• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone!

Today we aim to shed some light on the upcoming changes for the 1.2 “Asimov” update.

Border Rework
Something we did not like with how Stellaris played out towards the mid-game previous to 1.2, was how that the player tended to get locked in and blocked from exploring or gaining access to the rest of the galaxy.

In the upcoming update we aim to correct that issue by reworking how border access works. By default, everyone will have open border access to other empires’ borders. An empire may close its border through a diplomatic action, and access is denied to your rivals by default.

closed border.jpg

We hope that this will make the game feel less constrained towards the mid-game.

Another valuable addition is that when you give your ships or fleet a Return order, but they cannot find a valid path home, you may set them as “Missing in Action”. While ships are missing in action, they will be invisible to you and reappear within your borders within a certain amount of time.

Expansion Cost
To reduce exploits of the open borders, we have chosen to introduce an Influence cost to colonizing planets or building Frontier Outposts. This cost will be based on the range to your closest owned system.

expansion cost.jpg

Embassies & Trust
A significant change in 1.2 is the removal of embassies and the passive opinion increase they provided. In the “Asimov” update, players will have to gain trust by cooperating with the AI. Trust is gained over time by having some sort of treaty with the AI.

Diplomatic Changes
A number of diplomatic statuses that were previously available through trade have now been changed into being Diplomatic Actions available through the diplomacy screen. We felt that some of these actions did not really feel in place, and that they were too hidden, in the trade interface.

diplomacy screen.jpg

We have changed how cooperating with the AI happens. It is no longer as easy to enter into an Alliance with the AI, and you have to start off by gaining their Trust through research agreements, guarantee independence, non-aggression pacts and defensive pacts.

Defensive Pacts are a new diplomatic action that allows two empires to be called into wars if any of them should get attacked.

Joint War Declarations
Another new diplomatic feature is the possibility to invite other empires to your wars. The AI will not join your wars if their Attitude towards you is not at least neutral and they have something they also want from the target.

invite attackers.jpg

All things combined we hope that these changes will make the mid-game feel less static and will open up more possibilities for interesting situations to occur.

Join us again next week for more details about the upcoming 1.2 "Asimov" update!

Border access should be a multi-level system:

• open, go anywhere
  • open, but stay out of our home world system
  • open, but stay out of any system where we have a colony or outpost
  • closed

Reactions:
You still cannot append your own war goals to your alliance/federation war goals.... alliances are therefore still useless. You will continue to get spammed by war declaration that bring you nothing.

You still cannot kick factions out of your Alliance or get yourself kicked out.

You still cannot declare war against unaligned factions without involving your own alliance.

Federation rotating presidency (which basically removes you from the foreign policy aspect for length of time) is still in.

Sector AI is still bugged beyond belief.

... meh! I do not think Asimov will fix things much.

Reactions:
Not everyone watches the stream or has time to scour through twitter and reddit.

Reactions:
YES, please tell me missing in action can be used while retreating from combat?!?!?!? This is exactly what hyperlane vs hyperlane needs! AI's instantly track player fleets down and make battles one shot definitive victories. Missing in action will protect retreating fleets from AI's who cheat with map hacks!

Missing in action being triggered by the player is single handedly the best change yet to this game and something I asked for so I may be a lil biased lol.

Reactions:
[
Because that was the talk all last week, how this week's DD was going to show us so much of the cool stuff Asimov is bringing.

...and they included not one thing that wasn't already announced, which makes me wonder if there is ANY content beyond what was already trickled out.

And the fact that there is no teaser about, "Next week we'll discuss ship combat" or "Next week we'll discuss new midgame content" tells me next week won't tell us anything of value either.

I am sure there is, but they are not sure what will make it into the patch. Understandably, they don't want to pull announced features. It looks to me like paradox is ensuring that the patch will leave the studio before the summer break.

Reactions:
Sadly, that you make further illogical limitations on creating of alliances, now it's nearly impossible to make them on difficulties higher than normal.
Maybe we use defensive pact + joint war declararions to replace alliance first. Only form alliance with empires that match almost perfectly with our ethos?

Reactions:
Not everyone watches the stream or has time to scour through twitter and reddit.

I'm aware of this, and I don't mind them repeating stuff for those that only read the forums. I just would've liked to have some significant stuff that's new in addition to repeating things.

Reactions:
The big update will be Heinlein. But this isn't all there is to Asimov either. There will also be some changes to federations. Maybe, hopefully, with they will be harder to form for the AI too. It might solve the issue that everyone just teams and the galaxy becomes completely static fairly early.

But yeah, given other tidbits already mentioned this DD is disappointing and probably only happened because people pushed for it.

Reactions:
This had some stuff that was in the stream last thursday, but things like the manual control of missing in action was very much newly announced in this thread so people need to calm their butts and stop bitching. Though I do have to say, anyone who doesn't watch martin and Cknoor stream on thursdays, or catch it on youtube after, needs to seriously rethink their priorities cause its a strong source of both information and entertainment. Almost as good as Wurst Wedding streams.

Reactions:
Is the "War demands" interface reworked in Asimov ?
It would be nice to use a simialr interface to the "Sector Management" to be able to select directly the planets, instead of the current scrolling of death.

Reactions:
I welcome all of these changes and look forward to more info next week (or on thursday but that depends on how well dear old england do against wales)

No details of how any of this works, and everything in this DD we already knew.

No mention of combat rebalancing - is this even a thing?

No mention of changes to how influence is gained since it seems to be used for many, many more things.

This was supposed to be the "Big Reveal" DD about Asimov, and it revealed nothing.

0/10. Two thumbs down.

There will be another DD about Asimov next week. This one ended up a bit rushed because we have to prioritize actually getting the patch done.

Reactions:
Definitely enjoyed the DD--and I'm intrigued to see what else they have to say about Asimov next week.

I'm most excited about being able to cross another empire's borders--granted it has been a bit fun fighting wars to ensure I'm not closed in BUT STILL.

Reactions:
You still cannot append your own war goals to your alliance/federation war goals.... alliances are therefore still useless. You will continue to get spammed by war declaration that bring you nothing.

You still cannot kick factions out of your Alliance or get yourself kicked out.

You still cannot declare war against unaligned factions without involving your own alliance.

Federation rotating presidency (which basically removes you from the foreign policy aspect for length of time) is still in.

Sector AI is still bugged beyond belief.

... meh! I do not think Asimov will fix things much.

1) AI has been changed to be more fair when setting up wargoals, and less prone to accept unfair wars.

2) You can vote to kick members of alliances in Asimov.

3) No, and this is WAD, but you have diplomatic options without being in an alliance now.

4) Federations vote on wars and joining now.

Reactions:
Sadly, that you make further illogical limitations on creating of alliances, now it's nearly impossible to make them on difficulties higher than normal.

Difficulty penalty to alliances is gone, instead it'll be heavily dependant on your war philsophy policy setting (which determines if you're the conquering type or not).

Reactions: