• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #188: Necroid Characters & the Art process

Hello everyone!

My name is Fredrik Toll, and I am the Art Director for Stellaris. For this week's dev diary, we will have a look at how we develop our characters included in the Necroids Species Pack.

Finding ideas
Much like when we design the ships, we start out with reference gathering, finding anything that inspires us visually. We gather everything we can find that fits roughly within the theme. In this case it was everything from Venetian masks, Egyptian mummies, Mexican makeup from Día de Muertos, wraiths, ascended energy beings, vampires, dark elves, and of course skulls. We are looking to find as many different ideas as possible.
Once we feel we have enough, we look at what we have, discuss them and put them in clusters, things that relate to each other and might be an idea for a species. We want each species to be as different from each other as possible, as well as trying to fulfill as many different player fantasies as possible.

On of the things we do to add depth to the ideas is we try to come up with a backstory for each of the, to explain a bit more what they are. Does not have to be that detailed, just something to give some context, and adds details, and helps the artist when they paint them, drawing on their history.

A backstory might be something like:
“A species which inhabits a completely sealed suit which they can never leave. You can see through the transparent helmet that whatever they once were, they are a hollow scare version of that.”
“An alien that has kept itself alive through genetic manipulation, the cells no longer die, they just keep dividing. The body has grown uncontrolled and looks weird / mutated.”

Developing ideas
So once we have settled on the 15 or so idea’s we need, we start sketching out various ideas. For the initial ones we usually just do line art, sometimes rough shading, it depends on the artist. We always develop at least 3-4 different versions of each character idea before going ahead and developing it further.
Here are some of the early look dev for some species.

01_early_concept_01.png

02_early_concept_02.png

03_early_concept_03.png.png

After the sketching phase, we use much the same process for developing aliens as we do for ship designs. We start out with rough sketches for the ideas, to see which path we want to go on. Then we choose the one we think has the best potential, develop it a bit further, trying different sub variants / poses. Once we are happy with the idea and its structure, we usually do a color test, look at different ways we can shade them.

Here is an example of what all this looked like for the aforementioned alien which extended life through genetic manipulation.

Rough sketches
04_species_development_01_sketches.png

Idea Variants / Refinement
05_species_development_02_refinement.png

Rendering
06_species_development_03_rendering.png

Color variants
07_species_development_04_color.png

3D Characters
Even though the characters are done in 2D, and look like it in game. The way they are made is technically in a 3D software. To do this, the character needs to be split into layers. So before rendering all the details, we split them up into the components they need. Tentacles might be several layers, eye lids, arms etc, anything that moves needs to be on a separate layer. By splitting them up early, the animator can start setting them up with the rough version. While the 2D Artist continues his work on the details. This also enables us to catch any issues with the character earlier.

Character texture
split_character.PNG

Character in 3D in perspective view
3d_character.PNG

Example of what the character looks like in Maya, all set up and rigged.

So once the color test, and layer split is done, we can finally move on to the final render. This is where most of the work comes in, making it feel more 3 dimensional, making sure the materials look realistic.

08_species_development_05_final.png

--------

That is all for this week. Next week we'll be posting the patch notes that you may have seen on our social media.

Keep an eye on our social media channels where we will be posting some more of the portraits.

• 112Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
Nature don't work by making mistakes. And giving intelligence to eyeless, blind aliens would be a mistake! So, unless you can proof it, THERE IS NO WAY AN EYELESS ALIEN CAN ANALIZE A 3D IMAGE. PERIOD!

Gee, lets look for mistakes, shall we? There are deer with fangs. Humans have appendixes. The human eye has a blind spot where the nerve gets in the way, but the octopus eye does not..

Nature doesn't care about mistakes unless those mistakes impair survivability.

And sonar is better at 3D than sight. That's why a bat hunts moths with sonar -- not sight.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If you originate from an environment lacking in ambient light, eyes are a pointless liability since they are vulnerable to damage. If sonar is applicable, computer readouts are in no way a problem. Ditto for tactile senses, magnetic senses, etc etc.

There is no reason why a blind sophont shouldn't develop tech and, indeed, FTL drives.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Nature don't work by making mistakes. And giving intelligence to eyeless, blind aliens would be a mistake! So, unless you can proof it, THERE IS NO WAY AN EYELESS ALIEN CAN ANALIZE A 3D IMAGE. PERIOD!
I just proved to you how an eyeless aliens can analyse a 3D image.

You are just saying that because you don't know a game called Space Empires V -- that game has some very interesting non-humanoid aliens. The best part? All they were done by S.C.Watson, one of the creators of the mods Alien Suns and Alien Suns: The Outer Rim . The aliens of the Space Empires V can be seen here (Attention: site in japanese).

My favorites? those are the Ukra-Tal Collective -- dragon/serpent/slug-like aliens with advanced organic technology.
So I went back to find where this tangent started, and this seems to be the jumping off point.

And I have to say, given the designs of some of the aliens in the mentioned game, I find it absolutely hilarious that eyes are where the line is being drawn.

Reactions:
For the good of this game, I really do help a big fox update is coming soon behind this portrait pack. I love the new art, but I really am starting to agree this game needs help.

