• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #193: Signal Discovered

Hello everyone!

This week we are going to talk about something new that we’ve been working on - namely improving first contact and extending the exploration aspects of the game. All of this is work in progress and may not accurately represent what the game will look like once all of this work is finished. A lot of UI is very much work in progress, so don't pay too much attention to icons or such.

Background
Exploration has always been one of the best parts of Stellaris, and it is perhaps what sets us apart from other games that follow similar themes. Looking back, Stellaris has mostly revolved around the physical exploration of space, discovering an ancient galaxy full of wonders. We believe that exploring and uncovering the galaxy is such an important and fun aspect of the game that we really want to dive deeper into those experiences. We intend to take the next steps by improving the means by which you can establish communication and make the process of learning more about alien civilizations a part of the exploration gameplay.

In this dev diary we will be outlining some of the changes and additions that we are currently working on, so that you can get an idea of what to expect from our next big update.

First Contact
The first steps we are taking is that we are changing how first contact works. First contact is now a much more engaging process with interesting choices that are supported by great narrative.

When you first have an alien encounter you are able to set a policy for what your approach will be. First Contact Protocols is a policy option that lets you dictate your stance when it comes to dealing with newly discovered alien civilizations. Each option has different effects that should suit different types of diplomacy.

1606378897174.png

Friends..?

1606378920610.png
1606378948948.png
1606378963709.png

First Contact Protocol Policy options.

First Contact Investigation
In order to establish communication with the alien contact, an Envoy will need to be assigned to the First Contact Investigation. The investigation will then be able to begin, and it will run through stages and will contain events similar to an archaeological dig site. The reason why we chose a system similar to archaeology is because its a great way of letting a process run over time in a way where it can also deliver some narrative along the way. The difficulty of the first contact investigation will be affected by things like how friendly the target is, or how difficult it is to translate their signals.

Since First Contact now uses an Envoy, that also means that it no longer pauses Society Research, and it is possible to run multiple first contact investigations simultaneously as long as you have the Envoys required.

(Envoys do still currently not have traits or levels, but it is something we are actively discussing.)

1606378984315.png

1606378996597.png

The events that you can get depend on the type of empire you are, and on the type of alien you are trying to contact.

There are friendly/peaceful paths as well as ... less so.

As a xenophobic empire with an aggressive first contact protocol it is possible to secure a couple of specimen for a closer look.

1606379015279.png

1606379025538.png

1606379035301.png

The choices you make during first contact can also have long-term effects on your relationship with the alien empire. Choose wisely and decide which trade-offs you are willing to make. Are you perhaps a materialistic and xenophobic empire that values scientific progress above all?

1606379046318.png

1606380527628.png

Stay on your side of the galaxy and all can be well.

1606379071811.png

Let’s agree to disagree.

----------------

That is all for this week! Next week we’ll be showing you some new features that allow you to explore maps like the one posted here below.

1606380042523.png

• 213Like
  • 154Love
Reactions:
This looks like a great change! One question; when a first contact event is started does it create this kind of narrative quest for both parties? Or is it just the initiator of first contact?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah I don't think they remembered to censor all "redacted" info, I can see the intel points :D

But yeah, on sidenote whenever they do trailer for espionage dlc, kinda hoping it will turn out that Commonwealth of Man actually lured those colossus using aliens to attack United Nations of Earth ;p Mostly because that would twist the knife on their proclamation to strike agaisnt those aliens on behalf of humanity if they let them attack other human nation in first place xP (and hey the federation trailer with them helping that one part of federation turn into hegemony shows they aren't above subterfuge)

...Yeah, I enjoy the evolving drama/narrative in the dlc trailers :p

Anyhoo, yeah, on sidenote really liking the expansion on first contact stuff (and what you saying in final contact screen finally having effect) though if it means removing all "ethic combination dialog options" I'll be little sad. I kinda liked all combinations(and there being few unique ones, like xenophobe/militarist/spiritualist having their own evangelizing zealot themed dialog option)

• 2Like
Reactions:
That should never be the case anymore.

So +1 envoy for everybody or the ethics which have a -1 envoy will be changed.

Good news !

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wouldn't this make first contact rather tedious after the first ones? You meet a lot of empires in some games after all...

Reactions:
Seems interesting. Can war be waged during the first contact even even without the two empires being xenophobe? For exemple when they discover that some of their pops were abducted or at the result of some even?

Is this going to be only for the first alien empire you encounter or for evey one you encounter? May be a little long if it's the second option.

I'm just hoping this whole Intel And Espionage system is going to be the same for everyone. I'm tired of asking to give Gestalt players equal amounts of content.

They already have no Horizon Signal, no Ruler Traits, no Agendas, have to deal with Deviancy while Crime Lord deal is +10 stability for the whole game and Crime is a non-factor, have fewer (or none for Hiveminds) options for Federations. Can't be a Necrophage as Hivemind, can't do Psionic Ascension as Hivemind. Can't start as Voidborn as Gestalt. Can't choose to start as a pet of a Fallen Empire as Gestalt, even though they call you "experiment XYZ" which would be a great choice for a Pet Devouring Swarm playthrough, or any Biological Hivemind really.

• 11Like
Reactions:
I really like the storytelling, RP and gameplay potential of these plans. I think this will be great.

Also, I think giving Envoys traits would be a good idea too. It will give us more attachment to them and further improve the RP. Like an Archeologist-anaolog traitt to speed first contact investigations, or building trust growth faster, etc.

Finally, on a tangent as we speak about changes to the game, could you strongly consider putting out a 2.8.2 beta patch with bug fixes? The "breach of galactic law" mechanic of the Galactic Community is not working in 2.8/2.8.1, which undermines not only a key diplomatic mechanic but also the paid-DLC resolutions from Federations. I know your QA team is aware of this issue, as they've acknowledged it in response to the communities bug reports?

Reactions:
Wouldn't this make first contact rather tedious after the first ones? You meet a lot of empires in some games after all...

I am curious yeah if there are limits of these types of encounters, like perhaps only to your neighboring alien nations?

On sidenote, have to make fun of this, forgot to point out that paradox seems to continue encouraging the "Stellaris is war crime simulator" thing :'D

• 4Haha
Reactions:
I really like how your contact message now has an effect on your initial relationship!

I think it already does (when you give your choice of 3 greetings messages), but in a way that often lacks transparency and can be confusing. This way seems to be an improvement.

EDIT: Am I mistaken? I thought that's what the New Contact -20 penalty that you sometimes but not always get was.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Looks really good. One thing I hope you pay special attention to, is getting AI with aggressive first contact to act on that behavior. Right now, starting fleets mostly just sit around doing nothing for the first 20 years. This is a big waste of potential gameplay IMO. If these aggressive AI were sending its 3 starting corvettes out roaming around and causing problems for your science and construction vessels, it could make things much more interesting (and personal!).

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hum... Am I the only one thinking about the fact that an "Isolationist" protocol should be a thing ?

Reactions:
Looks really good. One thing I hope you pay special attention to, is getting AI with aggressive first contact to act on that behavior. Right now, starting fleets mostly just sit around doing nothing for the first 20 years. This is a big waste of potential gameplay IMO. If these aggressive AI were sending its 3 starting corvettes out roaming around and causing problems for your science and construction vessels, it could make things much more interesting (and personal!).

Some empires may now be more likely to be initially hostile towards your science ships. It can create interesting scenarios where a part of the galaxy is denied to you by a hostile and unknown alien civilization.

@grekulf

Is it sabotage or manipulation (like misinformation warfare, etc.) in that redacted option? [I know you probably can't say yet, so I'm just sharing my guess.]

It will become evident in due time.

• 34Like
  • 11Love
Reactions: