• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #188: Necroid Characters & the Art process

Hello everyone!

My name is Fredrik Toll, and I am the Art Director for Stellaris. For this week's dev diary, we will have a look at how we develop our characters included in the Necroids Species Pack.

Finding ideas
Much like when we design the ships, we start out with reference gathering, finding anything that inspires us visually. We gather everything we can find that fits roughly within the theme. In this case it was everything from Venetian masks, Egyptian mummies, Mexican makeup from Día de Muertos, wraiths, ascended energy beings, vampires, dark elves, and of course skulls. We are looking to find as many different ideas as possible.
Once we feel we have enough, we look at what we have, discuss them and put them in clusters, things that relate to each other and might be an idea for a species. We want each species to be as different from each other as possible, as well as trying to fulfill as many different player fantasies as possible.

On of the things we do to add depth to the ideas is we try to come up with a backstory for each of the, to explain a bit more what they are. Does not have to be that detailed, just something to give some context, and adds details, and helps the artist when they paint them, drawing on their history.

A backstory might be something like:
“A species which inhabits a completely sealed suit which they can never leave. You can see through the transparent helmet that whatever they once were, they are a hollow scare version of that.”
“An alien that has kept itself alive through genetic manipulation, the cells no longer die, they just keep dividing. The body has grown uncontrolled and looks weird / mutated.”

Developing ideas
So once we have settled on the 15 or so idea’s we need, we start sketching out various ideas. For the initial ones we usually just do line art, sometimes rough shading, it depends on the artist. We always develop at least 3-4 different versions of each character idea before going ahead and developing it further.
Here are some of the early look dev for some species.

01_early_concept_01.png

02_early_concept_02.png

03_early_concept_03.png.png

After the sketching phase, we use much the same process for developing aliens as we do for ship designs. We start out with rough sketches for the ideas, to see which path we want to go on. Then we choose the one we think has the best potential, develop it a bit further, trying different sub variants / poses. Once we are happy with the idea and its structure, we usually do a color test, look at different ways we can shade them.

Here is an example of what all this looked like for the aforementioned alien which extended life through genetic manipulation.

Rough sketches
04_species_development_01_sketches.png

Idea Variants / Refinement
05_species_development_02_refinement.png

Rendering
06_species_development_03_rendering.png

Color variants
07_species_development_04_color.png

3D Characters
Even though the characters are done in 2D, and look like it in game. The way they are made is technically in a 3D software. To do this, the character needs to be split into layers. So before rendering all the details, we split them up into the components they need. Tentacles might be several layers, eye lids, arms etc, anything that moves needs to be on a separate layer. By splitting them up early, the animator can start setting them up with the rough version. While the 2D Artist continues his work on the details. This also enables us to catch any issues with the character earlier.

Character texture
split_character.PNG

Character in 3D in perspective view
3d_character.PNG

Example of what the character looks like in Maya, all set up and rigged.

So once the color test, and layer split is done, we can finally move on to the final render. This is where most of the work comes in, making it feel more 3 dimensional, making sure the materials look realistic.

08_species_development_05_final.png

--------

That is all for this week. Next week we'll be posting the patch notes that you may have seen on our social media.

Keep an eye on our social media channels where we will be posting some more of the portraits.

• 112Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
That is all for this week. Next week we'll be posting the patch notes that you may have seen on our social media.

Can we have them today and finish our suffering once and for all? :D

Any possibility of an update on the release date?

If patch notes come in a week, then the other must be when the patch is out. 22/10 patch notes, 29/10 latest possible release date :D

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Maybe the patch notes are that long because Corporate decided to force the devs to use a 40 position line feed.
Devs: But but that's insane
Corporate overlords: Patch notes will be great again! Size does matter!

Or the Dev is small? Or it are actually white post it notes? :)

Just joking, we will find out soon enough.

• 10Haha
Reactions:

Patch notes are not a DD per definition. I would rather see a status update about your current progress in fixing the AI, balance, UI and micromanagement. Why not talking about things you tried, you actually do or you plan. You could give us a living roadmap as other developers do. That would give us an expression about the current development progress. I also think the community should be more involved.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I find this kind of DD very interesting, it's nice to see the art processes! I simply don't expect the solution for the game problems in every single DD, especially art ones.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So the recent dev diaries have all been about art and looks. How about you adress the issues that plague the game since 2.2 and is constantly being discussed about?

Crisis, Micromanagement, AI, automation, fleet pathing?

I get it, the visuals look cool and all. And I would really like to be able to enjoy the game. But I can't because your programmers refuse to fix the game. I feel truly sorry for the art team.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello everyone!

My name is Fredrik Toll, and I am the Art Director for Stellaris. For this week's dev diary, we will have a look at how we develop our characters included in the Necroids Species Pack.

So you design them with legs or without legs?

• 17Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
There's some really awesome designs. I admit, I was kinda lost in the whole "undead" species theme from a fantasy perspective and how it'd be made, all the jokes of "necrons" and such as well ended up lost on me, but I love the concept of essentially being alive but at the same time not through technology. A shell of their former self as a species. You can create some very interesting stories to that and really go to some extreme sides for their outlooks on "life", whether it's worth preserving at all cost around them or completely growing numb to death itself and its horrors.

I really like the 3 first sketch examples, each one really shows something very different and truly alien. From the lifesupport jar that presents the horrors of that species right before you. The enclosed suit that leaves a sense of mystery and wonder, as well as sort of a form of... higher divinity? Then the last one which I really like, where the semblance of that species is so far long gone in their perversion to stave off death that they use holographic projections of who they once were or should've been to present them self, which in itself also forms a kind of mystery and divinity to them. Ofcourse you can come up with all kind of stories and reason for why and how they chose these paths!

Either way, I definitely look forward to Necroids! I initially didn't as undead or necrons has never taken up my interest, but this is kinda different form of undead where they're technically still alive as technology permits them but in someway it's diverged them from anything simply natural. It adds another layer of "alien" which some portraits did but not a whole category for them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hoping we get a bat-themed vampire humanoid with big wings and bat ears.

• 4Love
  • 3Like
Reactions:
So the recent dev diaries have all been about art and looks. How about you adress the issues that plague the game since 2.2 and is constantly being discussed about?
Dev diaries are supposed to be interesting to read.

The bug fixing process is... not interesting to read about, most of the time. When it is, it's usually because the bugs are weird and funky and have interesting (but bad) consequences.

I say this as a programmer who – in a professional context – finds fixing a bug more satisfying than implementing a new feature.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are there going to be portraits that look like there is something sticking out that shouldn't (I'm thinking zombies with protruding bones but in a more general way, like a visible internal organ or something)?

Without spoiling anything, the animations for these portraits are pretty cool.. I'm fairly biased though :D

• 3Like
Reactions: