• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #58: Habitats

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover a feature coming in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update: Habitats. As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Orbital Habitats (Paid Feature)
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris: Even if you're playing pacifist xenophiles that have no interest in conquering others, sooner or later your empire is going to have their borders closed in on all fronts, all the habitable planets in your space will be terraformed, and your only option for further expansion is to grow your space through conquest. When we say that we want to enable building tall, however, this doesn't mean we're going to make being a five-system empire just as good as being a fifty-system empire: There should always be an incentive to expand your borders, but for those who do not want or simply cannot do this, we want there to options other than just stagnating.

Orbital Habitats is one of our solutions to this problem: Instead of expanding to new systems and colonizing new planets, you create new, artificial 'planets' for your Pops to live on. Orbital Habitats are massive space stations that function like small (currently size 12, though this may not be the final number) planets that (like Gaia Planets and Ringworlds) have 100% habitability for all species. They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around. Habitats function exactly like a planet: They can be colonized with whatever Pops you want to live there, they can be worked for resources by constructing buildings there, and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs. In order to build a habitat, you need to have researched the maximum level of spaceport technology and picked the 'Voidborn' Ascension Perk (for more info on Ascension Perks, see dev diary 56)
2017_01_26_2.png

Habitats mostly do not have tile resources with the one exception that if the planet they are orbiting has a resource that could otherwise be worked by a mining or research station, that resource will be present on one of the Habitat's tiles. Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

Graphics-wise, Habitats use different models depending on which ship set you have selected, and each ship set (including Plantoids) has its own habitat model. They also have their own planet icon and will get a unique planetary graphic and tile set (that is still a work in progress and thus not shown below), emphasising the ways in which they differ from regular planets.
2017_01_26_1.png

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Reactions:
Im so god damn hyped for this. Please dont make the wait THAT LONG(take the time you need, Im just begging the gods).
A bit of a wait? Does that mean that people who expected it to come out in febuary are going to dissapointed or does that mean that we will actually have to wait for many months more? Why am I asking these questions? I will probably not get a answer anyway. Im way to excited for this ....

Reactions:
By the way, will this perhaps allow us to conquer the Enclaves for ourselves instead of destroying them, taking their strategic resources and libraries in the proces?

Reactions:
Habitats are not armed and can not be destroyed, since we do not yet have mechanics for planet destruction. When we do, they'll be destructible along with normal planets.

They can be conquered, cleansed, liberated etc like normal planets.

Habitats will count as a normal planet on a war then? Same rules? (you can onlykeep it if its a wargoal, you need to conquer them to have better war score, they have a garrison like planets..)

Locked too far in tech tree to be useful. :/
Would be nice if we could start to build them more early but with most tiles under a blocker. The tech which would allow for the next larger habitat would also allow the removal of the blocker. You still need the voidborn perk though.

Reactions:
Habitats are not armed and can not be destroyed, since we do not yet have mechanics for planet destruction. When we do, they'll be destructible along with normal planets.

They can be conquered, cleansed, liberated etc like normal planets.
Death Stars, klingons and kerbels blowing up their moons. Dreams do come true.

Reactions:
This is awesome. I would still like some Dome technology for living on barren planets though.

Will habitats serve other purposes besides pop placement? e.g. would I be able to build a habitat instead of a frontier outpost/colony in an unclaimed system and expand my borders? Could they serve as spaceports and shipyards?

What happens when we try to conquer a habitat?

Can we finally get a method for transporting food from planet to planet (and thus from planet to habitat)?

Reactions:
How do habitats interact with core/sector cap? I assume they count as 1, in which case, how do you build them in your home system when you're at your core planet cap, without handing the entire system off to a sector? Or will we be able to assign individual planets to sectors, instead of entire systems, in the next patch?

Reactions:
very great, cant wait to see it live

@Wiz, whats about more achievements with all this cool new stuff and still more to come?! it feels not like an DLC/update

more like a big Addon, i like big things, especially very big things, looks like it is that huge, that we have to wait very long

@Wiz would the commands added to do habitats also be able to support a Ring World Construction mod without us needing to spawn an entirely new system?

Reactions:
How do habitats interact with core/sector cap? I assume they count as 1, in which case, how do you build them in your home system when you're at your core planet cap, without handing the entire system off to a sector? Or will we be able to assign individual planets to sectors, instead of entire systems, in the next patch?
Sectors already apply to systems only, not planets.

Reactions:
Will Habitats count for Core Planets count, or are they just considered space stations for that purpose?

Sectors already apply to systems only, not planets.

Pretty sure they count per planet, if I colonize a planet in my core systems it says I go over my core planet count.

Reactions: