• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #35 - QA in Space

Hello everyone!

Today’s DD will bring a little light on QA work, and give a glimpse of odd and interesting bugs the team struggled with throughout the development of Stellaris. My name is Chandika, and I work as Embedded QA on Stellaris, alongside with Leo Larsson and Obidobi (partially). We are part of the Development Team, but we also have Central QA working with us. They are not assigned for any project for good, as they are working with all our titles.

For a deeper and detailed explanation on how Quality Assurance department works in Paradox Development Studios please check this Dev Diary written by Distantaziq, Embedded QA on Hearts of Iron IV.

Although QA job is not just reporting bugs and issues we find, this is what we are known for, bringing programmers to tears and despair. Also, it is the most visible part of our work, as you can see below.

The beginning

Very first bug ever that has been reported on Stellaris was, you could say, pretty important. Courtesy of MrNibbles, who found out that there was no Exit or Quit Game button present in game at all. Perhaps it was by design? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

NoExitGameOption_01 (1).jpg

Jormungandur: "We didn't see a need for the player to be able to stop playing"

Migrating hair, clothes and other things

Throughout the life of Stellaris, many aliens seemed to have their own will to change looks. Some would say it’s the hottest spring/summer 2016 of the stellar fashion, and as a matter of fact, it wouldn’t be that far from true.
2016_02_17_5.jpg
pasted image 3.png

This Reptilian was called Fabalien in our QA team. We even made our own Emoji in the chat we’re using at work. It’s fabulous!
pasted image 3.png

Scientists sometimes would change their clothes, depending on which alien empire they would encounter.
5.png
6.png

Socially awkward Molluscoid would creep through the window while having a conversation with you. Don’t make eye contact!
7.jpg

Naming your empire

Let’s say you wanted to name your empire with one letter. It would be a pity if it wasn’t visible on the map, right?
8paint.jpg

I mean, one letter can be easily missed in the vast Galaxy full of wonders.
9pai.jpg

You gotta make sure other empires treat you seriously, Q.
10pai.jpg

Space whales preparing for war

Purely a graphical bug where Space Critters, Whales and Amoebas decided to look a bit more intimidating than usual.
11.jpg

Instant rebellions

Look at this kaleidoscopic galaxy! It was a result of instant rebellions that AI could not handle.
13pai.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

Tough love of planets and their satellites.
14pai.jpg

Some Space Amoeba corpses would display in Galaxy View. And they are huge.
15pai.jpg

The epilogue

Of course, being a QA is not playing games all day and occasionally reporting something that made your playthrough unpleasant. We are most famous for the ridiculous screenshots we capture, but it’s actually just a small part of our job. Our responsibilities include (but are not limited to): analysing risks of the project, keeping track of our internal database of issues, which also means regression (verifying if the issues previously reported were fixed), and giving continuous feedback on the project (what works well, and what should be changed). We are doing a number of different tests that would narrow the issues down, check if all the features are in and working etc. We have scheduled multiplayer tests twice a week, as well as exploratory testing that would help us focus on long game.

All things considered, there is never enough testing for the project, especially games like Stellaris, where anything is possible. That’s why I would like to thank our dear betas for helping us out a lot and doing all sorts of testing for Stellaris. Without you it wouldn’t be the same! :)

Attachments

• reptilian.png
    reptilian.png
    833,9 KB · Views: 2.247
  • 9pai.jpg
    9pai.jpg
    229,3 KB · Views: 2.237
Last edited:
Reactions:
I agree with you, if this was any other game developer i probably wouldn't have bothered coming to the forums, but it isnt, this is a Paradox game, and me and plenty of others feel that the state of the game on release was sub par to Paradox standards. [...]

I know the forum join date doesn't say anything, but if you started playing Paradox games around august 2012, the only PDS releases you've experienced besides Stellaris were Europa Universalis IV and March of the Eagles. Now I admit that those two had pretty good releases, although the latter one was quickly abandoned by Paradox after the sales turned out to be a disappointment (which is a bit of a shame, since IMO it's nice game).

If you look you look at PDS' launch quality pre-summer 2012, things are a little less rosy. Crusader Kings II had a pretty solid release, although like Stellaris, it felt pretty bare-bones at launch date. Like CK2, Sengoku's quality was good enough but like MotE, future development was halted due to dwindling sales. Now all these games have been released under Paradox's "new" philosophy of only releasing games that are relatively polished. If we take a look at the pre-Clausewitz 2.5 era, Victoria II had a lot of balancing issues at release and most only got fixed after a year. Although I haven't played it at launch, Hearts of Iron III was pretty much unplayable until several patches according a lot of players and IIRC, Europa Universalis III had some issues as well.

The whole point of this post was to show that being a "Paradox" game at launch, isn't much of a compliment, nor a seal of (release) quality. However, what the PDS tag on the game does say, is that it will be supported and improved pretty much indefinitely with new patches, free content and paid expansions, until giving said support isn't economically viable anymore.

Me and plenty of others feel that the state of the game on release was sub par to Paradox standards.
I believe that's because it's a new genre for them. And don't forget that now they have to deal with Paradox games customers that probably have much higher attention to details then average gamer:) I must say that I'll probably never know about most of the bugs if I wouldn't come here. In my 60 hours game all is working fine as far as I can tell. No noticeable lag, performance is fine. Too bad the tech tree ended when I have still 60% galaxy to conquer:> But again - I'm just an average gamer that is not crunching numbers and looking under the hood to check how things work:)
But as such gamer I have the complain - the fonts are too small for big screen "couch" gaming... but it's even worse in EU4 and more in CK4:) I guess majority is fine with it.
As for this certain DD (I always see a destroyer ship when see the abbreviation, perhaps too much Silent Hunter plays). I disagree with you. How sensitive you have to be to take it so personal? People want to share parts of their work, what's bad about it? It's just a game and life of the product in PDX differs a lot from typical game company. I only hope they will not scrap the franchise based on voices of discontent.

Uggh.... I'm sorry man but people like you are why I so rarely come on these forums.

You seem like a pretty cool guy, given that apology beforehand (folks can say what they will about sorry/with all due respect before a temperamental statement all they want, but I still find it a nice gesture despite it!) . That said, I sympathize with your view only in regards to snide, inappropriate comments (of which there have been several in this thread), but this was not one of them. This was a remarkably mature, reasonable argument integrally related to the thread (I define finding this distasteful due to a related subject to be a very valid topic here, as long as a protracted debate doesn't get going (time and place)). Let's not criticize this man and confuse him with the snide kind of toxin others put out. It's the other posts we should be critical of, which actually contain the toxin that is truly damaging to a community, not the mature and reasoned complaint this man had. It's users like him, who will point this out to developers and keep a civil and reasonable tone, who have a high chance of getting through to devs and help to keep devs in check on this kind of thing.

While I agree that the release was by no means as high quality as we used to see in the gaming industry, I'm not that put off by it as long as those bugs are addressed post-release. Yes, yes, I know, my lower standards enable hastier releases of games, and I'm sorry for that. But I'll agree, as he also agreed I'll add, that compared to most devs this release was pretty alright for bugs. That said, if Paradox does have such a high standard normally, then it is reasonable to point out that this game does not meet it. Whether I can agree with him on this specific part of his point I am not qualified to say, as I've only played Cities Skylines and this one for any real degree of time. But I'll defend his mature tone and respect his opinion.

That said, I will say to Exogame - it is likely this post was made to try to make light of QA and buggy stuff to lift the community's spirits in the face of some of these bugs. I took it as laughing with us, rather than at us, and to try to tell folks that QA did indeed do their best to catch these (even if the team wasn't given enough time to fully fix all of these). For myself, it had just that uplifting effect. Did I sigh a bit? Yes I did. Did I also laugh and relax a bit more about it? Since the state of the game is not as bad by my own standards as someone who hasn't played that many Paradox games, I did. I can totally see, however, how it would just make some folks grumble. Depends on your personality and probably level of passion/history for Paradox games. Whether it was a mistake to soothe folks like myself while irritating folks like you is up for debate (and I myself will not offer my 2 cents on it, as I don't want to get into a protracted debate in a thread that is otherwise meant to be light hearted), but I suspect this was their logic anyhow.

Last edited:
Reactions:
If you look you look at PDS' launch quality pre-summer 2012, things are a little less rosy. Crusader Kings II had a pretty solid release, although like Stellaris, it felt pretty bare-bones at launch date.
CK2 only felt bare-bones if you hadn't played CK1 :)

Reactions:
Oh, and while I'm here, I might as well give this minor input to the devs:

I agree the old borders looked better, and will add my voice to those asking that they be re-implemented. The current border system already looks at times like you should control a star system when you actually do not (due to the 3d nature of the stars and natural tilt of the galaxy map I would assume, but even then the game seems to make odd or delayed judgment calls at times). It's just as easy to scroll over a star to confirm ownership than it is to tilt your map so it's birds' eye straight down. Personally I'd rather do that than squint or zoom in significantly to determine the exact borders between same-color empires. That said, this is a very minor gripe/suggestion. :) If the community is divided on which they like more (as someone mentioned an older dev diary had a lot of requests to change it away from what we see here) how easy or hard would it be to enable a toggle in the game options menu? If the code is already there in your dev history, maybe not that bad? I'd recommend if it's an easy tweak.

Also the awkward Mulluscoid is hilarious. Made my day. I too almost wish this one got through Q&A somehow. :D Thanks for sharing.

Will we ever be seeing the ability to access and play on the developmental versions of Stellaris? I would love to be able to play and see all this for myself! XD

The whole point of this post was to show that being a "Paradox" game at launch, isn't much of a compliment, nor a seal of (release) quality. However, what the PDS tag on the game does say, is that it will be supported and improved pretty much indefinitely with new patches, free content and paid expansions, until giving said support isn't economically viable anymore.
And sometimes after, as well. Look at the V2 patch we got a few months back.

Reactions:
I think most of the bugs would've not made it to launch if the Paradox team would've played a multiplayer match between themselves before releasing it. You know, to get the feel of the game. What, they don't like their game so much that they didn't even play it? Because it's between this and some scenario in which everyone was so blind that they didn't see the huge logic and AI flaws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Keep it coming.