• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #40 - Heinlein Patch (part 1)

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This is the first in a multi-part dev diary about the 'Heinlein' 1.3 patch that we are currently working on. As I mentioned in last week's dev diary, Heinlein will be a patch focusing on addressing community feedback, tentatively planned for release sometime in October. As such, you can expect a large number of interface and quality of life improvement, too many for me me to list here precisely what we have planned. However, we do also have some larger changes planned, and this dev diary is here to give you an overview of what to expect.

Auto-Explore
Exploration is an important part of the Stellaris early game, but towards the mid and late game, it can get annoying to have to manage your science ships while also trying to run a sprawling interstellar empire. We've said previously that we don't want the automation fully automated away, so the compromise we've settled on is to introduce a technology that will appear after your empire grows to a certain size that allows science ships to be automated (it will also grant some other bonuses so to be useful to the AI). Though we know that there are are people who want automation options from the very start, we believe that there is always a cost involved in automating core parts of the game experience. You will of course be able to mod the game to permit you to have it enabled from the start, if you so wish.

Rally Points
One of our most requested features since release has been a better way to manage newly built ships. After discussing the various options (such as a fleet designer) we decided to settle on adding Rally Points for your fleets. In Heinlein, you will be able to mark any planet or star in the galaxy as well as any warfleet owned by you as a rally point. When a new warship is built in your empire, instead of remaining at the planet that built it, it will look first for a fleet marked as a rally point. If it finds such a fleet, it will travel to that fleet and automatically merge with it. If something happens to destroy that fleet while the ship is traveling to it, it will abort and return back to its point of origin. If you have no fleet rally points, the ship will instead use the nearest planet rally point, traveling there and merging with any fleet present around that planet. In addition to changing how newly built ships behave, rally points also alter the 'return' order given to ships - instead of returning to the nearest spaceport, they will return to the nearest spaceport marked as a rally point. If no spaceport is marked as a rally point, they go to whichever one is closest, as before.

oEYp0kf.png

Expansion Planner
Another highly requested feature that will be coming in Heinlein is an expansion planner - an interface where you can see planets that are available to colonize or build resource/observation stations at. It is currently planned to be a tab in your empire screen, where you can filter by what you are looking for and easily see the best candidate planet for whatever it is you are looking to do. More details on this will come in a future DD.

Strategic Resource Rework
An area of the game that we feel didn't really work out as planned is strategic resources. They are at once too rare and too common, too varied and too bland. Most of all, we feel that they are far too fiddly to interact with, requiring you to keep track in your head of which spaceports have which particular modules. As such, we currently have the following changes in mind for strategic resources:
- Split strategic resources into strategic (living metal, lythurgic gas, etc) and local (betharian stone, alien pets, etc) resources. Local resource will only be found on colonizeable planets and will allow you to build a specific building (such as a Betharian Power Plant) only on the tile where they are present.
- Add more types of local resources to colonizeable planets, making certain planets more desirable for that powerful special building you'll be able to build on it.
- Have strategic resources have clearly defined civilian OR military use, instead of each being a mix of both.
- Make their bonuses purely global, either via the construction of unique buildings or simply by providing a passive bonus.
- Require you to have only a single unit of a strategic resource to get its full benefits, so the excess can be traded away (terraforming resources will likely be an exception here).

That's all for today. Next week we'll continue talking about the Heinlein patch, specifically about the big rework coming in it: Fleet combat overhaul and dedicated ship roles. Note that as I said, there will be a *lot* of bug fixes, UI improvements and QoL changes coming in Heinlein, so I will not be able to answer every question about which exact ones will and will not make it, but if you have something you feel should be addressed for Heinlein (and it isn't a major feature addition/overhaul), feel free to mention it here.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Good! While bugfixes and quality of life improvements are very welcome (and much needed too), the rework of the strategic resources is a good first step for a meaningful strategic gameplay. Let's fight for resources instead of boredom, yah!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you will totally rethink late game and make Tachyon lances not the only choice for late game weaponry.

You can expect to hear more about weapon balance next week.

Reactions:
There may be hope for the galaxy yet!

Also i hope someone did look into early game turtling possibilities to facilitate defense against The Mighty Rush. :)

...and fixed the upgrade exploit and wargoal-planet trading, please, give me those two and i will be the happiest Spacefox in the 'verse.

Reactions:
I'm really liking the proposed changes to strategic resources and the addition of rally points. Great job! I'm looking forward to reading more about the patch. Considering that the patch isn't coming until October, does this mean that it'll be released with an expansion?

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm really liking the proposed changes to strategic resources and the addition of rally points. Great job! I'm looking forward to reading more about the patch. Considering that the patch isn't coming until December, does this mean that it'll be released with an expansion?

October, not December.

Reactions:
- Have strategic resources have clearly defined civilian OR military use, instead of each being a mix of both.

That's a bit simplistic, though, isn't it? By analogy: would you consider things like rubber or oil a civilian OR military strategic resource on our planet?

ALSO: I'm not sure either about the wisdom of only one item of a strategic resource being needed in order to get the benefits from it. Again to use the oil analogy may be helpful: to have one oil field in your country cannot really be a base for similar strategies than being, say, Saudi-Arabia.

Reactions:
I hope you will refine the Rallypoint mechanic somewhat - as it is described in the Diary it seems a bit lackluster. (On the other hand as the plan for Spacestrategy is to have basically one fleet no matter what it might be good enough)

I dont see why auto explore is needed, a list of potential targets to send your ships to would be enough and would prevent the hassle it is right now to find anomalies that you left behind without taking away 90% of the exploring part of the game. I also have the feeling that I will only use this feature if I somehow can set which Anomalies the ships are allowed to investigate (only 100% success, only 90% success etc.)

Expansion Planer sounds neat - a full blown ledger would be even better though. (Like EU4 minus a lot of the info on enemies that is in there)

Strategic Resources rework - we will see how it works out. As currently the System is bugged (Ressources not substracted properly etc.) I can't really judge how broken/blaned the System would be if it worked as designed and the interface actually conveing all necessary Information.

For rally points, wouldn't it be better if you added an on/off button to the fleets in the side bar? That way we could create or remove a rally point with one click and save space.

Reactions:
One major problem I have with the game is that habitable planets are too numerous and too similar. This makes exploration, colonization and development very soon a chore. I would rather see less but more unique planets, which feel exciting to discover and develop in a specific direction e.g. as a mining colony. For a start increase the spawn chance and double the effects of planetary modifiers.

Reactions:
I just want to register strong disagreement to the idea of requiring tech to auto-explore. I really don't see the problem sith making automation available from the beginning. 4X games do that all the time, and its never been a detriment, so long as you can set your explorer's level of caution.

Further, the players will self-sort, with those thst want to involve themselves in manual exploration doing so, and those that do not will automate it. Remember, this is a feature thst will not be chosen, most likely, by those om their first few playthroughs, but by your players that are playing for the umpteenth time. The ones that have already been through all the exploration events.

These are your empirically-proven most loyal players. Be considerate of them.

Reactions:
There is a Mod in Steam, Which is called - "Unofficial Asimov Hotfix" ...
Maybe, It is a helping Hand for the next official Hot-Fix or/and V1.3 ...

And the Mod - "EnhancedAI" could be an Inspiration, too.

You can expect to hear more about weapon balance next week.
Excellent, I'd love to see arc emitters that match their description.

Reactions:
if you have something you feel should be addressed for Heinlein (and it isn't a major feature addition/overhaul), feel free to mention it here.

Hi @Wiz - just wanted to mention a couple of small things that I would hope are on the radar for Heinlein:

• Emergency FTL: (I hope this may be covered in next weeks DD if there's a fleet/combat overhaul planned)
    This currently has some problems. Due to the increased eFTL wait time and increased combat engagement range having science ships pulled into inescapable combat is frustrating. It would be great if the wait time could either scale up with fleet size (realistic but possibly intuitive for players) ... or just have a flat out 50% reduction in time waiting for eFTL to be available for all science vessels.

• Anomaly discovery: it seems that the ability to uncover anomalies (and thus event chains) is damaged by trading star charts with other empires. I can understand why this is ... as once you have star charts an area is then "discovered" and there is no chance for you to uncover anomalies. But it's harmful to have one of your diplomatic trade options negatively affect one of the most fun aspects of the game. Can we have some kind of multi-tier state for exploration in game? So for example a science ship would both "explore" and "investigate" a system, but trading start charts would only "explore" those systems... leaving them open for investigation at a later date. Maybe scanning an already "explored" system purely for anomalies would have a slight speed benefit too.

Reactions:
What about more mid-game content - colony events in particular (that was supposed to be the bread and butter of the mid-game science ship work)? This was the item I was most looking forward to. You said you were adjusting priorities to address feedback: the lack of scripted content for the mid and late game has been a consistent critique from just about all sources (including the dev postmortem on gamasutra). Here's hoping this hasn't been de-prioritized.

Reactions:
What about more mid-game content - colony events in particular (that was supposed to be the bread and butter of the mid-game science ship work)? This was the item I was most looking forward to. You said you were adjusting priorities to address feedback: the lack of scripted content for the mid and late game has been a consistent critique from just about all sources (including the dev postmortem on gamasutra). Here's hoping this hasn't been de-prioritized.

There will be more DDs coming on this topic.

Reactions:
Strategic Resource Rework
An area of the game that we feel didn't really work out as planned is strategic resources. They are at once too rare and too common, too varied and too bland. Most of all, we feel that they are far too fiddly to interact with, requiring you to keep track in your head of which spaceports have which particular modules. As such, we currently have the following changes in mind for strategic resources:
- Split strategic resources into strategic (living metal, lythurgic gas, etc) and local (betharian stone, alien pets, etc) resources. Local resource will only be found on colonizeable planets and will allow you to build a specific building (such as a Betharian Power Plant) only on the tile where they are present.
- Add more types of local resources to colonizeable planets, making certain planets more desirable for that powerful special building you'll be able to build on it.
- Make their bonuses purely global, either via the construction of unique buildings or simply by providing a passive bonus.
- Require you to have only a single unit of a strategic resource to get its full benefits, so the excess can be traded away (terraforming resources will likely be an exception here).

That's all for today. Next week we'll continue talking about the Heinlein patch, specifically about the big rework coming in it: Fleet combat overhaul and dedicated ship roles. Note that as I said, there will be a *lot* of bug fixes, UI improvements and QoL changes coming in Heinlein, so I will not be able to answer every question about which exact ones will and will not make it, but if you have something you feel should be addressed for Heinlein (and it isn't a major feature addition/overhaul), feel free to mention it here.

Interesting these changes. Even if you don't implement all of these changes (especially the division to strategic/local), I really want to see more authored events behind the lore of these galactic resources. I will be thrilled for example to follow a chain of events describing the enigmatic Zro or, dunno, perhaps a story about an escaping "Alien Pet" from a local zoo which begins a chase across the stars. :)

Reactions:
Though we know that there are are people who want automation options from the very start, we believe that there is always a cost involved in automating core parts of the game experience.
Are you aware of the existence of people who would want for it to be an edict or event instead of occupying a valuable technology slot?

Reactions: