• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #188: Necroid Characters & the Art process

Hello everyone!

My name is Fredrik Toll, and I am the Art Director for Stellaris. For this week's dev diary, we will have a look at how we develop our characters included in the Necroids Species Pack.

Finding ideas
Much like when we design the ships, we start out with reference gathering, finding anything that inspires us visually. We gather everything we can find that fits roughly within the theme. In this case it was everything from Venetian masks, Egyptian mummies, Mexican makeup from Día de Muertos, wraiths, ascended energy beings, vampires, dark elves, and of course skulls. We are looking to find as many different ideas as possible.
Once we feel we have enough, we look at what we have, discuss them and put them in clusters, things that relate to each other and might be an idea for a species. We want each species to be as different from each other as possible, as well as trying to fulfill as many different player fantasies as possible.

On of the things we do to add depth to the ideas is we try to come up with a backstory for each of the, to explain a bit more what they are. Does not have to be that detailed, just something to give some context, and adds details, and helps the artist when they paint them, drawing on their history.

A backstory might be something like:
“A species which inhabits a completely sealed suit which they can never leave. You can see through the transparent helmet that whatever they once were, they are a hollow scare version of that.”
“An alien that has kept itself alive through genetic manipulation, the cells no longer die, they just keep dividing. The body has grown uncontrolled and looks weird / mutated.”

Developing ideas
So once we have settled on the 15 or so idea’s we need, we start sketching out various ideas. For the initial ones we usually just do line art, sometimes rough shading, it depends on the artist. We always develop at least 3-4 different versions of each character idea before going ahead and developing it further.
Here are some of the early look dev for some species.

01_early_concept_01.png

02_early_concept_02.png

03_early_concept_03.png.png

After the sketching phase, we use much the same process for developing aliens as we do for ship designs. We start out with rough sketches for the ideas, to see which path we want to go on. Then we choose the one we think has the best potential, develop it a bit further, trying different sub variants / poses. Once we are happy with the idea and its structure, we usually do a color test, look at different ways we can shade them.

Here is an example of what all this looked like for the aforementioned alien which extended life through genetic manipulation.

Rough sketches
04_species_development_01_sketches.png

Idea Variants / Refinement
05_species_development_02_refinement.png

Rendering
06_species_development_03_rendering.png

Color variants
07_species_development_04_color.png

3D Characters
Even though the characters are done in 2D, and look like it in game. The way they are made is technically in a 3D software. To do this, the character needs to be split into layers. So before rendering all the details, we split them up into the components they need. Tentacles might be several layers, eye lids, arms etc, anything that moves needs to be on a separate layer. By splitting them up early, the animator can start setting them up with the rough version. While the 2D Artist continues his work on the details. This also enables us to catch any issues with the character earlier.

Character texture
split_character.PNG

Character in 3D in perspective view
3d_character.PNG

Example of what the character looks like in Maya, all set up and rigged.

So once the color test, and layer split is done, we can finally move on to the final render. This is where most of the work comes in, making it feel more 3 dimensional, making sure the materials look realistic.

08_species_development_05_final.png

--------

That is all for this week. Next week we'll be posting the patch notes that you may have seen on our social media.

Keep an eye on our social media channels where we will be posting some more of the portraits.

• 112Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
Huge long-time fan of Stellaris who appreciates the DD and is looking forward to the upcoming DLC, and is upset to see just how hostile a lot of posting in this thread is. Not regretting mostly noping out of the community on here.

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Most of the aliens in Stellaris aren't very alien at all.

True enough - on the outside. It may look like a bird, but are those things feathers? Is that a beak or the protective housing for the liquid crystal dynamic flow that functions as its brain? Or are the outer extrusions organs whose use we don't understand, and wouldn't fit safely inside their bodies?

Imagination is the stuff of multi-racial sci-fi. The humanoids might look like us, but they aren't us.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Huge long-time fan of Stellaris who appreciates the DD and is looking forward to the upcoming DLC, and is upset to see just how hostile a lot of posting in this thread is.

I think a lot of people think that this level of hostility is the only way to get them to actually do bug fixes.

I wish I could say categorically that those people are wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions:
While I'm very excited about this art set, it doesn't make me want to fire up the game again. I've found my last playthroughs somewhat unenjoyable and frustrating. It's my sincere wish that the development of the game continues, but that it focuses on making the game more fun to play. I miss Wiz.
I simply can not understand how the man can curate the creation of a single worst DLC in the history of PDX games (that I've seen) and walk away from it all with people wanting him to come back. Wiz's ideas are literally the sole reason we are where we are now. I once thought that Wiz was great and was very much supportive of him replacing Henrik Fåhraeus but holy crap I couldn't have been more wrong.

Edit: I can't even fully blame grekulf and the current team for how shit the situation is right now, they have their own problems with the lack of direction, poor communication and the like, but they *are* working with what Wiz left them with.

• 2Love
Reactions:
Cool modeling! ...But is there going to be a dev diary before release about AI improvements, performance, or fixing crises? Are those being addressed at all in this update?

Aesthetics are nice but there are core game issues needing attention.

Reactions:
But is there going to be a dev diary before release about AI improvements, performance, or fixing crises?
It says in this one that next week we get the patch notes.

Those will tell us what is supposed to be fixed, at least. (It's not like the species pack itself needs many lines.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
It says in this one that next week we get the patch notes.

Those will tell us what is supposed to be fixed, at least. (It's not like the species pack itself needs many lines.)

Just, no one should expect too much from the bug fixes. The game director went out of his way to say the more expansive issues are too risky right now: AI (crisis, military, and economic) was specifically mentioned in the question and the answer was "not this patch".

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-186-necroid-ships-the-art-process.1429333/post-26974964 said:
Ambereyed said:
When we will get any informations about crisis AI, military AI, performance, and other popular issues?

Soon™.

We have a number of different topics we're looking into, but we won't be talking about them in more detail right now. We don't want to deploy something too risky along with the species pack, but when we make progress in something it's likely to find its way to a public beta branch sometime after that.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Hello everyone!

My name is Fredrik Toll, and I am the Art Director for Stellaris. For this week's dev diary, we will have a look at how we develop our characters included in the Necroids Species Pack.

Finding ideas
Much like when we design the ships, we start out with reference gathering, finding anything that inspires us visually. We gather everything we can find that fits roughly within the theme. In this case it was everything from Venetian masks, Egyptian mummies, Mexican makeup from Día de Muertos, wraiths, ascended energy beings, vampires, dark elves, and of course skulls. We are looking to find as many different ideas as possible.
Once we feel we have enough, we look at what we have, discuss them and put them in clusters, things that relate to each other and might be an idea for a species. We want each species to be as different from each other as possible, as well as trying to fulfill as many different player fantasies as possible.

On of the things we do to add depth to the ideas is we try to come up with a backstory for each of the, to explain a bit more what they are. Does not have to be that detailed, just something to give some context, and adds details, and helps the artist when they paint them, drawing on their history.

A backstory might be something like:
“A species which inhabits a completely sealed suit which they can never leave. You can see through the transparent helmet that whatever they once were, they are a hollow scare version of that.”
“An alien that has kept itself alive through genetic manipulation, the cells no longer die, they just keep dividing. The body has grown uncontrolled and looks weird / mutated.”

Developing ideas
So once we have settled on the 15 or so idea’s we need, we start sketching out various ideas. For the initial ones we usually just do line art, sometimes rough shading, it depends on the artist. We always develop at least 3-4 different versions of each character idea before going ahead and developing it further.
Here are some of the early look dev for some species.

View attachment 641778

View attachment 641780

View attachment 641781

After the sketching phase, we use much the same process for developing aliens as we do for ship designs. We start out with rough sketches for the ideas, to see which path we want to go on. Then we choose the one we think has the best potential, develop it a bit further, trying different sub variants / poses. Once we are happy with the idea and its structure, we usually do a color test, look at different ways we can shade them.

Here is an example of what all this looked like for the aforementioned alien which extended life through genetic manipulation.

Rough sketches
View attachment 641782

Idea Variants / Refinement
View attachment 641783

Rendering
View attachment 641785

Color variants
View attachment 641786

3D Characters
Even though the characters are done in 2D, and look like it in game. The way they are made is technically in a 3D software. To do this, the character needs to be split into layers. So before rendering all the details, we split them up into the components they need. Tentacles might be several layers, eye lids, arms etc, anything that moves needs to be on a separate layer. By splitting them up early, the animator can start setting them up with the rough version. While the 2D Artist continues his work on the details. This also enables us to catch any issues with the character earlier.

Character texture
View attachment 641788

Character in 3D in perspective view
View attachment 641789
Example of what the character looks like in Maya, all set up and rigged.

So once the color test, and layer split is done, we can finally move on to the final render. This is where most of the work comes in, making it feel more 3 dimensional, making sure the materials look realistic.

View attachment 641787

--------

That is all for this week. Next week we'll be posting the patch notes that you may have seen on our social media.

Keep an eye on our social media channels where we will be posting some more of the portraits.

The persistent lack of information about the release date is turning me into a hollow scare version of whatever I once was.

• 5Haha
Reactions:
3d_character.PNG

I've never touched portrait modding ... but If you actually rig them in maya, what would happen, hypothetically, if you tried to import an actual rigged 3d shape for characters, into the game, instead of 2D planes? (e.g. the maya teapot, as a test)
Would we see 3d characters rendering in-game in leader portraits/planet views? or would they just fail to load if the game doesn't detect a certain format?

It should be possible to simple have a 3D portraits, but there will likely be some issues, clipping planes being weird, weird FOV, etc, have not tried.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
devs, i will not repost my previous remarks about how poor your timing is, as it seems you simply do not care. all I will say is that your game is a mess and you are wasting time on stupid crap like space ZOMBIES!

the only reason stellaris is even enjoyable for me anymore is because i have modded it within an inch of it's life. that is not a good state for a game to be in and you know it.

I get that leaving the game in it's current state is management's fault and not yours but come on it's been two years since the megacorpse dumpsterfire and instead of cleaning up the rubble left by that disaster you are simply adding new levels to the few undamaged buildings, and usually those levels collapse and take another building with them.

at some point you guys need to take a year off from adding new crap and spend that time cleaning up the mess the game currently is

• 3Like
Reactions:
at some point you guys need to take a year off from adding new crap and spend that time cleaning up the mess the game currently is
Well, as long as people keep paying for it, they actually don't. Sure would be nice, though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, as long as people keep paying for it, they actually don't. Sure would be nice, though.
it's pretty much necessary, every update breaks the game more and more, and eventually it will be bad enough to dissuade people from from buying the game because they've read too many bad reviews. at that point paradox will either fix the game or abandon it. they likely won't even consider fixing the game until it's issues begin to affect their bottom line

Reactions:
Remember guys, don't get mad at the artists, they do incredible work. Don't blame them and the content designers for what other sections of the team are lacking. They don't deserve the flack.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Remember guys, don't get mad at the artists, they do incredible work. Don't blame them and the content designers for what other sections of the team are lacking. They don't deserve the flack.
i don't have any issue with the artists, and in normal time I'd buy this pack just for those sexy ships, it's the game's current state that it have an issue with. i try not to take out my anger at the paradox management on the devs or the artists, I know the games' current state isn't their fault.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been trying to render that twitter image into some level of quality that will let me read the patch notes, so far, no luck. I guess they thought of that.

View attachment 642178

If you had the original, you might be able to do something with it.. as it stands facebook and twitter both compress images considerably.

That being said, everyone on Community did zoom in and try to make out details before we posted it. :D

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: