• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #197: Operations and Assets

*** CLASSIFICATION LEVEL A3 - EYES ONLY - DO NOT DISTRIBUTE
NOTE: FIND WHOEVER DID THE POOR JOB OF REDACTING THIS DOCUMENT, RELIEVE THEM OF THEIR DUTIES, AND DELIVER THEM TO DEEP SPACE BLACK SITE X-23 IMMEDIATELY. I WISH TO HAVE A LONG CONVERSATION WITH THEM.
- "GOLD SLUG", PLIFF-PLAFF HEIRARCHY INTELLIGENCE

Hello!

Today we’re going deeper into some of the things you can do with the Spy Networks your envoys carefully built up last week.

As noted there, building up a Spy Network will passively provide Intel on the empire they are in as their Infiltration Level increases. (This was previously called “Spy Network Level” but has been renamed for clarity.) Once they've built up enough strength, you can choose to run Operations within the empire. A strong Spy Network can have sufficient bandwidth to run multiple Operations simultaneously.

Like First Contact, Operations use a variant of the Archaeology system first introduced in Ancient Relics. Unlike Archaeology and First Contact, however, when Operations complete objectives necessary to complete their mission, they usually do not require your intervention unless something important has come up.

When starting an Operation, you have the option of assigning a single Asset to the mission.

Operations have an energy credit cost to initiate as well as energy upkeep while ongoing. Most Operations pause for your final approval before they initiate their final step, but your operatives can be given permission to launch as soon as it is ready in the UI.

Covert missions are a little tricky, and sometimes things are a little unpredictable. If problems arise during the mission, your spymaster may contact you seeking guidance. Do you provide them with additional resources to bribe the problem away, have them dedicate a larger portion of the Spy Network to the mission (assuming they have any unallocated Infiltration available), or do you scrap the mission and leave the Asset assigned to the mission out to dry? Likewise, even when things go according to plan, sometimes your operatives have to take what they can get - while other times they may stumble upon far more than they expected.

1611140847658.png

Yes, you can run operations within a hive.

Completing Operations often has an impact on your Infiltration Level - some resources get compromised or otherwise unusable, and depending on the Operation you performed, a hornet’s nest of security may have been stirred. If you had an Asset assigned to the Operation, you will often be given a chance to use them as a scapegoat, burning them to protect the rest of the Network.

Operation Types

We’ve split Operations into four different categories, and here’s a more detailed summary of each type and a few of the Operations we’re planning. (As always with in-development sneak peeks, these are subject to change.)

Subterfuge Operations are common Operations that work to improve the state of the network or do good old fashioned spying on the target empire. Gather Information, Acquire Asset, and Steal Technology are examples of planned Subterfuge Operations.

Sabotage Operations are dedicated to destruction of tangible or intangible things. Sabotage Starbase and Diplomatic Incident are examples of planned Sabotage Operations.

Manipulation Operations twist the truth and replace it with better truths that serve your empire’s needs. Smear Campaign and Extort Favors are examples of planned Manipulation Operations.

Provocations are the most extreme Operations that are almost guaranteed to have blowback. These tend to be relatively difficult to pull off but have major results. Arm Privateers is an example of a Provocation.

Okay, enough of that.

Examples of Operations

Gather Information
(Subterfuge) is one of the simplest Operations, requiring an Infiltration of 20 or higher to initiate. Your spymaster will send their operatives out to, well, covertly gather information. After a relatively short period of time the spymaster will deliver a dossier containing the intelligence to you, which might grant a bonus to current Intel level or provide an Intel Report granting increased Intel on a category for a time period.

It’s not the most glamorous of missions, but should rarely backfire in a spectacular manner. Since Intel decays slowly (currently set to 1 point per year), the Gather Information Operation provides a fairly consistent way to learn more about the galaxy.

Assigning an Asset to the mission will skew the results towards the Asset’s interests, significantly increasing the chance of getting an Intel Report targeting the empire’s Government, Diplomacy, Military, Economy, or Technology.

1611143051274.png

Many Jeferians died to bring us this work-in-progress screenshot.

1611142885429.png
1611143729872.png

Operations do not always produce the same results.

Steal Technology (Subterfuge, Technology) is another one that has created a stir on the forums. Through a variety of means, your agents will attempt to gain access to the research databases of the target. Depending on how things go, several outcomes could occur - they might be able to get some hints as to how a technology works (granting it as a research option and providing some progress), they may be able to leave a backdoor (increasing your empire’s research speed for a time), or if things get messy, they could just destroy whatever research they can (inflicting penalties on the target). Your operatives can only take research that your empire has the hope of understanding, so you must meet all appropriate prerequisites.

This leads to an interesting situation where you ideally want to be spying on an empire of greater technological prowess than your own, but that in itself is riskier since they may have a better chance of catching your operatives.

1611140962353.png

These blueprints are like an Escher drawing.

The Enigmatic Engineering Ascension Perk will block these attempts, as it makes your technology impossible for other empires to reverse-engineer. The spying empire will not know this, however, until they try.

1611140980117.png

The Sensor Range effect has been replaced as well.

Smear Campaign (Manipulation, Diplomacy) is dedicated to working against the relationship two empires may have. After the first chapter completes, you'll have the choice of which relationship you wish your operatives to attempt to diminish. Later, your agents will inform you of the tactics they want to use, with different schemes proposed based on the nature of the selected empires.

In this example, I'm trying to create rifts within a nearby federation by running Smear Campaigns.

1611145428878.png

And finally my agents have informed me that they're ready to unleash misinformation upon an unsuspecting foe.

1611145550362.png

1611145587019.png

Meanwhile, over in the Ztrakpor Confederated Domains...
1611145700320.png

Since their Counter-Espionage measures did not detect our shenanigans, it seems that our agents chose to kick things up a notch and add sabotage of research facilities to the false charges. They've caught wind of our false-flag operation as if they had actually uncovered an operation being being performed by their so-called ally!

The galaxy shall hear of this!

Assets

Assets have been mentioned a few times now, and the Acquire Asset (Subterfuge, Government) is the most consistent way to gain them. It’s possible to gain Assets through random events during other Operations, but tempting them into your service is much more reliable.

Each Asset has two categories they excel at - one of each from Subterfuge, Sabotage, or Manipulation, and Government, Diplomacy, Military, Economy, or Technology. When an Operation is initiated, you can assign the Asset to be part of it, and for each category that matches, the Asset will make completing the mission easier.

Assets in regular empires are generally everyday people - a disgruntled bureaucrat, an ambitious criminal underling, or a sympathetic pop icon. In gestalt empires, they may be deviant drones that your operatives have found a way to utilize to their advantage, or they might be objects that they have taken control of - a damaged pheromone emitter, a deviant labor drone, a hacked coordination system, or a virus introduced into an engagement protocol.

1611155327583.png

Blorg. James Blorg.

Hask'Endek here specializes in Subterfuge and Government related activities, making them especially effective when assigned to the Acquire Asset mission. It turns out that having a bureaucrat able to sift through government records to find other potential marks is incredibly helpful!

If complications arise, having an expendable lackey around to take the fall for your operatives can also be attractive. While you may lure them into service with promises of support and glory, they’re really just pawns in your greater galactic schemes. Often, their true fate is to be "cleaned up" as a loose end to preserve the Spy Network's Infiltration Level after an Operation completes.

That's it for this week. Next week I plan on going over some of the other, nastier Operations.
redacted.png

See you then!

• 152Like
  • 82Love
Reactions:
Looks really interesting!

A few questions:
What aspects of this system can be modded? What are the limtitations?

Can we spy on fallen empires (and faill horribly?)

Can we send multiple envoys to empires, one as spymaster and one to improve relations?

Since envoys are now important, are they real leaders now?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Looking cool so far. I have several questions though:

Are we able to use the espionage system against genocidal empires like determined exterminators or devouring swarms? I imagine trying to gain assets to your cause would be very difficult there.

Since we can steal technology using spy networks now, will the already existing shroud event where you're able to steal technology from fallen empires by reading their minds be changed in some way? And can we use the shroud or the sentry array megastructure as tools to gather intel on other empires or otherwise help with espionage? Trying to hide information from an empire who can see the entire galaxy from their backyard sounds very hard.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Criminal Syndicates gain some espionage related benefits to partially compensate for some difficulties they have gained due to the intel changes. (You can't plop a branch office down on a planet if you don't see the planet, after all.)

We gave them a bonus to Spy Network Growth Speed, and the Disinformation Center has changed a bit.

I'd have to double check with the Content Designers for what happens when you totally botch that one. Usually failing operations causes your Network to get exposed to a degree.

Will there be a way to increase crime on a planet through operations?

• 7Like
Reactions:
Oh wow, love it really. Now the enigmatic engineering trait does make some sense.
Speaking of involuntary technological uplifting.
Do I gain the technology outright or only a 10% bonus on Pisonics as a gestalt consciousness :)

Reactions:
I'm not sure on some of these operations.

Most of them are good. But some of them sound like there's no real counter play to them.
The sabotage research thing? I'm not sure,
Spawn pirates? Sounds cool to do. Shitty to receive.

But I'm willing to see how it works

Reactions:
how does it work between megacorps? like can one megacorp sabotage a 2nd megacorps branch offices? potentially even getting a branch kicked off a third empires planet and freeing it for their own branches?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Assets

Assets have been mentioned a few times now, and the Acquire Asset (Subterfuge, Government) is the most consistent way to gain them. It’s possible to gain Assets through random events during other Operations, but tempting them into your service is much more reliable.
If I have 10 empires all trying to steal my precious secrets will I "generate" 10 times as many assets compared to if I had just one person targeting me? Or will they find it more difficult to obtain assets due to the competing offers?

If one of the 10 severely flubs a mission does that have a chance to negatively impact the others?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will this apply a malus or actively destroy some or all of the starbase? The current UI makes building a late game starbase very annoying (having to wait for modules to build before queuing up the matching buildings, having to upgrade one layer at a time, not being able to queue up locked slots while waiting), having to go through this to rebuild starbases I already built would be... upsetting.

It's safe to say the Sabotage Starbase mission will do about the same thing defeating a Starbase in battle does - namely, disable it for a while, after which it automatically repairs itself back to full health.

It's probably going to be a mission you mainly use to take defenses offline before an invasion, or possibly to stop construction of a late game ship class if you can get enough intel to see what the opponent is building.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Interesting.
Gather Information (Subterfuge) is one of the simplest Operations, requiring an Infiltration of 20 or higher to initiate. Your spymaster will send their operatives out to, well, covertly gather information. After a relatively short period of time the spymaster will deliver a dossier containing the intelligence to you, which might grant a bonus to current Intel level or provide an Intel Report granting increased Intel on a category for a time period.

Could you elaborate on this a little? How is intel actually displayed to the player, will we get any new view-screens/ledgers/dossiers on other empires that pull facts together for us?
  • Having some sort of tab on each empire showing us a list of their known ship designs (Design name, class, weapons/components - given a sufficient intel level) would mean far less menu diving & trying to click on their fleets to inspect them.
Similarly will there be any new galaxy map modes and graphics added? This is something that's sorely missing imo, far too much info is buried in tooltips or in the diplomacy menu requiring a lot of mousing over. Something like
  1. A galaxy map filter showing Intel_type level for each contacted empire (e.g. shaded from Grey/0 to Gold/N)
  2. "Pins" or 3d map markers over other empires worlds showing you that a spy is operating in this nation/sector/system
  3. A way of tracking branch offices present in systems from the galactic map would be useful - not just for megacorps (which arguably could do with such a mapmode just to stay sane) - but incase MC buildings act as vectors to increase/decrease intel in your empire, you'd want to know where they're appearing without cycling through all of your colonies.
This leads to an interesting situation where you ideally want to be spying on an empire of greater technological prowess than your own, but that in itself is riskier since they may have a better chance of catching your operatives.

How will this be balanced vs research sharing?
I get that certain empires wont be able to tech share for diplomatic reasons so I understand there's always a use for this - I'm just curious: would the "average return" on technology be about on-par with research sharing (when you average out the gains, over say 10/50/100 years) or can we expect tech theft to be a faster method of boosting research - to compensate for that downside risk of things going wrong/getting caught.

The Enigmatic Engineering Ascension Perk will block these attempts, as it makes your technology impossible for other empires to reverse-engineer. The spying empire will not know this, however, until they try.

On AI logic ... Will the AI know this? Will it still make an attempt - I.e. will the AIs all start out with a "IDK if he has the EE perk, lets try?" flag, and this swaps to a "He Has EE, set weight 0" flag after the fact? Or will they magically know you have EE and not make any attempts as soon as a player takes it?

Smear Campaign (Manipulation, Diplomacy) is dedicated to working against the relationship two empires may have. After the first chapter completes, you'll have the choice of which relationship you wish your operatives to attempt to diminish. Later, your agents will inform you of the tactics they want to use, with different schemes proposed based on the nature of the selected empires.

In this example, I'm trying to create rifts within a nearby federation by running Smear Campaigns.
We were considering it for the initial batch of Operations, but decided to go with a more hostile approach in general. Maybe in the future though.
I really hope this is added - if not as a spying operation, then as a posthumous update to federations - an option to assign an envoy on an "Amity mission" to an empire ["empire A"] via the diplomacy screen (which then throws up a popup letting you pick "empire B" to improve relations between) would be an excellent way of boosting the chances of different AI empires getting along and joining your federation...

One other operation i'd love to see. Or atleast a variable added so I can mod it in later, Is a way to let a spymaster act as a "Clandestine Peacemaker" between two sides of a war. This would reduce the AI's war surrender threshold to below 100% (I know Crusader Kings 3 has actually got a few variables that do this, I recall forcibly-ending wars at like 80% with highly diplomatic Kings).

Sabotage Operations are dedicated to destruction of tangible or intangible things. Sabotage Starbase and Diplomatic Incident are examples of planned Sabotage Operations.

Manipulation Operations twist the truth and replace it with better truths that serve your empire’s needs. Smear Campaign and Extort Favors are examples of planned Manipulation Operations.

Provocations are the most extreme Operations that are almost guaranteed to have blowback. These tend to be relatively difficult to pull off but have major results. Arm Privateers is an example of a Provocation.

Will there be any plans to manipulate empires on a sector/planet basis? In particular running operations that (system X wide/ sector X wide / empire wide scope)
  • decrease stability (inciting slaves to revolt, or riots, or arming local criminals if youre a CS)
  • decrease amenities (besmirching the local empire's culture / sabotaging public facilities)
  • manipulating pop political power to screw with other empires
    • PP in general is highly under-utilised, and there are a handful of moddable variables that lead to some unique situations.
    • (this is something I experimented with before xmas as part of a mod and it led to some interesting results - giving unhappy worker pops +1000% PP for 6-12months in an empire led to, effectively, 1917-style communist uprisings as they were pissed and this led to instability, one planet even seceded).
    • Alternatively, making the "instability threshold" (20% or 40% stab by default I think?) dynamic - rather than something hard-coded into the defines-file - could be a less ham-fisted way of doing this, so spies could make planets more unstable by raising the stability test level from 20% up to say 45%, letting bad events (crime, riots etc) trigger if stability is < that.
  • Or even tactical things like knocking out a gateway so an enemy cant use it for reinforcements - or hacking it so you can use it in a war for a short window (i.e. forcibly setting ownership to the hacker's empire for X period or until end of war/its original owner re-takes it).

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Your operatives can only take research that your empire has the hope of understanding, so you must meet all appropriate prerequisites.
How does this work if I'm spying on someone who's several techs ahead of me? If I have Blue Lasers and I'm spying on someone who has Gamma Lasers, am I able to steal their old files on how UV Lasers work, or am I not able to steal laser technology at all?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Any plans to allow the Assets to influence your own factions?
Would be nice to fund the xenophile faction in the driven exterminator empire, either turning them nice or split them apart in a decent civil war.

I'm worried about it too, as remeber civ 6 spies was awful to deal with and put me off playing that game. Like that Enigmatic engineering has more use and proberlly gonna take that automaticly. But am a tad worried at sabotage starbase as dont like idea of a defense station going.. "Poof" after just spent alloys upgrading it as security against a devouring swarm for example. x.x

Curious also that gave spiritulist empires buffs vs spys as well, was because materilists quite strong?

Reactions:
Overall, I'm liking the way the system seems to be looking. Giving Assets a few dedicated bonuses and a little bit of lore is a nice touch. For the defensive side, maybe there could be a policy for which aspect of your government you want your counter-espionage people to focus on (Government, Diplomacy, Military, Economy, or Technology, or balanced)? That would be a way to give a little more flexibility and choice to the defender.

I'd like to see an espionage action specifically as pre-emptive counter-espionage. Find out what level of spy network they have on you, gain some bonus defense against their operations, possibly compromise assets (rather than removing them, it could mark them to automatically fail their next operation). This would allow a form of active counter-espionage that is aggressive (possibly leading to incidents) and targeted against specific empires.

I'm surprised to see nothing targeting planets, but then again the list of operations shown isn't comprehensive. Rather then blowing up buildings or districts, temporarily modifiers are the way to go I think. Fermenting rebellion, spiking crime, dropping stability, reducing job output or increasing job upkeep. For criminal Syndicates especially, it'd be great if they had a way to, ah, directly increase their market share, shall we say.

As a final note, make sure to replace that shovel icon on the "pending next step" with an eye or a blorg in a tench coat or something. ;D

• 1Like
Reactions: