• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi folks!

Today, we moved into our brand new offices so things have been a little hectic in Paradox land. The new building is great, but I will always miss the spectacular view of Stockholm from the 24th floor of "Skrapan"...

No rest for the wicked though, so let's talk a bit about the role that characters play in Stellaris. First off, this game is not character based like Crusader Kings, so do not expect a complex web of rivalries and friendships to develop between rulers and leaders with dynamic portraits and genetics. In Stellaris, the real stars of the show are the Pops, with characters acting more like the advisors, generals and admirals in Europa Universalis (though they do have certain personality traits that can affect what options they get in scripted events, for example.) With that out of the way, let's examine the different types of characters:

Scientists can be put in charge of one of the three research departments (Physics, Society or Engineering.) They can also be assigned to captain the Science Ships you use to explore the galaxy. These are all topics for upcoming dev diaries... Suffice it to say that their skill levels and personalities will have clear effects on their tasks. They are also valid ruler candidates in technocratic societies (government types).

Governors can either lord it over a single planet or an entire sector (more on sectors later). They are a very useful way of keeping the populace happy, or increasing the efficiency of a rich and powerful planet even more. Governors are valid ruler candidates under many government types.

Admirals, though they are not mandatory, can give a clear edge to your military fleets, which is pretty straightforward. They are valid ruler candidates in militaristic societies.

Generals lead your armies in defense of your planets against invasion, or when invading the planets of your enemies. Like Admirals, they are valid ruler candidates in militaristic societies.

stellaris_dev_diary_06_01_20151026_leaders.jpg

Rulers give bonuses to entire empires, and, since other leader types can be elected ruler, they typically have a secondary skillset as well. Ruler type characters can also lead Factions; such characters are not recruited by you and cannot be ordered around. Factions and their leaders are, again, something we'll cover in detail later on.

Most leader types are recruited using Influence (a type of diplomatic "currency" in the game) and there is a cap on the total number of leaders you can employ, so you will need to weigh your need for Admirals against that for competent Governors, etc. Although all leaders tend to gain experience and become more accomplished over time, they do not live forever. The day will come when they perish and will need to be replaced…

stellaris_dev_diary_06_01_20151026_empire_details.jpg

Now, as you remember from last week’s diary, there are about a hundred different alien race portraits in the game. Thus, we initially felt that lesser leaders should not have actual portraits, because we could not possibly produce enough of them to provide the requisite variety. But then, the artists started to experiment with different backgrounds and clothes, which thankfully proved sufficient to allow all leaders to show a portrait.

The different types of leaders all use different sets of clothes. This helps increases variety, but also reinforces their role, with admirals having a militaristic uniform, governors being more casually dressed, and scientist being a bit more techy. Clothes are shared between some of the more similar species, because creating five unique apparels for each species is just an enormous amount of work. (Not all species wear clothes though; it would be odd if this was every alien race’s custom.)

I expect that humans will be by far the most popular race to play. Therefore, they are getting some special attention with different ethnicities, genders and hair styles. There is nothing stopping modders from doing the same for other races, of course! For example, the system could easily be used for other things, like an insect race where you have a multi tiered system, with one appearance for the ruler, a completely different morphology for your Pops, and a third for your leader characters...

Until next week, take care all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see a new dev diary! I understand things were hectic while moving.

Reactions:
Great DD. I imagine this will be covered, but I hope you can assign planets to a particular sector, particularly with a skilled governor

Reactions:
Not too sure I'm keen on a limited number of 'characters' that I can pick to captain a singular ship. It creates a bit of a dissonance for me that will make me think "Well what about all the other ships...what about their captains?"

Reactions:
Is it possible to have some of the positions (certainly Ruler and maybe Governor and Scientist) be inherited depending on your Government type/Species ethics? In other words they get automatically replaced upon death of the previous leader.

Reactions:
Those policies and empire modifiers look very interesting, I like. :)

I also like that different character types have more or less opportunities depending on your society.

Reactions:
Interesting DD. A couple of question?

Will certain technologies increase/decrease character lifespans? For example genetic resequencing, longevity vaccine, etc? Also could events lower character lifespan, such as an enemy using bio-weapons against your planet and introducing genetic anomolies?

Can you have characters defect or be 'encouraged' to switch loyalties?

Finally, if you have an alien POP somewhere in your empire can it generate leaders if you are sufficiently tolerant towards other species?

Great stuff so far.

Reactions:
Will there be life extension technologies which allow your leaders to live longer?

Reactions:
Would it be possible to edit the name pool or the selection of character portraits?

If we want to create a Dahomey Empire (in spaaaaaaaaaace) can we choose only female, African portraits? Or if we want the Papacy (in spaaaaaace) can we only have males with religious vestments and Latin names?

How about empires with mixed species demographics? It would be awesome being able to choose which aliens appear as leaders, and that can even be tied into game mechanics for whatever system will cover 'accepted cultures' in Stellaris

Reactions:
Well this opens up more info about the stuff from last week. The humans seem to be xenophiles and fanatic indivdualists, and they're using the "Indirect democracy" government. I think that may be enough to fill out the whole democracy tree then: (Military Democracy); (Theocratic Democracy); (Direct Democracy); Moral Democracy; and Indirect Democracy.

Reactions: