• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #202: Nemesis Ship Set & Art Direction

Hello, my name is Simon Gunnarsson, I'm the Art Lead and acting Art Director for Stellaris. I wanted to go through our process of developing a style for a new ship series that will be added to the game when Nemesis is released. I'll go through the steps from the initial meeting with our game director, Daniel Moregård, through the visual development (vis-dev), concept art production and finally end at 3D production, that includes animation and VFX.

Initial Art Direction

For this time around, we had a player fantasy to cater to, so our mission statement became our guiding star throughout the process. We sat down with the game director that resulted in the imperial thematic direction. Which was enough for us to start doing some word associations to kick off the creative process.

1614092171020.png

The closer the top a word is, the more influence it should have in our direction. We held ourselves to these words even when we changed our visual direction in the middle of the vis-dev.

These first associations were part of the first brief we put together to the concept team. The theme invites for interpretations so it's important that we also define the initial art direction with supporting images, splitting the line between "what it is" and "what it isn't" is equally necessary.

With these things in mind, we curate an initial aesthetic that we think is worth exploring, so the concept team has some anchor to the vision. For the imperial aesthetic we wanted them to explore a bright and ornamental direction at first. We always enable our team to add their own touch to these curated directions, but also encourage them to also explore other paths.

Vis-dev
We had several people working with the vis-dev, all bringing their own unique take on the brief we gave them. This process is quite hard, closing doors on designs and actually drive the art direction forward is a difficult task, with all the viable options at hand, we have to be quite picky, and measure against the words that we came up with.

Asking questions like, is this conveying an imperial and dominant feeling, what works well with this specific design and what doesn't. These questions are crucial in driving the vis-dev forward.

1614092412573.png

Concept-art made by Alessandro Bragalini

1614092457152.png

Concept-art made by Ecbel Oueslati

1614092493639.png

Concept-art made by Mattias Larsson

1614092530863.png

Concept-art made by Simon Gunnarsson (me!)

1614092609571.png

Concept-art made by Ylva Ljungqvist

There were concerns towards the mid-point of the vis-dev. The way the light works in Stellaris could make it so that white looks quite muddy. There's a chance that white takes too much color from the light and makes it look quite weird in some occasions.

So we iterated the curated art direction into a dark aesthetic. We made it more forgiving no matter what empire color the players chose, the ships will most likely look appealing in every instance.

The new aesthetic still had to hold true towards the associated words from the beginning. So we focused on more brutalist style, dark with silver details.

1614092696383.png

Final concept-art made by Simon Gunnarsson

Style Guide
The end of the vis-dev should result in a style guide, a document that should communicate the vision and the aesthetic, with extracted details and breakdowns. It is used by the whole team, from animators to VFX so it needs to be quite descriptive.

For example, below is a breakdown of materials that 3D artists will use as a guide to creating them.

1614092771319.png

Production

The actual concept art production is the bulk of our workload. It's where we create actual blueprints for 3D artists to follow. But it's really just a linear but iterative process to get to a final result. We start with sketching some ideas, and we slowly commit more and more to certain aspects until we have a design we like, then we refine it, add materials and ultimately a final asset sheet is created.

1614092955127.png

Initial sketches

1614092983858.png

Concept artist use 3D to easier present the ship and get a better feel for the design

1614093014152.png

Laying down material patterns, starting with a broad design then adding secondary and tertiary level of material details

1614093048745.png

1614093093601.png

Finalized asset sheet, complete with materials and material ID for the 3D artists to follow

1614093132872.png

1614093142491.png

In-game final asset

The end, but not quite!

This is our process with every new ship aesthetic, but the ships have a few more stops on the road before they're truly final, both animation, VFX and audio will get their hands on these before the full process is complete!

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, here's a Nemesis (imperial style) titan! You will hear from our VFX artist, Erik Forsström, in a Dev Diary in a near future!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 147Like
  • 65Love
Reactions:
Final version is a conservative choice, and looks more like a Borg aesthetic than an “Imperial”, “Grand” and “Imposing” one. The evil is barely concealed :D I believe you have a nice machine shipset there, but not for a galactic empire that fits your design goals of a grand old imperium.

If anything, perhaps design a “galactic” shipset that is inspired by elements from all the race types.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If anything, perhaps design a “galactic” shipset that is inspired by elements from all the race types.

mhh ... i know what you mean, but i think it would just be a mess :D

i think the "best" way would be to make 1"upgraded" shipset for evry racial shipset , so the empire that become custodian or emperor have theyrs .

but it is impossible and require alot of work and i'm probably thinking too much about SW ( where the empire is guided by humans) with the idea of a race being the main member of the GC.

Reactions:
Just a small reminder that this shipset will also be used by the GDF, which might possibly be part of the reason why the really extravagant designs weren't chosen. I know that if I had elected an empire to be our final defense against the crisis, supported them as our leader against the apocalyptic threat on our doorstep, and told them to build the greatest armada the galaxy has ever seen... I'd certainly hope that they wouldn't be using my funding on gold trim and abstract art.

Personally, I think my ideal world would have the GDF start out with the current shipset, since the neutral and brutalist design fits the GDF pretty well. However, when the Imperial Armada is formed, it would change into a similar but slightly more ornamental design, similar to the middle concept from Ylva Ljungqvist. That would represent the subtle shift in values nicely, going from a practical defense force to an imperial show of power. But then again, I can't expect the developers to make two shipsets just because it'd be nice to have.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Just a small reminder that this shipset will also be used by the GDF, which might possibly be part of the reason why the really extravagant designs weren't chosen. I know that if I had elected an empire to be our final defense against the crisis, supported them as our leader against the apocalyptic threat on our doorstep, and told them to build the greatest armada the galaxy has ever seen... I'd certainly hope that they wouldn't be using my funding on gold trim and abstract art.

Personally, I think my ideal world would have the GDF start out with the current shipset, since the neutral and brutalist design fits the GDF pretty well. However, when the Imperial Armada is formed, it would change into a similar but slightly more ornamental design, similar to the middle concept from Ylva Ljungqvist. That would represent the subtle shift in values nicely, going from a practical defense force to an imperial show of power. But then again, I can't expect the developers to make two shipsets just because it'd be nice to have.
Why not tho? Is making shipsets somehow incredibly difficult for a big studio? Modders do it in their free time, after a full day of work or school. Why is this bar so low? DLCs are not cheap, two shipsets is like...out of the question?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Please keep your posts on topic and productive.

Reactions:
Why not tho? Is making shipsets somehow incredibly difficult for a big studio? Modders do it in their free time, after a full day of work or school. Why is this bar so low? DLCs are not cheap, two shipsets is like...out of the question?

Alright, let's see if I can explain it in a simple way.

The longest and most drawn out part of making art for a game is the concept phase and the design/redesign phase. Modders get to skip this part, because the shipsets they are "designing" are based on other, existing art or outright ripped.

The concepts and designs already exist and just need to be adapted, for modders. And they can also take shortcuts that paid art designers can't when it comes to the small details.

Then you have the transfer to 3D, animations and sound all of which modders have an advantage in, the sounds almost always already exist, the animations are usually ripped or just need to be put together and they start at the transfer to 3D point or already have 3D bases.

Modders also rarely work as part of a team and so don't have design arguments stalling it or have to put the final result through a quality check.

But the big one is that for high quality mods, they're often a passion project done in free time. This means that the modders can and actually do often pull longer hours than workers because the workers can only work so many hours a day/week and because it's their job they're never going to be as enthused.

To be clear, I do not work at Paradox, I have no clue if they could have done more with the time they had, because I have no clue what amount of time they were given.

My point is that it's not as simple as "Modders can do it faster, so it's easy and so the workers must be being lazy if they can't come up with more, faster."

• 1Like
Reactions:

The longest and most drawn out part of making art for a game is the concept phase and the design/redesign phase. Modders get to skip this part, because the shipsets they are "designing" are based on other, existing art or outright ripped.

The concepts and designs already exist and just need to be adapted, for modders. And they can also take shortcuts that paid art designers can't when it comes to the small details.

Then you have the transfer to 3D, animations and sound all of which modders have an advantage in, the sounds almost always already exist, the animations are usually ripped or just need to be put together and they start at the transfer to 3D point or already have 3D bases.

Modders also rarely work as part of a team and so don't have design arguments stalling it or have to put the final result through a quality check.

But the big one is that for high quality mods, they're often a passion project done in free time. This means that the modders can and actually do often pull longer hours than workers because the workers can only work so many hours a day/week and because it's their job they're never going to be as enthused.

To be clear, I do not work at Paradox, I have no clue if they could have done more with the time they had, because I have no clue what amount of time they were given.

My point is that it's not as simple as "Modders can do it faster, so it's easy and so the workers must be being lazy if they can't come up with more, faster."

I'd like to add , that al l shipset they add need to be updated evry time there is a new part/ship/concept that will interact with a ship set .

If they add ship sets with no fear , they will end up skyrottering the cost of just maintaining the ship. They could end up ignoring past DLC as other companies do , but paradox usualy put some love evrywhere .

Reactions:
No, just be able to pick machine species and some other form of government than gestalt.

I dont think this is the place to discuss this .

As i said , its for balance reason , machines have avantage as pops over the organic one ,having them not inside the scheme of gestal rules would make them umbalanced for the game as a starting empire .

Reactions:

You make some sense there, and while your point can even apply to Stellaris broadly, I don’t think it applies to this update/dlc at all. I say this because that dreadnought doesn’t seem to me like it’s not based on pre-existing concepts and models. It looks like a brand new concept to you?

You make some sense there, and while your point can even apply to Stellaris broadly, I don’t think it applies to this update/dlc at all. I say this because that dreadnought doesn’t seem to me like it’s not based on pre-existing concepts and models. It looks like a brand new concept to you?

all ships\stations have the same concept to make it easyer to manage and create 3d models , all dreadnought have the same dimension and basic model .

i don't even want to immagine how much it would cost to create new concept from 0 for evry dreadnought , titan , ships in general or stations . the debugging of evry model , and successive updates ...

it can be done , it is not easy or free to do unluckly .

Reactions:
it can be done , it is not easy or free to do unluckly .
Other PDX Games have or had Cosmetic DLCs.
While such a policy leads to some concerns, I'd be happy to pay for Cosmetic DLCs if they would give my art thats up to my taste

Other PDX Games have or had Cosmetic DLCs.
While such a policy leads to some concerns, I'd be happy to pay for Cosmetic DLCs if they would give my art thats up to my taste

i know there are such DLC , but even with those, they can't just make them and forget about them .

would you like to buy a DLC for a shipsets, and when a new kind of ship come out, that shipset doesn't have that ship in the particolar skin ?

how much copyes would sell of said DLC ? when the price to make the DLC and updating it with the game start to surpass the income of the DLC itself? whats the margin of income of the DLC ? how much work and investiment goes in the DLC?

they MAKE DLC that are of shipset (nowdays with other meccanics inside ) , considering they added to those DLC other factor , it stand to reason that those DLC did sell as intended, but no enought to considering flooding the game with those.

if they can make money with it, without backlash for some twisted mecanics or PTW , they will produce it and sell it .

after 5 years of stellaris and around 5 DLC ( i may be counting wrong) shipsets ( even if we could argue that 2 DLC had shipsets as plus more than the focus of the DLC) we can see that they find selling shipset DLC as not remunerative enought to have a stable increase of shipsets .
As i'm quite sure that they could make 1 shipsets come out evry 2-3 month if there was a chance to make money with it .

@Brocololli is there a city set or empire background room to accompany the ship set?

Reactions:
i know there are such DLC , but even with those, they can't just make them and forget about them .

would you like to buy a DLC for a shipsets, and when a new kind of ship come out, that shipset doesn't have that ship in the particolar skin ?

how much copyes would sell of said DLC ? when the price to make the DLC and updating it with the game start to surpass the income of the DLC itself? whats the margin of income of the DLC ? how much work and investiment goes in the DLC?

they MAKE DLC that are of shipset (nowdays with other meccanics inside ) , considering they added to those DLC other factor , it stand to reason that those DLC did sell as intended, but no enought to considering flooding the game with those.

if they can make money with it, without backlash for some twisted mecanics or PTW , they will produce it and sell it .

after 5 years of stellaris and around 5 DLC ( i may be counting wrong) shipsets ( even if we could argue that 2 DLC had shipsets as plus more than the focus of the DLC) we can see that they find selling shipset DLC as not remunerative enought to have a stable increase of shipsets .
As i'm quite sure that they could make 1 shipsets come out evry 2-3 month if there was a chance to make money with it .
Why do you assume 1 ship set must be a self-standing dlc?

There are better solutions, either put 1 new/special shipset in every major DLC, or publish a major ship set DLC with several ship sets (perhaps 2 styles for every species fenotype). That one would be a money maker.

Why do you assume 1 ship set must be a self-standing dlc?

There are better solutions, either put 1 new/special shipset in every major DLC, or publish a major ship set DLC with several ship sets (perhaps 2 styles for every species fenotype). That one would be a money maker.

What change ? More shipset , more price to put on it because there is more work . Releasing 1 shipset dlc at 5 € or 10 shipsets at 50€ have the same problem .

It need for them to be worth the present and future investiment .