• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #23 - Multiplayer

Good news everyone!

Today’s Dev Diary will be about Multiplayer and what makes it so great in Stellaris.

Let's start with the basics. Players are able to host games with 32 player designed empires and optionally, several extra randomized AI empires. If you have a new person who would like to join an ongoing campaign they can hotjoin into an already existing empire. This also allows the players to leave or take a break from the ongoing multiplayer campaign and leave their empire in the capable hands of the AI. The host may also choose to host a multiplayer game from a save game allowing players to play grand campaigns lasting several weeks.

stellaris_dev_diary_23_01_20160229_other_player.jpg

One of our longstanding issues with multiplayer is that clients desynchronize, which is usually solved by having the host rehost the game, but this can be quite a menace when playing multiplayer with 20+ people, so we’ve decided that this is an issue we should prioritize higher in Stellaris. Thanks to persistent testing and fixing of out-of-syncs as soon as they happen, we’ve managed to make Stellaris our most stable multiplayer experience yet, allowing us to run stable multiplayer with up to and probably more than 32 players. We test our multiplayer stability weekly by playing multiplayer with our betas and the developers on the project, and it’s loads of fun.

stellaris_dev_diary_23_02_20160229_player_empire.jpg

We’ve designed Stellaris with a couple of things which affects the multiplayer experience which you might want to know.

One of them is that empires have a relationship value of other empires, but the value doesn’t decide the options a player can take against another empire but decides the responses AI controlled countries gives to your requests, demands and offers.

Another thing which Stellaris has that our other grand strategy games don’t is a symmetrical and randomized start, this means that in a multiplayer game everyone starts on more or less equal terms. This makes the game, in our experience, more competitive and a lot of fun. Will you be able to claim ownership of that specifically resource rich system before your neighbor? Or should you enter an alliance to stop a specific neighbor from expanding in your direction?

One more thing which affects the multiplayer experience on an early stage is that players are anonymous until you have established communications with their empires, making you unable to know whether the first aliens you meet will be your greatest allies or your worst enemies.

Next week is all about the AI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
One more thing which affects the multiplayer experience on an early stage is that players are anonymous until you have established communications with their empires, making you unable to know whether the first aliens you meet will be your greatest allies or your worst enemies.
By anonymous does that mean you won't be able to even see their score, or can you see the player's score but not who they are?

Edit: Ok, sorry, the images weren't loading when I first read this, but now that they are loading for me it looks as is none of the players have a "player score" that is visable to other empires as an indicator of overall strength. Is this the case that Stellaris won't be using such a staple of the 4x genre?
Don't know why I was expecting a "player score" when it's absent from ck and eu anyway lol

Last edited:
Polish Translation in spoiler.

Good news everyone!*

W dzisiejszym pamiętniku dewelopera zajmiemy się trybem wieloosobowym, I tym co sprawia że jest świetny w Stellaris.

Zacznijmy od podstaw. Gracze mogą zakładać gry z 32 imperiami stworzonymi przez nich samych i dodatkowo, kilka losowych imperiów sterowanych przez Sztuczną Inteligencję. Nowy gracz, który chciałby wskoczyć w trwającą już kampanię, może skorzystać z opcji hotjoin i zasiąść za sterami już istniejącego imperium. Pozwala to też graczom na opuszczanie lub robienie przerw od toczących się kampanii wieloosobowych i zostawić to w rękach sprawnej SI. Osoba zakładająca rozgrywkę, może też zakładać grę z zapisanego stanu gry, pozwalającego na rozegranie Wielkich Kampanii trwających tygodnie.

stellaris_dev_diary_23_01_20160229_other_player.jpg

Jednym z problemów, które trapiły nasze rozgrywki wieloosobowe były desynchronizacje między klientami. Problem, który można było rozwiązać poprzez ‘rehostowanie’, rozwiązanie to było uciążliwe, a szczególnie w grach z 20+ osobami. Postanowiliśmy dać rozwiązaniu tej kwestii wyższy priorytet w Stellaris. Dzięki ciągłym testom, i łataniu out-of-sync (desynchronizacji) tak szybko jak tylko się pojawiały, udało się uczynić nam rozgrywkę wieloosobową w tej grze, jako najbardziej stabilną z wszystkich naszych dotychczasowych. Pozwala na prowadzenie stabilnych rozgrywek wieloosobowych do 32 graczy (jak nie więcej). Testujemy stabilność co tydzień, poprzez prowadzenie galaktycznych bojów, między deweloperami i beta-testerami. Czy musimy dodawać że zapewnia kupę frajdy?

stellaris_dev_diary_23_02_20160229_player_empire.jpg

Zaprojektowaliśmy Stellaris z paroma rzeczami, które wpływają na rozgrywkę wieloosobową.

Jedną z tych rzeczy jest to że imperia mają współczynnik relacji z innymi imperiami. Wartość ta jednak nie wpływa na opcje dyplomatyczne gracz jakie może wykonać, jedynie wpływa na odpowiedzi i reakcje w państwach controlowanych przez SI na Twoje żądania, propozycje czy prośby.

Inną rzeczą która wyróżnia Stellaris spośród naszych dotychczasowych gier strategicznych, jest symetryczny I losowy start, co sprawia że gracze powinni zaczynać na podobnych warunkach. To w naszym odczuciu, i z doświadczenia, sprawia że rozgrywka jest ciekawsza, zabawniejsza, oraz w większym stopniu konkurencyjna. Czy uda Ci się sprawić że Twoje roszczenia do bogatego w surowce systemu planetarnego staną się rzeczywistością, czy Twój sąsiad je zniweczy? Czy wstąpisz do sojuszu, żeby powstrzymać konkretnego sąsiada przed ekspansją w Twoim kierunku?

Jedną z rzeczy, które wpływają na doznania płynące z rozgrywki dla wielu graczy, w jej wczesnym etapie, jest to, że gracze są anonimowi dla siebie, dopóki nie nawiąże się komunikacji pomiędzy imperiami. Zapewnia to dozę niepewności czy pierwsze obce istoty, które gracz napotka, będą jego wiernym sojusznikiem czy najgorszym wrogiem.

Za tydzień zajmiemy się SI – Sztuczną Inteligencją

* Futurama anyone? :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
"Primitive Feudalism"? Uncivs? Unknown because unencountered?

"Stagnant Ascendancy" - you can play as one of the forerunners?!

You can see distance to other factions. Interesting.

Also... Must play Avian for first playthough. So awesome.

Edit: 1st Star flock... hmn, I think I preferred referring to Avian fleets as "Murder". Please tell me there's a crow-like Avian species.

Reactions:
I noticed some "unidentified empires" on the screenshot - does this mean you can see other players relationships/culture before you actually meet them?

Reactions:
Next week is all about the AI.
Wait, wasnt it confirmed Wiz started working on the AI only recently? theirs already going to be a dev diary about it?

Let's start with the basics. Players are able to host games with 32 player designed empires and optionally, several extra randomized AI empires. If you have a new person who would like to join an ongoing campaign they can hotjoin into an already existing empire. This also allows the players to leave or take a break from the ongoing multiplayer campaign and leave their empire in the capable hands of the AI. The host may also choose to host a multiplayer game from a save game allowing players to play grand campaigns lasting several weeks.

As someone that's played an absurd amount of EU4 multiplayer:

0HGbjKH.gif

Reactions:
I think I preferred referring to Avian fleets as "Murder". Please tell me there's a crow-like Avian species.

I'm hoping I can have an owl-like species with a constitutional monarchy. A parliament within a parliament.

Reactions:
Soooooo besides desynch. What else can you actually tell us about the multiplayer experience? Can you play the same empire? Can you expand on the anonymous feature for first contact?

Reactions:
Last edited:
Reactions:
I really like the change to the UI on the top bar with the faction symbol and how the top bar does't run behind it and the little idents on the side of the screen. Its little details like that that really improve the feel of a game.

Now I just need some friends who would want to play Stallaris MP!

Or should you enter an alliance to stop a specific neighbor from expanding in your direction?

Can I tell the aliens to not expand into a specific unclaimed system? Practically making it a neutral zone if they also declare it off-limits? Or was this referring to me & my ally taking a more klingon-style approach after the fact?

Reactions:
Wait, wasnt it confirmed Wiz started working on the AI only recently? theirs already going to be a dev diary about it?

I'm not the only person who has been working on Stellaris AI.

Reactions:
Sounds nice, I may even try multiplayer one day.

And yes thta was a friendly reminder that most people play single player and prefer the game to be balanced for that primarily.

Reactions: