• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #185: Announcing Necroids

Hello everyone!

Today we bring you some exciting news about our upcoming Species Pack! We’re happy to announce that our next species pack will be themed around death and should allow you to live death to the fullest! Check out the trailer below:

Necroids will feature:
  • 15+1 new portraits (the +1 being machine)
  • 1 new Ship Set
  • 1 new City Set
  • 1 new Room background
  • 1 new Origin
  • 3 new Civics
  • 1 new pre-scripted Empire
  • 1 new Advisor Voice
We wanted to add ships that had a more sinister or evil appearance, and I’m very happy to say we’ve made something really great. We’ll go into more detail about the ships, and give you a peek into the art process, in a future dev diary.

True to the theme, we wanted the portraits to revolve around death, but not look outright undead or decaying. We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death. Similar to the ships, we will be doing a dev diary in the future to give you a peek into the art process, and also reveal all the new portraits. Stay tuned!

Regarding the other features, we have already shown you some of them, such as the Death Cult Civic and the Memorialist Civic. The remaining features will be revealed over the next couple of weeks, and maybe you'll even get to learn about Jeff. But for now, let’s pass the Mishar Cabal into our memories.

---

General Donnten threw her bloodied axe next to Ostiir’s severed head. The others in the Leadership Council would remember this the next time they considered interrupting her in the Mishar Althing.

She pushed past the acolytes that were coming to deal with the corpse. They were annoyed - the rites were always harder if the head was removed - but they would just have to stitch it back together.

Smiling to herself, she left the arena. At least Ostiir would be an obedient little soldier now.

1600944622276.png

Last edited:
  • 138Like
  • 51Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
For the AI, you should try Glavius or Starnet mods, who proves it's possible to make the AI decently able to play the game, like before, when a little work is put into.
But mods can't fix everything, like someone said in another thread, the crisis AI is crippled by lots of "TO-DO" codes lines, crisis worked like pre 1.9 and I don't understand how it is possible they don't find the time (don't bother) to make it in 2 years...

• 1Like
Reactions:
For the AI, you should try Glavius or Starnet mods, who proves it's possible to make the AI decently able to play the game, like before, when a little work is put into.
But mods can't fix everything, like someone said in another thread, the crisis AI is crippled by lots of "TO-DO" codes lines, crisis worked like pre 1.9 and I don't understand how it is possible they don't find the time (don't bother) to make it in 2 years...

I know about the mod, but its good to know about 1.9, I am trying to figure out which is the most stable version for future gameplay as I am sorry to say I do not have any faith the present game state will improve anymore. Ignoring my present... and wavering (though still in place) abstinence from gaming, I used to buy every DLC on launch because I had faith that Paradox would eventually fix the game's features so long as I helped them make the game profitable. Too much time has passed for that to be a realistic proposition, to use a terrible analogy, you could believe the Wunderwaffe might save 1944 Germany from defeat, but not by 1945.

Perhaps I am utterly wrong, and the reason for the team's silence is that they are working on a huge patch that will fix all the problems if we only just hang on, but wouldn't they have communicated this by now if it were the case? The commitments I see at the moment are very vague, and vagueness is generally used by those who don't have any specifics. I am under no illusions that not buying DLC will improve the game, it will most likely only accelerate the end of development if enough did so, but I am of a mind to cut my losses as it were and find the version of Stellaris that I consider most stable for the long term. Mods just aren't enough for me.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Copy paste from Warhammer 40K Necrons, à civ of undead robots. If you want more details of this try Wiki.
Except they don't look robotic and don't look like necrons.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They look like the original organic Necrons, death cult are basicly necrontyrs sacrificing themselves to the C'tans.
One portrait of the 15 in the pack are vaguely similar. And both kind of look like Protos or even greys, which are far older designs. If I dig a bit I can probably find two dozen older designs that are similar and predate the reveal of the biological necrotyr.

Reactions:
If only synth ascension wont make pops much more materialists, and much less spiritualists someone could RP said trademark machine necroids :v
But its wont gonna happen, because in Stellaris universe noone who believe in anything would like to be a machine, and being a machine means that you stopped believing (even in gods that made you literally immortal, replacing your body).

This just makes me want Spiritualist Robots that believe in Silicon Heaven even more.

After all, the little calculators must go somewhere!

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I see you contradicted yourself. You state they're not supposed to be undead, but still say they are undead.

-Quote from the Dev Diary: "We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death."
-Quote from the official Paradox Store: "Necroids, an intelligent undead species that live death to the fullest"
... And with stuff like "reanimated armies..."

Hmmmm, I wonder, wich is it?

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I see you contradicted yourself. You state they're not supposed to be undead, but still say they are undead.

-Quote from the Dev Diary: "We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death."
-Quote from the official Paradox Store: "Necroids, an intelligent undead species that live death to the fullest"
... And with stuff like "reanimated armies..."

Hmmmm, I wonder, wich is it?
it's less of they are a society of dead things and more of a "our society uses black magic to reanimate the corpses of people who have died"

Boy, are you ever in for a shock when you find out that the Humanoids pack was not full of wholly original designs that were birthed from Johan's Id like Athena from the brow of Zeus.

And in for even more of one when you find out that 90% of everything in Stellaris from the day it came out is a homage or pastiche of popular/respected sci-fi properties.

Witty.

I will admit that perhaps that may have been a little rage on my part, which has since subsided.

Feel a little embarrassed in hindsight not the kind of thing I usually write.

The only thing I'll stick to is that the game should be fixed or ended before they continue to demand cash.

However I doubt that is a controversial opinion.

Reactions:
For the first time ever I‘m seeing the DevDiaries getting more dislikes than likes. This is... astonishing. Will PDX even be able cope?

I am not entirely sure it is the first time. Species packs almost always get mixed reviews because they suffer from the stigma of being essentially quick buck instalments. While that is exactly what they are, they do put new things in the game so I do not resent them as such. What is new in this case is that things are starting to come to ahead; a lot of people, myself included, who could support changes to the game on the grounds that "once we get a fix for X the game will be better than its ever been" can't make that argument anymore because in two years it hasn't happened. I still think if the game was properly fixed it would be pretty good, but rather then fix things as they emerged, problems have accumulated to the point there is just no avoiding them.

As to how Paradox will cope; it depends. They could easily just go on ignoring this, they could try to repair to a minimal degree that will at least restore playability enough to rig the next DLC to it (meaning keep it static) or they could make a more concentrated effort to repair the game. Personally, I don't think they can ignore it anymore, minimalist fixes might let them rig other DLC's but in order for the game to go on to 3.X, I do think it is in their interests to eventually fix it properly. My guess, is that they will ignore it for now, try to make minimal repairs for the remaining 2X content, and then either choose between making an effort or at least the appearance of an effort of major patching for 3.X or gradually discontinue development (perhaps for Stellaris 2, who knows).

Talking to us would be a start, but I can see why they'd be queasy about doing that if they have nothing to tell us.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
For the first time ever I‘m seeing the DevDiaries getting more dislikes than likes. This is... astonishing. Will PDX even be able cope?
They have been trough worse, when ftl reworks announced iirc the dislike is reaching almost a thousand...can't really remember, since the website reworked the past dislike/likes is deleted though. And the negative review so overwhelming its make stellaris become mostly positive in steam store(plus the chinese comment incident), now its back to very positive.

• 1Like
Reactions:
it's less of they are a society of dead things and more of a "our society uses black magic to reanimate the corpses of people who have died"
That's not very sci-fi

Reactions:
I am not entirely sure it is the first time. Species packs almost always get mixed reviews because they suffer from the stigma of being essentially quick buck instalments. While that is exactly what they are, they do put new things in the game so I do not resent them as such. What is new in this case is that things are starting to come to ahead; a lot of people, myself included, who could support changes to the game on the grounds that "once we get a fix for X the game will be better than its ever been" can't make that argument anymore because in two years it hasn't happened. I still think if the game was properly fixed it would be pretty good, but rather then fix things as they emerged, problems have accumulated to the point there is just no avoiding them.

As to how Paradox will cope; it depends. They could easily just go on ignoring this, they could try to repair to a minimal degree that will at least restore playability enough to rig the next DLC to it (meaning keep it static) or they could make a more concentrated effort to repair the game. Personally, I don't think they can ignore it anymore, minimalist fixes might let them rig other DLC's but in order for the game to go on to 3.X, I do think it is in their interests to eventually fix it properly. My guess, is that they will ignore it for now, try to make minimal repairs for the remaining 2X content, and then either choose between making an effort or at least the appearance of an effort of major patching for 3.X or gradually discontinue development (perhaps for Stellaris 2, who knows).

Talking to us would be a start, but I can see why they'd be queasy about doing that if they have nothing to tell us.

For sure they can ignore the all thing, quarantine threads exist for a reason. Maybe somewhat justify like FTL changes or sector, but the one for performance is just a middle finger for players, pretexting the uncivilian behavior of a few to discard a legitimate criticism. Even if the topic is less taboo today.
I wouldn't be surprised if the current matter is treated the same way, but I hope to be wrong, sincerely.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For sure they can ignore the all thing, quarantine threads exist for a reason. Maybe somehow justify like FTL changes or sector, but the one for performance is just a middle finger for players, pretexting the uncivilian behavior of a few to discard a legitimate criticism. Even if the topic is less taboo today.
I wouldn't be surprised if the current matter is treated the same way, but I hope to be wrong, sincerely.

My biggest concern is that they've realized they can't really do anything about it with the resources they have available and have thus delayed dealing with it to an indefinite period (in other words, occasional fixes, vague promises of more, but not much in the way of solutions) I don't think they are being purposely mean, but I agree that the end result is the same; it is rather insulting to be expected to pay for new content when the existing content does not work.

Well, while I play on downgraded versions of the game, I am in no hurry to get new content until I am satisfied the live version works.

Reactions: