• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #194: Intel

Hello everyone!

Last week we started talking about some of the changes we’re making to establishing first contact, and as promised, today we will continue talking about how you can learn more about alien empires.

All of the things we are talking about today is work in progress and may not accurately reflect the finished product. That said, we still want to hear your thoughts and read your feedback!

Background
It always felt like there was so much missing potential when it came to learning more about alien civilizations in the game. We didn’t like that you had so much information as soon as you established communication with an alien empire – all of their borders would be revealed, and the diplomatic window would reveal most of the other information. We aim to change a lot of that.

We want alien civilizations to feel more mysterious and unknown. We want the experience of learning more about alien empires to be an equally important and fun aspect of exploration.

Fog of War
As we briefly showed last week, we are making some changes to fog of war, and what type of information you will be getting about other empires.

You will no longer see all of the systems and borders occupied by the empire you have recently contacted, but it will now instead be tied to how much Intel you have. This really makes alien empires feel way more mysterious, which is something that we really like.

1606994201224.png

The information on the empire to the galactic south-east is very limited. We can see their homeworld and the borders explored by our science ship.

1606994215499.png

The galaxy as seen from the yellow empire in the top-right. There are a bunch of empires that we know very little about, and there are still more that are undiscovered.

Intel
Like mentioned above, our primary objective is to make alien empires feel more mysterious and unknown. We wanted to hide information and allow you to learn more about other empires as you gain more Intel on them. Our goal is to make the Intel game a part of the exploration aspect of Stellaris.

1606995038428.png

An alien empire recently established communications with us. Friends..?

Let’s take a look at how we have designed the Intel game to work.

First off there is Intel, which is a value between 0 and 100. You have a current Intel value, and you have a “target” Intel value, up to which it can grow. You usually have an Intel floor, which is the lowest value it can be, depending on a couple of factors such as:
  • Diplomatic Pacts (Research Agreements, Commercial Pacts etc.)
  • Trust
  • REDACTED (doesn’t look like anything to you)

1606994226596.png

Depending on things like diplomatic pacts, trust or other things, your Intel will grow over time.

Intel Categories
Information is split between different Intel Categories, such as Government, Military, Diplomatic, Economic, Technology. Categories can have different Intel Levels as well, ranging from None to Full. The Intel categories and their levels are what determines what information you have access to. Here are some examples:
  • Low Government Intel (Intel: 10) would reveal basic things like empire name, authority, ethics, capital location.
  • Low Military Intel (Intel: 40) would reveal starbases and relative military power.
  • Medium Government Intel (Intel: 40) would reveal civics and origin.
  • Medium Diplomacy Intel (Intel: 50) would reveal the opinion breakdown and let us see which diplomatic pacts they have with other empires.
The Intel you have on another empire heavily influences the Intel Categories, but it is not the only driving factor. It is also possible to have a higher Intel level in a certain category than what you would normally get from your level of Intel. One such example is Intel Reports, and we’ll talk about some other examples in future dev diaries.

Intel Reports
Intel Reports allow you to gain more information in a certain category, on a timed basis. It would be, for example, possible to gain an Intel Report which lasts for 720 days and gives you a High level of Military Intel, whereas otherwise High Military Intel might require you to have 80 Intel on the empire.

Stale Intel
It is said that knowledge is power, and intel is a form of knowledge. Power usually fades, and so does Intel. It is possible to lose access to information that was previously accessible. In some cases, this information will now be displayed as stale.

1606994248796.png

Intel, now in the scent of working from home for months.

The last information you had about the empire was that they were far weaker than you on many accounts, but perhaps they have strengthened their fleets by now? Stale Intel can also mean that you may no longer see if the borders for an empire change or not.

-------

That's it for this week! Hopefully you've gained some Intel into how the game is changing for the upcoming expansion :)

• 197Like
  • 98Love
Reactions:
Do it rock, paper, scissor style. One ascension oath is vulnerable to one while superior to the other.

And please accept the vote of the community. Don't show the homeworld until sufficient intel has been gathered

That is not the vote of the community, do not presume to speak for others. I vote that the homeworld should be one of the first things to become visible. Official exchanges with a different empire will likely take place on the homeworld. Just like in the real world, historically the first thing empires would know about eachother is their capitals. That is also how it works in most Civilization games, for example.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I really like these changes.

How about if the homeworld location is not instantly revealed? Finding the homeworld should be either hard (depending on how hard the civilisation is trying to hide it) or easy (Yeah man, Earth is right...there). As in it should be a policy choice.

Hopefully there will be counters to higher level sensors as well, otherwise you're going to know exactly where to strike your AI opponents and I am not sure they will use that info against you as well as a human would.

Also, looking forward to Disinformation campaigns being played on opposition empires.

Reactions:
I like most exploring stage, so this will make it more interesting.

Reactions:
Il like it. It's like a Midgame exploration mechanic.

It also looks like it's a dynamic system which is nice. I have a question, I see that intel can get stale, can intel also go down? As in can an empire become isolationist and deny you more and more information? Effectively making regions of the galaxy "Go Dark"

Also, can empires influence the amount of intel other empires have on you? I see that treaties can raise the floor/increase intel gain rate. Would things like closing your borders to an empire or declaring war lower the ceiling/increase intel loss rate?

And then of course there are things like telepathy/psionics; of course they're going to get bonuses to their intel (not sure in which way) but will telepathy/psionics also provide a defensive intel bonus? making it harder for other empires to gain intel on you (even if they're telepathic/psionic).

Reactions:
Also, can empires influence the amount of intel other empires have on you?

I was wondering this too. Presumably Federations, and maybe vassals, share intelligence, or give each other some sort of buff. Wouldn’t make much sense otherwise to be in an alliance but all sides didn’t share what they knew.

Reactions:
Are there plans to support intel sharing or trading? Like there are active sensor links?

Will the AI also respect intel or does it still know everything about you? Is it worthwhile to pursue a gameplay of exposing little data about yourself, against AI-s?

• 4Like
Reactions:
@grekulf - when viewing the information at the left
of the Diplomatic Screen (Sprawl, Colonies, Pops) - could that be changed to function similar to the way you can view divisions/factories from the HOI4 war screen?

So for example, at no Intel they are just a question mark.
At minimal intel, you get a wide range (60 - 600 pops).
At moderate intel, you get an accurate range (150 - 350 pops).
At high intel, you get the number (254 pops).

Knowing exact diplomatic weight with precise breakdown by category is also going to be an issue, but I am guessing you already have plans to deal with that.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Do it rock, paper, scissor style. One ascension oath is vulnerable to one while superior to the other.

And please accept the vote of the community. Don't show the homeworld until sufficient intel has been gathered
Usually I am lazy and just click Agree or Respectfully Disagree (or something else), but can't do that on this one...

I disagree with the former and
agree with the latter (wouldn't call it community vote though. But it was mentioned and I am in agreement with that suggestion).

Reactions:
Seems strange that knowing where an empires capital is should come at low level intel. It should probably be medium or high level that reveals that. Many empires would wish to keep that secret especially from a new empire. xenophobes or militarists would definitely try to keep that secret always.

would it be possible to change the intel level for certain info based on the target empire's ethics and your own ethics?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
That is not the vote of the community, do not presume to speak for others. I vote that the homeworld should be one of the first things to become visible. Official exchanges with a different empire will likely take place on the homeworld. Just like in the real world, historically the first thing empires would know about eachother is their capitals. That is also how it works in most Civilization games, for example.

I think it should be a part of the first contact policies whether or not you immediately reveal your homeworld/capital location. Xenophillic/friendly empires will be more likely to behave as you describe whereas xenophobic/isolationist empires might opt to keep that a closely guarded secret and do diplomacy aboard the outpost the Xenos stumbled upon.

• 3Like
Reactions:
This update looks amazing already.
I have a question about Government Intell though.
Will other empires to able to find the locations of my colonies through Intell the same way they discover my Capital location?
Naturally, I would perfer if xeno's don't know where all my people live :p

Reactions:
how does it work for the ai viewing the player? or is it not affected by intel?

• 1Like
Reactions:
So far it sounds like a LOT of new micromanagement added. I hope there will be new QoL intel features in place as well, such as spy ships, intelligence networks, good old information sellers (you are absolutely, filthy rich? Don't spy it, buy it!), scientists hacking into enemy networks and computers, and so on.
Also would be good to add ideology bonuses as well, like xenophiles can acquire information a lot easier (you are good at earning the trust!), while xenophobes are really good at hiding their information (they are not going to share their secrets with filthy xenos, not willingly. Especially with you.), etc.

Reactions:
That REDACTED thing feels like a espionage/counterespionage thing. Great!

Now listen here devs! You can't miss the opportunity of adding a great mechanic, which is, making the AI less prone to declare wars on enemies they have little intel on. IF there is indeed some mechanic coming along in the lines of building up your intel defenses, that would be a game changer as instead of the ever-present military buildup, an empire could for instance choose to rely on more subtle measures.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Intel Reports
Intel Reports allow you to gain more information in a certain category, on a timed basis. It would be, for example, possible to gain an Intel Report which lasts for 720 days and gives you a High level of Military Intel, whereas otherwise High Military Intel might require you to have 80 Intel on the empire.

Could you give us hints about how these reports are made or is that [REDACTED] and should I report to station security for a [REDACTED] by the [REDACTED]?

• 3Haha
Reactions: