Stellaris Dev Diary #40 - Heinlein Patch (part 1)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This is the first in a multi-part dev diary about the 'Heinlein' 1.3 patch that we are currently working on. As I mentioned in last week's dev diary, Heinlein will be a patch focusing on addressing community feedback, tentatively planned for release sometime in October. As such, you can expect a large number of interface and quality of life improvement, too many for me me to list here precisely what we have planned. However, we do also have some larger changes planned, and this dev diary is here to give you an overview of what to expect.

Auto-Explore
Exploration is an important part of the Stellaris early game, but towards the mid and late game, it can get annoying to have to manage your science ships while also trying to run a sprawling interstellar empire. We've said previously that we don't want the automation fully automated away, so the compromise we've settled on is to introduce a technology that will appear after your empire grows to a certain size that allows science ships to be automated (it will also grant some other bonuses so to be useful to the AI). Though we know that there are are people who want automation options from the very start, we believe that there is always a cost involved in automating core parts of the game experience. You will of course be able to mod the game to permit you to have it enabled from the start, if you so wish.

Rally Points
One of our most requested features since release has been a better way to manage newly built ships. After discussing the various options (such as a fleet designer) we decided to settle on adding Rally Points for your fleets. In Heinlein, you will be able to mark any planet or star in the galaxy as well as any warfleet owned by you as a rally point. When a new warship is built in your empire, instead of remaining at the planet that built it, it will look first for a fleet marked as a rally point. If it finds such a fleet, it will travel to that fleet and automatically merge with it. If something happens to destroy that fleet while the ship is traveling to it, it will abort and return back to its point of origin. If you have no fleet rally points, the ship will instead use the nearest planet rally point, traveling there and merging with any fleet present around that planet. In addition to changing how newly built ships behave, rally points also alter the 'return' order given to ships - instead of returning to the nearest spaceport, they will return to the nearest spaceport marked as a rally point. If no spaceport is marked as a rally point, they go to whichever one is closest, as before.

oEYp0kf.png

Expansion Planner
Another highly requested feature that will be coming in Heinlein is an expansion planner - an interface where you can see planets that are available to colonize or build resource/observation stations at. It is currently planned to be a tab in your empire screen, where you can filter by what you are looking for and easily see the best candidate planet for whatever it is you are looking to do. More details on this will come in a future DD.

Strategic Resource Rework
An area of the game that we feel didn't really work out as planned is strategic resources. They are at once too rare and too common, too varied and too bland. Most of all, we feel that they are far too fiddly to interact with, requiring you to keep track in your head of which spaceports have which particular modules. As such, we currently have the following changes in mind for strategic resources:
- Split strategic resources into strategic (living metal, lythurgic gas, etc) and local (betharian stone, alien pets, etc) resources. Local resource will only be found on colonizeable planets and will allow you to build a specific building (such as a Betharian Power Plant) only on the tile where they are present.
- Add more types of local resources to colonizeable planets, making certain planets more desirable for that powerful special building you'll be able to build on it.
- Have strategic resources have clearly defined civilian OR military use, instead of each being a mix of both.
- Make their bonuses purely global, either via the construction of unique buildings or simply by providing a passive bonus.
- Require you to have only a single unit of a strategic resource to get its full benefits, so the excess can be traded away (terraforming resources will likely be an exception here).

That's all for today. Next week we'll continue talking about the Heinlein patch, specifically about the big rework coming in it: Fleet combat overhaul and dedicated ship roles. Note that as I said, there will be a *lot* of bug fixes, UI improvements and QoL changes coming in Heinlein, so I will not be able to answer every question about which exact ones will and will not make it, but if you have something you feel should be addressed for Heinlein (and it isn't a major feature addition/overhaul), feel free to mention it here.

Last edited:
Reactions:
So that'll still be quite a while away. Can we expect minor improvements and bug fixes along the way or do we have to hold out until October?

There will be at least one more hotfix coming (for Xeno Integration among other things), but no major patches until Heinlein.

Reactions:
I hope you will totally rethink late game and make Tachyon lances not the only choice for late game weaponry.

You can expect to hear more about weapon balance next week.

Reactions:
I'm really liking the proposed changes to strategic resources and the addition of rally points. Great job! I'm looking forward to reading more about the patch. Considering that the patch isn't coming until December, does this mean that it'll be released with an expansion?

October, not December.

Reactions:
What about more mid-game content - colony events in particular (that was supposed to be the bread and butter of the mid-game science ship work)? This was the item I was most looking forward to. You said you were adjusting priorities to address feedback: the lack of scripted content for the mid and late game has been a consistent critique from just about all sources (including the dev postmortem on gamasutra). Here's hoping this hasn't been de-prioritized.

There will be more DDs coming on this topic.

Reactions:
Are you aware of the existence of people who would want for it to be an edict or event instead of occupying a valuable technology slot?

Sure, but this is what we believe to be the best way to do it. It will be moddable for those who want it otherwise.

Reactions:
No mention of factions or sectors - does this imply these are effectively deprioritized for 1.3? If so, will they come with a later free patch, or are they delayed to a DLC?

Glad to see the colonizing manager and strategic resource priorities, but very disappointed if factions continue to be neglected. A potentially very rich system for the mid and late game.

This is part 1 of a series of dev diaries, not 'the entire Heinlein patch'.

Reactions:
I wonder what might be the reason.
I wish achievements were not disabled for those who do not want to be forced to research a pointless tech just to free up possible research slot.

The tech will have other effects than just unlocking automation, this was clearly stated in the DD.

Reactions:
I can say this much on factions: I really don't like the current system and plan to majorly overhaul them in the future, but we won't do any major transformative changes with them for Heinlein, as there simply isn't time to do changes on that scale and get them working well. There will be *some* changes though, exactly what will be in another DD.

Reactions:
This is a bigger disappointment. As mentioned earlier, I think this is very likely the most unique and potentially enjoyable system to Stellaris relative to other space 4Xs, and would clearly align with PDX strengths in grand strategy. Its a real shame this is on the indefinite backburner, and I think reflects either different priorities or different development resources than I originally assumed on the Stellaris team.

I won't bang on about how big a mistake I think it is to wait on realizing the potential of this feature, besides merely saying it here once and being done with the game until this is implemented.

Until then, best of luck!

It is by no means on the indefinite backburner. I hope to get it in the next major patch after Heinlein, but I don't want to make any post-Heinlein promises at this stage.

Reactions:
Really disappointed that they're not doing a fleet designer. Having the ability to design different fleets for different roles would be a huge bonus for Stellaris. Having fleet designs for heavy forces, quick raid forces, fast reaction defense fleets and then one click to have them built and assemble at a designated rally point to be

We may do one in the future, but it's a significant undertaking and would mean several other things being cut from Heinlein. We do not have unlimited time or manpower, so we have to prioritize.

Reactions: