additional +40 years of lifespan.
2017_03_01_5.png

2017_02_27_1.png

The next step, Synthetic Evolution, requires the ability to build Synths, and allows you to upgrade your cyborg population into fully mechanical forms, finally abandoning the frailty of flesh for the surety of synthetics. When it is complete, you will become a fully robotic empire, with a robotic primary species. Your population will benefit from all the advantages normally conferred to Synths in production and research, and all your leaders will be immortal, able to be killed only in battle or through events. You will also naturally no longer require Food for your synthetic population, instead being replaced by an Energy maintenance similar to regular Synths. You will also be able to name your new, gloriously post-biological people.
2017_03_01_1.png

The Biological Ascension Path focuses on mastery of DNA and evolution. The first step, Engineered Evolution, requires the Gene Tailoring technology and grants a major reduction to the cost and time required to genetically modify species, gives you +2 trait points, and also unlocks the ability to research the Gene Seed Purification technology which is otherwise unavailable (it can still be researched as normal for those who do not have the Utopia expansion), allowing recruitment of Gene Warriors.
2017_03_01_2.png

The next step, Evolutionary Mastery requires the Targeted Gene Expressions technology. It grants an additional +3 trait points, a further reduction in time and cost of genemodding, and unlocks the ability to research the Genetic Resequencing technology, which once researched unlocks Advanced Genemodding. With Advanced Genemodding you will be able to add negative traits and remove positive traits, allowing you to completely reshape species at your whim. It also unlocks five new traits that are exclusively available to the Biological Ascension Path:
Robust: Upgrades from Extremely Adaptable, adds +30% habitability and an extra +30 years of lifespan.
Fertile: Upgrades from Rapid Breeders, gives -30% growth time and +5% happiness
Erudite: Upgrades from Intelligent, gives +20% science production and +1 leader skill levels.
Delicious: Makes the species delicious and nutritious, granting +100% food yield from Processing and Livestock.
Nerve Stapled: Removes the ability of the species to feel happiness or sadness. Happiness is disabled and Food/Mineral production increased, but adds major penalties to other resource production.
2017_03_01_3.png

2017_03_01_4.png

Additionally, Advanced Genemodding allows for the ability for non-Hive Mind empires to remove the Hive-Minded trait from Pops and for Hive Minds to add it to Pops, as mentioned in dev diary #62.

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking a variety of smaller features coming in the Banks update, including the ability to terraform Mars.

Question. If I gene mod a species to be super good at mining and another for research etc will the sector AI place them on the appropriate tiles to max their benifit or am I going to be annoyed?

I really can't wait to create a robot species.

But...I really can't resist playing an evil empire, removing emotions from slaves and livestock, and making livestock be delicious.

Wiz, will the Synthetic Ascension change how the rebellion thinks of you?
How can something be delicious if it doesn't tremble in fear when it faces death ? Food without emotion is not food at all!

WE NEED FOOD THAT SCREAMS AND BEGS FOR ITS LIFE BEFORE WE TASTE ITS JUICY BLOODYNESS

I keep throwing my money at the screen, but it's not working! Why won't you take my money Paradox?!

*edit* Never mind, I can't read the Coming Up Next part apparently.

OH SHIT
9d8d8d3e1d5157d81fe0ff1da77276f3.png

IS THAT
8755f7e8a55004879ab0648561d125fd.png

RINGS AROUND PLANETS CONFRIMED!? o_O:eek:
(that's new right? i'm not imagining that? right!?)

Maybe you could add new synth portraits? Maybe one for every species type so one for Humanoids one for Avians one for plantoids ect so when you become synths you can look at least somewhat like how you did before. It never made sense that a plantoid would create humanoid robots. It would be great if they created more plantoid looking robots instead.

Dear Wiz
Please make sure my society don't continue popping up biology things with no use when I complete my synth ascension perk. Also please make sure we have a way to get citizens out fast. Well it takes forever for my synth pop to grow

Kinda wish there was more to it for these ascensions. Considering how much went into psyonics and hive minds in terms of mechanics and flair. But the ability to make your "livestock" or slaves docile (and delicious) through advanced genemodding is pretty cool

Last edited:
Again, I really, really hope not all synthetic species will be the tried and tired same robot graphic.;)

Btw, I guess this was supposed to be reversed:
With Advanced Genemodding you will be able to add negative traits and remove positive traits, allowing you to completely reshape species at your whim.

Can we please get the ability to modify pops directly from the planetary screen. It's such a pain in the ass to do gene modifications right now.

For the future it would be nice if we would be able to divide a race into caste system ( probably only for ethics that allow such institution) : leaders. workers, soldiers, livestock. Being able to only uplift entire planet population means that you have to create each cast on different planets and then resettle everyone. I want ensure that all labs and power plants are populated by the leaders . mines by the workers, farms by the livestock and there is at least 1 soldier pop on planet for army building purposes. Some empires are completely unable to resettle.

I am not sure about the details of exact solution, but flavor wise, biological ascension is what interests me the most but I from what I can see now, unless you have an empire with roughly similar racial make-up demography on most of the planets ( or are willing to do a species wide game of musical chairs) you can't really take full advantage of the ability to precisely tailor pops to your needs.

This is in a stark contrast to Synths and Psionics, who aside from flat upgrade to all pops in any circumstance receive other bonuses ( Shroud, immortality). Biological on the other hand from what we can see now offers only superior land forces and pop modifying.

Edit : English.