EDIT: Especially with it's crowd funded rival being announced.

Okay, let's be real here: this was put out because PDox is afraid not talking will be seen as them abandoning the game. However, instead of pacifying the community, it's instead pissed everyone off because people don't want to hear about art (even good art) they want to hear about playability and game functionality.

Reactions:
Bats don't operate computers -- but apes with good eye sight (us)? they can do it easily. PERIOD!
There are creatures with much better sight than us that don’t operate computers. Sight ≠ Sentience. Sentience - sight ≠ non-sentient
You done nothing! All you done was to give an extraordinary claim without giving any solid proof!
You haven’t given solid proof that you need eyes to be sentient. You would need to get more than one sentient species to use as examples to prove that to me. So whilst neither of us can prove each other with good evidence, the fact that my theoretical idea works is good enough.

Reactions:
???? They'd operate them with limbs. I don't understand what your question is supposed to be. They'd reach out and touch the machines.
You disappoint me, you could have at least come up with some fanciful idea of them recording things via hollowed out cylinders of some sort which they "read" with their sonar.

Yes, it would. So what? That does nothing to preclude the ability for a sightless species to achieve intelligence.
I still think sight/light perception is too good an advantage to pass up in most earth like environments for the bulk of species. Might as well talk about an advanced species that is incapable of any form of locomotion.

Anglerfish live near the 'top' of the abyssal layer. Go down to the geothermal vents and there is plenty of species with absolutely no eyesight at all. And, again 'unlikely' is not the same as 'it's impossible, they'd have to be uplifted', and the latter is the only thing I'm arguing against.
And again the abyssal layer is unlikely to bethe home of a technologically advanced civilization, the sea in general is unlikely (I still want aquatics/pisceans, because its a game not science)
Those creatures down at the sea vents are also very primitive, mostly tubeworms and the more complex/intelligent ones, such as Vulcanoctopi are what Imentio I earlier; intellent species that *lost*their sight and could likely recover it if conditions changed rather than intelligent life that has evolved without sight.

I still think sight/light perception is too good an advantage to pass up in most earth like environments for the bulk of species. Might as well talk about an advanced species that is incapable of any form of locomotion.
We are talking about an environment where light perception would be unnecessary not an Earth-like environment.

Reactions:
And sonar is better at 3D than sight. That's why a bat hunts moths with sonar -- not sight.
That's because bats hunt in low-light environment. If they could produce light like a poweful flashlight and had omnidirectional vision (or even better, had laser mapping technology), do you really believe they would see better with echolocation? All they can "see" with sonar is general position of things. Sound is not that great for finer details, its wavelength is not fit for them, just as light is not fit to see anything smaller than bacteria, which is why we use electron microscopes. It is better than light at sounding solids though, since it propagates in them, while electromagnetic waves are stopped by them with differing efficiency.

Okay, let's be real here: this was put out because PDox is afraid not talking will be seen as them abandoning the game. However, instead of pacifying the community, it's instead pissed everyone off because people don't want to hear about art (even good art) they want to hear about playability and game functionality.
These diaries give the impression of being pre-written.

Reactions:
That's because bats hunt in low-light environment. If they could produce light like a poweful flashlight and had omnidirectional vision (or even better, had laser mapping technology), do you really believe they would see better with echolocation? All they can "see" with sonar is general position of things. Sound is not that great for finer details, its wavelength is not fit for them, just as light is not fit to see anything smaller than bacteria, which is why we use electron microscopes. It is better than light at sounding solids though, since it propagates in them, while electromagnetic waves are stopped by them with differing efficiency.
Okay, so let's look at that environment, low light conditions - which is also where we see eyeless animals evolving in caves. Is it unreasonable that a nocturnal alien on a planet with no moon might not have eyes? Yes, it might be advantageous to engage the infrared portion of the visible spectrum, but as we see in snakes, such detection can be handled without traditional eyes.

I'm not saying it would be particularly common, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions:
This may be my favorite thread derailment of all time.

"LOOK, NECROIDS!"

<pitchfork brigade wanting to burn down Paradox for patch notes>

<appreciation of the artwork>

YOU NEED HUMAN 5 SENSES TO BE SENTIENT!!!!

• 16Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For the good of this game, I really do help a big fox update is coming soon behind this portrait pack. I love the new art, but I really am starting to agree this game needs help.

Oooh, what game is its crowdfunded rival?

I'm looking forward to the Distant Worlds sequel.

Oooh, what game is its crowdfunded rival?

I'm looking forward to the Distant Worlds sequel.

Interested by it aswell it's not that i have no faith in paradox but...

Hi folks,

it seems like the harmless debate about "whether the filthy xenos need eyes" is getting heated, seems like a good time to remind everyone to stay on topic.

This is the dev diary thread, please keep discussions to the DD in question, and move your other discussions to a separate thread.

Thank you! :D

• 5Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
The previous species packs included their own advisors. Will necroids also have one? Is the voice in the trailer a sample of a potential new advisor voice?

Edit: yes it does. I found the answer in a previous Dev diary.

Last edited: