• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #201: Galactic Imperium

Hello everyone!

Last week we talked about how the Galactic Community can elect a Custodian to unite them against an ongoing crisis, and this week we aim to continue that story.

The Unbidden invaded the galaxy, and in order to defeat the crisis you needed to ask for additional powers, and the length of the war underlined the need for more permanent powers. Those powers were very nice to have, and they are powers that you may not want to give up so easily.

1613644189000.png

Remember that time when you needed to make your custodianship perpetual? Those were the days.

It would be better if you could find a more permanent and legitimate solution. Besides… wouldn’t the galaxy be safer under your leadership anyway?

1613644208348.png

When a Custodianship is granted on a perpetual term limit, the Custodian can propose a resolution for the creation of a Galactic Imperium.

Proclaim the Galactic Imperium
Citizens of the galaxy! On this day we make history as we transition into a new, and brighter future! Under this New Order, our ideals and rights will be protected. We hold these rights to be self-evident and we will defend them by force of arms. No star shall be lost to the enemies of our Community and together we will repel all attacks from within or without. Let our enemies learn to fear us: those who challenge our resolve will be crushed.
– High Chancellor Nilapatep, during the proclamation of the Galactic Imperium

1613644273727.png

Long live the Imperium!

1613644302872.png

Long live the Emperor!

When the Galactic Imperium is created, all federations that were previously in the Galactic Community will be disbanded.

1613644319498.png

There is a New Order in town.

The Galactic Imperium cannot be proclaimed during a War in Heaven.

Galactic Imperium
Once created, the Galactic Community ceases to exist and turns into the Galactic Imperium instead. Some things will be familiar, and some things will be entirely different.

1613644342042.png

Will the Imperial Senate Comfort the Fallen?

The Galactic Emperor will gain access to a number of new resolutions, and a number of resolutions that are similar to those that were available to the Custodian.

1613644361229.png

There is much work to be done in the Galactic Imperium.

The Galactic Emperor retains the powers available to the Custodian, e.g. such as Conclude Session and Freeze Resolution. They will also have a permanent Intel bonus against members, and gain an additional bonus to Diplomatic Weight.

Your Ethics will shift towards Fanatic Authoritarian, shift your Authority to Imperial, and you will get a new government form. Your Civics that are incompatible with your new position will be removed and you will gain a new unique Civic.

1613644377416.png

The emperor will gain a new unique Civic that doesn’t occupy a Civic slot.

Hive Minds, Machine Intelligences and Megacorps are not blocked from proclaiming the Galactic Imperium, and have their own slight twist on it.

A Megacorp that forms the Galactic Imperium gains access to regular civics as well as corporate civics.

Imperial Armada
If there was a Galactic Defense Force during the previous Custodianship, it will be converted into the Imperial Armada instead.

Imperial Authority
The power that the Emperor holds over the Galactic Imperium is reflected in Imperial Authority. Depending on the strength of the Imperial Authority, different things can happen.

1613644401995.png

Members of the Galactic Imperium can choose to Strengthen or to Undermine Imperial Authority.

The Galactic Emperor gains access to a new Operation – Target Seditionists – which will prevent the target from undermining Imperial Authority with their envoys for a certain amount of time.

Those opposing the lawfulness of this New Order will also gain their own tools. The Weaken Imperial Authority Operation will do exactly what it promises. Should Imperial Authority fall below 50, they also gain access to the Spark Rebellion Operation, which will also do exactly what you would expect.

Rebellion
The rebels have chosen to light the flame, and the galaxy is in turmoil once again.

Those who refuse to join the rebels will join a loyalist federation instead, and a war will be declared that pits these two federations against each other. All rebel empires will leave the Imperium for the duration of this war.

If the Rebels win the war, the Imperium is dismantled and reverts back into the Galactic Community. All Rebels will rejoin the Community, Council members lose their seats, and all Loyalists get a temporary debuff to their diplomatic weight for a few years, meaning their influence in the reborn Galactic Community will be limited to begin with. The former Emperor will get even greater diplomatic weight penalties which will also last longer.

If the Loyalists win, the Rebels are all forced back into the Galactic Imperium and they get temporary debuff which lowers their diplomatic weight for a few years. In addition, Imperial Authority is greatly increased.

Regardless of who wins, the Rebel and Loyalist federations are disbanded.

If the war ends in a Status Quo/White Peace, the Rebels secede from the Imperium, and their Federation stays intact.

A Galaxy on Fire
With Nemesis we wanted to focus on the things that can go wrong, we wanted to focus on disruption and chaos. With one crisis defeated, the next crisis might be just around the corner, and it will be up to you to navigate the delicate balance of the galaxy.

Will you light the flame, or will you restore the balance?

Who will be your Nemesis?

• 238Love
  • 165Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I am begging you to give peaceful tall players a way to win. To give a scifi example, where's the Culture path?

• 15Like
Reactions:
I really wish we could get more information on the hivemind twist on it, I suppose I'll have to wait to hear about it but I'm still super excited this is a thing! And those backgrounds look sick, uber menacing!

Also, I once again remind people of the song Galactic Fame by Ultra Sherriff, it shares Vibes with this entire next update!

• 6Like
Reactions:
There are no blockers on the AI proposing the resolution.

But realistically though, what are the chances of the AI actually being able to pull it off? Is it like a War in Heaven situation where it might happen every few games? Or is it more likely that the only time you'll see the Galactic Imperium is if a player does it?

• 7Like
Reactions:
I'm SO happy that you mentioned that Hive Minds can also do this. I am excited to see their spin on it, as someone who basically only plays hives.

This does seem rather interesting, and while it might also be a little annoying for some, personally I'm very excited to watch what happens.

• 20Like
Reactions:
I'm not exactly happy about the fact that the nation is forcefully made Imperial. What if I want to achieve absolute dominance as a CEO of a Megacorp? No love for the Galactic CEO?

• 11Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Missed opportunity, The proclamation should have been called "Proclaim Imperium Galactica"

• 6Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
"Space Wizards did it!"
"Sir, for your own good, I'm ordering you to be quiet."
"Space Wizards, I'm telling you! They run the Galactic Imperium! They're behind it all!"
"Sir, I'm afraid you're going to have to come with me"
"SPAAAACEEE WIIZAAARDDDSSSS DID 2400.9.11!"
"Damnit Blorgson, get him in the van already!"

• 40Haha
  • 5Like
Reactions:
This looks pretty neat, I like how the GC can eventually supersede the power of federations. Have you considered using the Galactic community to run the league of non-alligned powers instead of a Federation? That way, they don't necessarily have to be broken up?
Will there be any changes to the Fuedal society civic?

• 25Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: