• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #58: Habitats

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover a feature coming in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update: Habitats. As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Orbital Habitats (Paid Feature)
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris: Even if you're playing pacifist xenophiles that have no interest in conquering others, sooner or later your empire is going to have their borders closed in on all fronts, all the habitable planets in your space will be terraformed, and your only option for further expansion is to grow your space through conquest. When we say that we want to enable building tall, however, this doesn't mean we're going to make being a five-system empire just as good as being a fifty-system empire: There should always be an incentive to expand your borders, but for those who do not want or simply cannot do this, we want there to options other than just stagnating.

Orbital Habitats is one of our solutions to this problem: Instead of expanding to new systems and colonizing new planets, you create new, artificial 'planets' for your Pops to live on. Orbital Habitats are massive space stations that function like small (currently size 12, though this may not be the final number) planets that (like Gaia Planets and Ringworlds) have 100% habitability for all species. They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around. Habitats function exactly like a planet: They can be colonized with whatever Pops you want to live there, they can be worked for resources by constructing buildings there, and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs. In order to build a habitat, you need to have researched the maximum level of spaceport technology and picked the 'Voidborn' Ascension Perk (for more info on Ascension Perks, see dev diary 56)
2017_01_26_2.png

Habitats mostly do not have tile resources with the one exception that if the planet they are orbiting has a resource that could otherwise be worked by a mining or research station, that resource will be present on one of the Habitat's tiles. Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

Graphics-wise, Habitats use different models depending on which ship set you have selected, and each ship set (including Plantoids) has its own habitat model. They also have their own planet icon and will get a unique planetary graphic and tile set (that is still a work in progress and thus not shown below), emphasising the ways in which they differ from regular planets.
2017_01_26_1.png

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Reactions:
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris...

...and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs...

Maybe my definition of Tall strategy is different than others, but to me it seems like this is substitute for a planet, with the same malus in terms of Research costs. With no additional benefit to production of any kind, in fact it may be less given the lack of tile bonus and planetary effects.

They sound like a nice addition to the game all in all, but to me it does not address having a Tall empire, meaning, relatively few systems/colonies but very advanced/highly developed ones that can compete with many smaller colonies.

Reactions:
Love how we get a good and interesting dev diary and the biggest hype is what the next one will be about :p.

Also, will there be different "levels" of habitat? So that when you first get them you can maybe only build 8 tile habitats but later on you get better tech and can build 12 tile ones?

Right now there is only a single size of habitats.

Reactions:
Maybe my definition of Tall strategy is different than others, but to me it seems like this is substitute for a planet, with the same malus in terms of Research costs. With no additional benefit to production of any kind, in fact it may be less given the lack of tile bonus and planetary effects.

They sound like a nice addition to the game all in all, but to me it does not address having a Tall empire, meaning, relatively few systems/colonies but very advanced/highly developed ones that can compete with many smaller colonies.

Did you miss the part about having their own buildings and being good at research/power production?

Reactions:
As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Ah but any even vague indication is very worth it to the player thank you.

Will there be any Stellaris stream today or henceforth?

2017 has seen a serious lack of fun Wiz / cKnoor Stellaris streams.

Reactions:
So what's to stop 'wide' empires from building their own habitats and outpacing the 'tall' empires anyway (other than the ascension perk, of course)?

Nothing I guess, although there is an influence cost. Wide players may need more influence depending on how they're playing.

I don't think the point is to make tall play competitive with wide play, it's to give tall players options and things to do :)

Reactions:
So what's to stop 'wide' empires from building their own habitats and outpacing the 'tall' empires anyway (other than the ascension perk, of course)?

Wide empires can do it, of course, but there are other tradeoffs and balancing levers (such as consumer goods) that make it more worthwhile for a smaller empire.

And again, as I said, this is more about ensuring that small empires don't run out of options. Big empires *should* be stronger than small empires, the question is just how much and in which ways.

Reactions:
Nice, looks like a cool decent DLC feature :)

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Its gonna be terrific. Bigly.

Will enemy fleets destroy habitats or just occupy them like planets?

If yes I guess we should get a "war crime" policy sometimes around when we get the death stars and planet busters to control that.

Reactions:
Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

This is very good to hear not to much micro involved with the habitats.
Are there separate techs for these buildings? or they included with the techs of normal planet buildings?

To clarify, so they will have buildings unique to habitats only?

Yes, they have their entire own building set completely separate from the normal planetary buildings.

Reactions:
That's what I was thinking.
Tall empires might be a way to catch up to wide empires, but one thing is sure : wide AND tall empires will be OP...

This is very good to hear not to much micro involved with the habitats.
Are there separate techs for these buildings? or they included with the techs of normal planet buildings?

Right now unlocking habitats also unlocks all habitat buildings. There might be a new tech or two for some of them.

Reactions:

Very big.

so we're gonna be able to build space walls next diary?

Reactions:
Can you attach spaceports to habitats for bonus supply limit? Or do you just get SL from the pops?

Reactions:
Thank you for clarifying. I wish you had talked a bit about them in this dev diary.

Quoted directly from the dev diary: "Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them."

Reactions:
Size 12 feels too much. That is as much as a big moon. Would feel suitable as long as this is the (not mentioned) level3 of habitats - I thought of 8, 10, 12.

And mineral production seems weird for me. At least it sounds not being a mining network...

Reactions: