• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #188: Necroid Characters & the Art process

Hello everyone!

My name is Fredrik Toll, and I am the Art Director for Stellaris. For this week's dev diary, we will have a look at how we develop our characters included in the Necroids Species Pack.

Finding ideas
Much like when we design the ships, we start out with reference gathering, finding anything that inspires us visually. We gather everything we can find that fits roughly within the theme. In this case it was everything from Venetian masks, Egyptian mummies, Mexican makeup from Día de Muertos, wraiths, ascended energy beings, vampires, dark elves, and of course skulls. We are looking to find as many different ideas as possible.
Once we feel we have enough, we look at what we have, discuss them and put them in clusters, things that relate to each other and might be an idea for a species. We want each species to be as different from each other as possible, as well as trying to fulfill as many different player fantasies as possible.

On of the things we do to add depth to the ideas is we try to come up with a backstory for each of the, to explain a bit more what they are. Does not have to be that detailed, just something to give some context, and adds details, and helps the artist when they paint them, drawing on their history.

A backstory might be something like:
“A species which inhabits a completely sealed suit which they can never leave. You can see through the transparent helmet that whatever they once were, they are a hollow scare version of that.”
“An alien that has kept itself alive through genetic manipulation, the cells no longer die, they just keep dividing. The body has grown uncontrolled and looks weird / mutated.”

Developing ideas
So once we have settled on the 15 or so idea’s we need, we start sketching out various ideas. For the initial ones we usually just do line art, sometimes rough shading, it depends on the artist. We always develop at least 3-4 different versions of each character idea before going ahead and developing it further.
Here are some of the early look dev for some species.

01_early_concept_01.png

02_early_concept_02.png

03_early_concept_03.png.png

After the sketching phase, we use much the same process for developing aliens as we do for ship designs. We start out with rough sketches for the ideas, to see which path we want to go on. Then we choose the one we think has the best potential, develop it a bit further, trying different sub variants / poses. Once we are happy with the idea and its structure, we usually do a color test, look at different ways we can shade them.

Here is an example of what all this looked like for the aforementioned alien which extended life through genetic manipulation.

Rough sketches
04_species_development_01_sketches.png

Idea Variants / Refinement
05_species_development_02_refinement.png

Rendering
06_species_development_03_rendering.png

Color variants
07_species_development_04_color.png

3D Characters
Even though the characters are done in 2D, and look like it in game. The way they are made is technically in a 3D software. To do this, the character needs to be split into layers. So before rendering all the details, we split them up into the components they need. Tentacles might be several layers, eye lids, arms etc, anything that moves needs to be on a separate layer. By splitting them up early, the animator can start setting them up with the rough version. While the 2D Artist continues his work on the details. This also enables us to catch any issues with the character earlier.

Character texture
split_character.PNG

Character in 3D in perspective view
3d_character.PNG

Example of what the character looks like in Maya, all set up and rigged.

So once the color test, and layer split is done, we can finally move on to the final render. This is where most of the work comes in, making it feel more 3 dimensional, making sure the materials look realistic.

08_species_development_05_final.png

--------

That is all for this week. Next week we'll be posting the patch notes that you may have seen on our social media.

Keep an eye on our social media channels where we will be posting some more of the portraits.

• 112Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
Gee, its a good thing you actually read the DD, clicked on the twitter link that said patch notes, and noticed the MASSIVE amount of stuff that will be in them next week..........
First, i didnt waste time reading this dd.
Second, that picture means absolutely nothing and if you believe otherwise you are incredibly naiive or just blind. In 2 years we had massive patchnotes, yet everytime the major problems werent fixed.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
This is nice to see something form the Art Director, but what about gameplay?

When we will see solution to the unemployment problem in the game for authoritarian empiers? Isn't it obvoius that species with the authoritarian trait, should have the easiest way to force unemployed pops to take available jobs within their empire without waiting for migration or without doing it manually via thousands of clicks?

When players, who like to play wide will see tool called e.g. 'the planet designer' similar to the ship designer, which could help them to set up and implement planet building templates???

• 3Like
Reactions:
Gee, its a good thing you actually read the DD, clicked on the twitter link that said patch notes, and noticed the MASSIVE amount of stuff that will be in them next week..........
Go ahead and copy the 2.6 patch notes into Word and tell me it's not at least as long as what we'll see next week. Size of the patch notes means nothing for the problems deeply rooted in the game's design.

• 1Like
Reactions:
*looks at the like-dislike ratio on the latest DD*

Paradox, take note of this.
Approximately half of the people who are dedicated enough to this game to get accounts and come to the forums here are pissed enough to hate you talking about art.

Maybe, instead of shilling the latest DLC, you should be talking about the bugs you'll be fixing? I mean, if you have the patch notes, that should be easy, right?

Reactions:
So you design them with legs or without legs?

We design them without legs. Would love to go full body for characters, but since that would require extra effort that would not make it in, we prefer to put the effort where it shows.

• 4Like
Reactions:
The very long patch notes list is letting me be fairly optimist about some AI improvement, since all those printed sheets should cover more than the new mechanics introduced with the species pack.

But I'd also really like to see more of those species portraits, I presonally appreciate to see something like a vampire or at least something similar to a Stargate's Wraith. I never mind more portraits and species for the game universe, but I very rarely play non humanoids.

Last edited:
  • 6Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I really do enjoy this type of insight into the art dev process. Just really bad timing. My apologies to the art team for the really crappy position Paradox leadership has put you in by having this great content be so poorly timed.

To not even have any acknowledgement at the end of these DDs is just so frustrating. Something as simple as "We know there are other topics you are interested about. We hear you and we plan to share details in the next couple weeks" would have already helped. But no, Paradox throws their art team as cannon fodder so they don't have to address the bigger issues.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Are there going to be portraits that look like there is something sticking out that shouldn't (I'm thinking zombies with protruding bones but in a more general way, like a visible internal organ or something)?

If they are truly alien, how could you tell if something was meant to be internal?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wish I could do two reactions; a positive to the art team for providing insight into their interesting creative process that tries to account for a diverse fanbase, and a negative to whoever's been putting off years of much requested QoL changes and fixes for another flavour pack

• 2Like
Reactions:
Some very nice design previews - looking forward to seeing the final ones. Some of these would make some nice and poetic Fallen Empire portraits - not only is their empire decrepit and decaying, but their bodies too...

• 3Like
Reactions:
If they are truly alien, how could you tell if something was meant to be internal?
If they're sufficiently un-alien to look like they're made of meat, even really unhealthy meat, they're going to have some kind of body-envelope layer, be it skin, exoskeleton, whatever.

Reactions:
Well, you can see the pages of the patchnotes on the twitter. The patchnotes are really long, like 5 pages long, which means, either a lot of new game features, or bug fixes. New civics and origins shouldn't take up too much patch note space, I think.
They did not talk much about fancy new game mechanics, and the changes to modding has been good, but not overwhelming. So, I am optimistic for a large amount of bug fixes, and optimizations for the next update.

Honestly i wish i had your confidence but they said that they don't want to talk about "big features" and that they weren't going to be released with necroids. 5 pages looks just bugfixes for me not improvements but well, i may (and wish) be wrong.

Reactions:
The first regular weekly dev diaries we've had in a long time! I mean four in a row is impressive.

All on one single species pack. Wow.

Keep the substantive information coming, boys. Maybe next week we'll get to see a diseased crab claw.

• 11Haha
Reactions:
Dev diaries are supposed to be interesting to read.

The bug fixing process is... not interesting to read about, most of the time. When it is, it's usually because the bugs are weird and funky and have interesting (but bad) consequences.

I say this as a programmer who – in a professional context – finds fixing a bug more satisfying than implementing a new feature.

At this point the vast majority of players care about having a playable game. We are way past the point where art interests us. The game has a lot of cool art or events. But this does not matter when the game is broken in way too many areas.

Reactions:
5 pages looks just bugfixes for me
many of the game's current shortcomings are severe enough to qualify as bugs, so...
At this point the vast majority of players care about having a playable game. We are way past the point where art interests us.
Either they fix it, or they don't.

If they don't, writing a dev diary about fixing it is just handing everyone a stick to beat them with.

If they do, the dev diary was unnecessary, because the bugfix update proves they were doing something.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Is there a skeleton-like portrait in there? I have been wanting one.

EDIT: I just want to make Golden Bat, TBH.

Last edited:
Reactions: