• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #44 - Space Creature Rework

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This is the fifth part in a multi-part dev diary about the 'Heinlein' 1.3 update and accompaying (unannounced) content DLC. The topic of today's dev diary is the changes to space creatures coming in Heinlein.

Grounding the Space Creatures (Free Feature)
I've always loved the concept of space creatures - massive beings capable of living in vacuum, travelling between the stars under their own power. With Stellaris, I felt that we went a long way with the addition and fleshing out of space creatures such as amoebas and crystalline entities, but we failed to really ground them in the setting. You encounter them, you research them, you get some information about them... but where do they come from? They're just randomly scattered throughout the galaxy, with no real sense of belonging or having come from anywhere.

This is something we've changed in Heinlein. Instead of just spawning randomly anywhere, space creatures will belong to a particular region of space. They can be found outside it, but its rare, so once you encounter more than one set of mining drones, it's likely that you've entered mining drone space. In the region of a particular space creature, in addition to finding the regular versions of these creatures, you will also find a 'nexus', a system surrounded by powerful variants in which a 'boss creature' lives, and where this particular space creature is meant to have either its origins or their 'home', so to speak. For example, in the center of mining drone space, you will find the Mining Drone Home Base, a powerful adversary that once defeated will yield some significant rewards.
TqkTImo.png

wqZrUmD.png

Space Piracy (Free Feature)
Space pirates is another area where we just didn't go far enough with our implementation. Part of that is because we lack a real trade system for them to prey on, but even so, the one-off event that spawns a few ships (that may or may not look completely different from anything else your species uses) just isn't up to par. As such, we've decided to make pirates their own type of 'space creature', with a region of space they live in, a home base and several more variants of ships. From here, they will occasionally set out to raid interstellar empires across the galaxy until one of those empires has enough and attacks them at the source.

Power and Reward Rebalancing (Free Feature)
As part of these changes, we will also be looking at the power of each space creature, tweaking or creating more variants to ensure that they do not cease being relevant as soon as the player has built a destroyer or two. We will also look at rebalancing the rewards you get for killing and researching them, to make both finding and fighting them a more rewarding experience overall. The overall aim of our changes to the power and placement space creatures is to make encounters with them them rarer but more significant.
4wViR59.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about Enclaves, a feature in the DLC that will accompany the Heinlein update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
nice changes, are these free features?

* I see you added "Free features" next to the subject head, either that or i missed it.

Last edited:
How large will be these areas? Will this slow down player's and AI's colonial expansion in early part of the game?

Reactions:
I'd like to be able to make a choice to be peaceful with at least some of them (maybe have that be an actual strategic choice with advantages and disadvantages, or maybe it's something that's a good choice for peaceful empires and a poor choice for militaristic ones...)

Reactions:
Space Piracy (Free Feature)
Space pirates is another area where we just didn't go far enough with our implementation. Part of that is because we lack a real trade system for them to prey on,
Hint at a future "real trade system"? to be "preyed on"? :p

Reactions:
So Heinlein is a major DLC patch now... So that must mean it is still a ways off, yes?

The accompanying DLC is not an expansion, but rather a DLC focusing on adding scripted content.

It's planned for October.

Reactions:
Sounds good. It makes sense for space creatures to have a region of space where they originated. I hope that Space Pirates will not have a single base in the galaxy though and can occur throughout the galaxy.

Reactions:
Will there be a possibility of uplifting and turning them into special pops later down the line? I really want some Space Amoebae and Tiyanki pops in my empire...

Also, are there plans to introduce more spaceborn aliens in the future?

Reactions:
Some space creatures may have different attitudes towards different empires based on ethos or past relations: attacking, expanding into their territory et would make them more aggressive

Reactions:
So we have War in Heaven DLC plus another one scripted DLC?

As long as it has the same logic as War in Heaven, i.e. new content not affecting base game balance, I'm fine with that. This looks like how this optional DLC system is supposed to work, not CK2/EU4 DLC systems that can't know about each other.

Reactions:
Oh, and different versions of them would be nice: in one game the crystaline entities are just peacefull wanderers, in an other they want to feed on the lifeforce of the colonists.. etc

Reactions:

As long as it has the same logic as War in Heaven, i.e. new content not affecting base game balance, I'm fine with that. This looks like how this optional DLC system is supposed to work, not CK2/EU4 DLC systems that can't know about each other.

No, they're the same DLC. War in Heaven is just one feature in it.

Reactions:
To clarify: Is it intended/planned for there to be a proper trade system at some point down the road? I ask because at the moment there's nothing to organically tie the empires together, or to each other, and it's something an otherwise great game glaringly lacks.

Reactions:

I guess it's just one DLC that comes with Heinlein, with multiple features in it.

To clarify: Is it intended/planned for there to be a proper trade system at some point down the road? I ask because at the moment there's nothing to organically tie the empires together, or to each other, and it's something an otherwise great game glaringly lacks.

Not for Heinlein, but entirely possible in the future, yes (that is not a promise though).

Reactions: