• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #194: Intel

Hello everyone!

Last week we started talking about some of the changes we’re making to establishing first contact, and as promised, today we will continue talking about how you can learn more about alien empires.

All of the things we are talking about today is work in progress and may not accurately reflect the finished product. That said, we still want to hear your thoughts and read your feedback!

Background
It always felt like there was so much missing potential when it came to learning more about alien civilizations in the game. We didn’t like that you had so much information as soon as you established communication with an alien empire – all of their borders would be revealed, and the diplomatic window would reveal most of the other information. We aim to change a lot of that.

We want alien civilizations to feel more mysterious and unknown. We want the experience of learning more about alien empires to be an equally important and fun aspect of exploration.

Fog of War
As we briefly showed last week, we are making some changes to fog of war, and what type of information you will be getting about other empires.

You will no longer see all of the systems and borders occupied by the empire you have recently contacted, but it will now instead be tied to how much Intel you have. This really makes alien empires feel way more mysterious, which is something that we really like.

1606994201224.png

The information on the empire to the galactic south-east is very limited. We can see their homeworld and the borders explored by our science ship.

1606994215499.png

The galaxy as seen from the yellow empire in the top-right. There are a bunch of empires that we know very little about, and there are still more that are undiscovered.

Intel
Like mentioned above, our primary objective is to make alien empires feel more mysterious and unknown. We wanted to hide information and allow you to learn more about other empires as you gain more Intel on them. Our goal is to make the Intel game a part of the exploration aspect of Stellaris.

1606995038428.png

An alien empire recently established communications with us. Friends..?

Let’s take a look at how we have designed the Intel game to work.

First off there is Intel, which is a value between 0 and 100. You have a current Intel value, and you have a “target” Intel value, up to which it can grow. You usually have an Intel floor, which is the lowest value it can be, depending on a couple of factors such as:
  • Diplomatic Pacts (Research Agreements, Commercial Pacts etc.)
  • Trust
  • REDACTED (doesn’t look like anything to you)

1606994226596.png

Depending on things like diplomatic pacts, trust or other things, your Intel will grow over time.

Intel Categories
Information is split between different Intel Categories, such as Government, Military, Diplomatic, Economic, Technology. Categories can have different Intel Levels as well, ranging from None to Full. The Intel categories and their levels are what determines what information you have access to. Here are some examples:
  • Low Government Intel (Intel: 10) would reveal basic things like empire name, authority, ethics, capital location.
  • Low Military Intel (Intel: 40) would reveal starbases and relative military power.
  • Medium Government Intel (Intel: 40) would reveal civics and origin.
  • Medium Diplomacy Intel (Intel: 50) would reveal the opinion breakdown and let us see which diplomatic pacts they have with other empires.
The Intel you have on another empire heavily influences the Intel Categories, but it is not the only driving factor. It is also possible to have a higher Intel level in a certain category than what you would normally get from your level of Intel. One such example is Intel Reports, and we’ll talk about some other examples in future dev diaries.

Intel Reports
Intel Reports allow you to gain more information in a certain category, on a timed basis. It would be, for example, possible to gain an Intel Report which lasts for 720 days and gives you a High level of Military Intel, whereas otherwise High Military Intel might require you to have 80 Intel on the empire.

Stale Intel
It is said that knowledge is power, and intel is a form of knowledge. Power usually fades, and so does Intel. It is possible to lose access to information that was previously accessible. In some cases, this information will now be displayed as stale.

1606994248796.png

Intel, now in the scent of working from home for months.

The last information you had about the empire was that they were far weaker than you on many accounts, but perhaps they have strengthened their fleets by now? Stale Intel can also mean that you may no longer see if the borders for an empire change or not.

-------

That's it for this week! Hopefully you've gained some Intel into how the game is changing for the upcoming expansion :)

• 197Like
  • 98Love
Reactions:
Can't you use synonymes to make your text more elegant? Seeing "Intel" 25 times in 3 or 4 lines make the reading of DDs tiedious and uninteresting :confused:

Reactions:
First off there is Intel, which is a value between 0 and 100. You have a current Intel value, and you have a “target” Intel value, up to which it can grow. You usually have an Intel floor, which is the lowest value it can be, depending on a couple of factors such as:
  • Diplomatic Pacts (Research Agreements, Commercial Pacts etc.)
  • Trust
  • REDACTED (doesn’t look like anything to you)

1606994226596.png

Depending on things like diplomatic pacts, trust or other things, your Intel will grow over time.
Will Sensor Coverage of Systems a lot of their Systems mater for this?
I am thinking of using using a Border Fortress with high powered Sensors System (plus maybe Enigmatic Design).
Or maybe even a Megastructure Sensor Array.

At the cost however of Border Friction (they are spying on us). I am thinking of "[vulcans have enough sensors here to tell] what every Andorian is having for breakfast. "

Information that you do not have details on may be obfuscated to varying degrees.

There are some things that you may be able to infer before being able to prove it - for example, if you find a pop with Gaia World Habitability, well... You've probably figured out what their origin is.
I feel like a certain level of disclosure is nessesary to get the full Dipmoatic power from any area.
Nobody will beleive that you should have 2000 Diplomacy Power from Fleet in the year 10 - unless you show at least some of your stuff.

Indeed, how much of your potential diplomatic power you can use might depend on how open you are about information in general. How Xenophile. How secretive.

Reactions:
I feel like a certain level of disclosure is nessesary to get the full Dipmoatic power from any area.

Bit of a blue sky idea for a mechanic that’s a tweak to your point: it makes sense for diplo power to be based on what people *believe* about you. Doesn’t matter if you’ve only got ten red laser corvettes if everyone’s stale intel claims you have a hundred tachyon Lance battleships.

No idea if it would be fun though (seems like it would be confusing at best) if diplo power was calculated by the average of every GC member’s intel on you.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think it could be totally doable to have Diplo Weight be hidden unless you get, say, low diplomacy intel on them. You'd still know roughly where they are from how they rank in the galactic community, but they'd be a bit of a risk factor... and maybe they are a powerful empire in isolationist stance and so intentionally tanking their diplomatic weight, or weak one in cooperative stance with all their envoys sent to the community to boost them out of obscurity.

Reactions:
The diplo weight is already the addition of 4 values, if you don't disclose the detail, I don't see why you need to hide the overall value ( ok some people with awarness can find some exact value after a resolution is passed because of some + or - 20% in specific area)

Reactions:
I think it would be extremely cool to have the ability to hide that you are a fanatical purifier or a determined exterminator or slaver. This would not only allow for suprise attacks, but id like that for roleplay purposes aswell- especially in multiplayer.
Oh, yeah. While the personality type should probably be displayed by default since it's used for AI dialogue, I think there should definitely be an option to conceal it and pretend to be a different empire type.

It would probably be difficult to implement for AI though.

Reactions:
Looks good!

Will intel limit AI opinion modifiers so that e.g. if they don't know I'm a fanatic purifier they won't hold it against me? And will any level of intel be enough to let us see other countries' policies rather than having to deduce it from their personalities and ethics?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Will enigmatic engineering effect intel gain? Because that would make it go from kinda nice to amazing.

• 1Love
Reactions:
@Devs

Given my race has accumulated enough intel, will i be able to find out where my 1st democratic leader vanished to after the first election? And, will it enable me to bring him back as a governor, scientist, admiral or the like?

More seriously, this is a very long-standing bug in vanilla that you guys [PDX] once fixed probably 1-2 years back, but then one of your updates accidentally un-fixed it and its been like this ever since.

Also, while on the subject of bugs, if you guys could try to issue a hotfix [or a 2.8.2 beta] to fix the now probably month+ old bug that means that you can't actually be in breach of galactic law even when you are supposed to be, that would be much appreciated, especially so we don't have this major bug last for further months until 2.9. Presumably if you compare any difference in the processing of galactic law breaches in 2.7.2 and 2.8/2.8.1 you'd be able to find some small change that causes his and revert it to fix it, though admittedly having programmed before there's probably some complication I haven't though of yet.

I don't want to my whole post talking about tangents with bugs, and I want to end on a positive note, so....

... the stuff in this new dev diary sounds really interesting and fun! I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with this going forward.

ADDENDUM:

Would it be possible for us to outright disclose our military strength [but not composition] to our enemy if we are convinced we are far stronger than them and want to intimidate them?

Last edited:
Reactions:
As many have said I think concealing your homeworld should be based on Ethics, with the friendly and outgoing societies being free with that information while the more hostile ones keep it secret. However, basing that purely on Ethics doesn't quite work for all cases, for example the wiki tells me Decadent Hierarchies can be formed from Xenophile ethics but their description says they're isolationist, so if revealing the homeworld were to be tied to xenophile ethics that would be contradictory, so perhaps there should be more to it, or maybe those contradictory outliers need an adjustment.
I also like the idea of a Secrecy policy that changes how easily other nations gain intel on you, but with a corresponding change to their Trust.

Espionage might also be a good way to make government types actually matter a little more - you can fairly easily corrupt a bunch of elected officials but it won't have a huge effect on the nation, but assassinating a monarch's heir can disrupt the entire power structure provided your agent's skilled enough to get past the Royal Guard.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Would be really cool if there were some sort of spy ships that had increased sensor range so you could put them on the borders of empires and peer into them. As well adding some sort of invisibility screen to ships would be great as it add would add more flexibility to fleet combat as you could avoid flights or strike past their defenses. I'm really excited it's finally going to be here Espionage!!

Reactions:
Im looking forward to ways to decrease others intels on you.
Im a bit concerned about this DD. Lets say we are in a galaxy with only 2 empires, 1 small occupying like 30 starsystems, the rest, lets say 370 starsystem, is owned by the other empire. Having closed borders, no pacts ect, the small empire shouldnt know anything about planets/fleets outside of its sensor range, unless the small one once "saw" a planet. In this exapmle lets say the small one have active vision of 50 systems and 3 planets, and had other 200 systems and 10 planets within its sensor range for some time (because of a ship or spy drone whatever). So from 120 systems, the smaller empire should know nothing about, nor know their number, and know that the other empire has at least 3 planets with xy economy right now and had 10 other planets with zx economy z years ago. Also it seen 4 200k fleets at the same time but no longer sees it, it should assume, that the enemy had 800k power.

tl,dr: Espionage should show what the other has the very LEAST, while planets and fleets kept far away from others should be hidden. having a number bigger than x to know everything is dull, and since its espionage, players should make educated guesses about the other empires real power based on the DATA you received during espionage.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is an absurd boon to developp the array of weapons available in this game. Please paradox, in the name of everything that is spiritualist.

DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY

this intel system will mean nothing if you know the newly discovered alien use tier 1 kinetic tier 1 laser.
It will also hardly be worth the effort if the Tech/Unity dichotomy remain the way it is.

Espionnage is great, don't get me wrong, but according to me the true bane of stellaris are the lack of engagement in the unity system and the lack of variety in space battles,
It's strange to see a post with so many votes where I can't even figure out what point you're making, so I feel compelled to ask: what in God's name point are you making?

'Cos on the face of it I would think that discovering that the aliens use T1 weaponry is very useful information, in the "It's free real estate" sense.

But it's possible you're making some sort of commentary on (a personal bugbear of mine) how the AI's universal use of mixed-munition fleets (to which there is no counter-strategy other than build moar ship) means that all intel is useless. Because currently in Stellaris, every enemy empire gets dealt with the same way: outproduce the enemy with generic fleets. An intel mechanic is completely pointless because it will never cause you to change your strategy, so why even bother investing in intel points?

Since you didn't make this point explicitly, I will: Paradox, there is no point in making an intel mechanic unless you simultaneously change up the AI's fleet loadout spec. Intel that doesn't help you win wars is kinda pointless, in order to win wars you need to win battles, and with the way combat works currently, intel can't help you win battles because AI ship loadouts are too generic to intelligently counter.

Reactions:
Sounds great.

Reactions:
The diplo weight is already the addition of 4 values, if you don't disclose the detail, I don't see why you need to hide the overall value ( ok some people with awarness can find some exact value after a resolution is passed because of some + or - 20% in specific area)
This, exactly. We don't need to see a breakdown of their exact diplo weight, but the tooltip could show us how diplo weight is currently being distributed (aka -20% weight from fleets due to GalCom Resolution X). Then, based on that, we could make a bit of an educated guess.

Reactions:
Will you change how the Sentry Array works? Kinda destroys the whole point of all that

The Sentry Array is a megastructure. It should be super powerful, on the scale of a strategic coordination center and all the others. These mechanics are mostly for the early to late-mid game, once you hit late game you'll almost certainly know where other empires are and how they compare to you.

Reactions: