Stellaris Dev Diary #42 - Heinlein patch (part 3)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This is the third part in a multi-part dev diary about the 'Heinlein' 1.3 patch that we are currently working on. This week's dev diary will be about more miscellaneous changes and improvements coming in the patch, currently planned for release sometime in October.

Federation/Alliance Merger
When Federations were given the ability to vote on invites and wars, alliances became a bit of an odd duck in the Stellaris diplomacy. A middle layer between the 'loose' diplomacy of defensive pacts and joint DOWs, they ended up as little more than a weak form of Federation that's usually swapped out the moment the latter becomes available. In Heinlein, we've decided to retire alliances altogether and have Federations be the only form of 'permanent' alliance. When you unlock the technology for Federations, you will immediately be able to invite another empire into a Federation with you, 4 empires no longer being necessary to start one. Once a Federation has been formed, the technology is not required to invite new members or to ask to join it.

Federation Association Status
Another issue we ran into with the changes to diplomacy in Asimov is that Alliances and Federations had trouble bringing in new members - since non-aggression pacts, defensive pacts and guarantees were no longer possible with outside powers, building trust is difficult and you have to mostly rely on large bribes to get new members to join, something that just didn't feel right. To address this, we're adding a new diplomatic option to Heinlein called 'Federation Association Status'. This works similarly to an invite to the Federation in that it can be offered and asked for with any member of the Federation, but must be approved via unanimous vote. A country that has Federation Association Status is not actually a part of the Federation, but has a non-aggression pact with all Federation members and will gain trust with them up to a maximum value of 100. Revoking association status can be done via majority vote, or on the part of the associate at any time they like.
h4Xxg1d.png

Planet Habitability Changes
The planet habitability wheel is a mechanic we were never quite happy with - it makes some degree of sense, but it's hard to keep track of how each planet relates to your homeworld type, and it ends up nonsensical in quite a few cases (Desert being perfectly fine for Tropical inhabitants, or Arid for Tundra, etc). We found that most players tend to intuitively divide planets into desert/arid tundra/arctic and ocean/tropical/continental, and so we decided to change the mechanic to fit player intuition. Instead of a wheel, planets are now divided into three climate groups (Dry, Wet and Cold) and two new planet types (Alpine and Savanna) were added so that each group has 3 planet types. Habitability for the climates now works as follows (numbers may be subject to change):
  • Habitability for your main planet type is 80% (as before)
  • Habitability for planets of your climate is 60%
  • Habitability for planets of other climates is 20%
As such, you no longer have to keep track of anything other than which climate your planet type has to know whether a particular type of world is suitable for your species.
tAcBgqB.png

We also felt that the number of habitable planets in the galaxy was too large overall, but that we couldn't really decrease it so long as the player only had access to 1/7 of those types at start, which would now become 1/9. We also felt the colonization tech gating could be rather arbitrary, particularly if you had a species suited to a particular planet type but still couldn't colonize it due to lacking the tech. As such, we've done away with the tech gating on colonization, and instead instituted a 30% minimum habitability requirement to colonize a planet. You will also be unable to relocate pops to a planet if their habitability there would be under the 30% minimum. With this change we've also majorly slashed the number of habitable worlds in the galaxy, though if you prefer a galaxy lush with life you will be able to make it so through a new option outlined below. We are, of course, looking into and tweaking the effects that having less habitable worlds overall will have on empire borders.

More Galaxy Setup Options
There is an old gamer's adage that says 'more player choice is always better'. We do not actually agree with this, as adding unnecessary/uninteresting choices can just as well bog a game down as it can improve it, but in the case of galaxy setup in a game such as Stellaris, it is pretty much true. With that in mind, the following new galaxy setup options are planned to be included in Heinlein:
  • Maximum number of Fallen Empires (actually setting a fixed number is difficult due to the way they spawn and how it's affected by regular empires)
  • Chance of habitable worlds spawning
  • Whether to allow advanced empires to start near players
  • Whether to use empire clustering
  • Whether endgame crises should be allowed to appear

Sector Improvements
Since barely a day goes by without a new thread on the topic of sectors and enslavement, we would of course be remiss not to deal with this particular bugbear. We intend to spend a considerable amount of time on the sector AI for Heinlein, but I'm not going to go into specifics on bug fixing/AI improvements but rather on a series of new toggles that we intend to introduce to give the player more control over their sector. In addition to the current redevelopment/respect tile resource toggles, the following new toggles are planned for Heinlein:
  • Whether sector is allowed to enslave/emancipate
  • Whether sector is allowed to build spaceports and construction ships
  • Whether sector is allowed to build military stations (this will replace the military sector focus)
We're also discussing having a sector toggle for building and maintaining local defense fleets, but we don't think we'll have time for it in Heinlein.

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about Fallen Empires, how they can awaken, and the War in Heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Interesting. A few questions, though:

1) Will Alpine Worlds ahve different graphics from Arctic worlds when it comes to the city window in the final patch?
2) I always liked embassies and would enjoy them being readded in some restrictive form. Are there any plans on re-adding them and having them as a minor function (with a small influence upkeep that allows you to gain 20-30 trust over a logner time, for example)?
3) How will Tomb World colonization and other stuff fit into the new climate system?

1) Yes.
2) No, embassies are gone.
3) You will be able to colonize tomb worlds from the start so long as you have something that can live there.

Reactions:
Greatly impressed with these very major changes. With new planet types, changes to colonization, federations and sectors, this is a really great Dev Diary.

One question though: will these new planet types: Alpine and Savanna have their own unique graphics and tile-blockers?

Unique graphics, yes. Tile blockers, maybe.

Reactions:
You'll be able to propose wars/invites at any time in a Fed.

Reactions:
We still have the "not-aggression pact" possible with an empire, without entering in a full federation ?
Do you plan to change (in 1.3 of course ) the rules for the Federation presidentship ?

Yes, no.

I'm confused.

Can't the president just force though a war where he can take everything without giving anything to anyone else?

No, you vote.

Reactions:
Do the former colonization techs still exist in some form (like maybe providing +X% habitability) or are they completely gone?

For now they're gone, we're experimenting with habitability techs.

Reactions:
@Wiz
I am starting to fear for the "Federation Policies" feature. Are they still coming in Heinlein, along with the new mid-game events?

Federation policies are not in Heinlein.

For content, see coming DDs.

Reactions:
The habitability changes sound very nice, but could go further. Someone else suggested a 2-axis grid of temperature and moisture, which might be nice? Maybe each species would get the habitability boost to the 3 other planet types "touching" their home-type. Although that would put more competition on continental worlds as discount Gaia worlds, that might not be bad as they would have 4 options.

The improvements to federations sound very nice, but removing alliances sounds like a step too far. The loss of some sovereignty in exchange for better cooperation and other benefits in a federation- currently the rotating presidency, hopefully later including various policies, should distinguish alliances and federations.

We want to make it easier to keep the habitability mechanics in your head, not harder.

Reactions:
I want to flesh out Federations more in the future, yes. For now we're gonna focus on fixing up what mechanics we have currently.

Reactions:
Unanimous votes won't work. There's always that one empire that wants to be special. End result is paralysis. This is already happening with current feds/alliances

Which brings me to second point: diplomacy buff. Purging/conquering seems to be the only way to achieve the victory conditions right now. A diplomacy run is quite frustrating and limited right now. I hope the new federations allow the player to have more control and expand or even influence member ethos/policies.

Diplomacy is tweaked quite a lot in Heinlein.

Reactions:
Not gonna lie, not a fan of abolishing alliances entirely. I want to be able to have a military partnership without having to sacrifice some of my sovereignty to a federation.

There's defensive pacts and joint DOWs for that. Federations also vote on everything, so the only thing you're sacrificing that you're not already sacrificing to alliances is some naval capacity.

Reactions:
That still wouldn't solve the problem of vulnerability until the Federation tech is unlocked. The deterrence to aggressors, joint vision, joint defence and joint DOWs would have to be achieved through defensive pacts, sensor uplinks and savvy diplomacy when declaring war. Sounds like an added challenge in an already difficult early game.

That being said, I completely agree with those who say that the game should NOT be designed to balance MP.

If it's a huge issue we can always remove the tech gate on Federations, or make it easier to 'chain' defensive pacts. I also believe that being at war together automatically gives sensor in Heinlein.

Reactions:
It would not be just from fighting the same person, but being allied in the same war.

Reactions:
Hang on, without me missing something major it seems to me that doing away with an Alliance option is a bit of a sh**er on anyone that previously wanted an arrangement where they and their friendly neighbors could wage offensive wars together without neccisarily being tied up under a joint regime (ala federations). So now I can only have allies that will aid me if i'm attacked rather if I am the attacker, unless my species wants to sign away it's sovereignty? Isen't that a bit of out character for many millitaristic style empires.

You know you can invite other empires to war without being allied to them, right?

Reactions:
Hey Wiz, will you guys be moving to Heinlein's hot code for the Extraterrestrial Thursday streams at some point?

Probably! Not for a while though.

Reactions:
"The War in Heaven" eh? could this possibly involve genocidal robots made of living metal and a race of arrogant, immortal, psychic beings that created a bunch of new races?

It's not a 40k reference.

You may want to ask yourself who you are, though, or what it is you want.

Reactions:
I could add an option to turn off Federation victory?

Reactions:
Pops under the habitability threshold will die off over time. Terraforming a planet in a way that kills the pops will basically be treated as purging.

Reactions:
Welp, looks like i have to "retire" my copy of stellaris. I find federations unplayable. The fact that i HAVE to submit myself to the whims of the AI or play solo, and vulnerable, means the game will become unplayable, through my gaming standards. It's depressing they've gone this route.

You do not, though. You vote on everything, same as alliances.

Reactions: