• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #185: Announcing Necroids

Hello everyone!

Today we bring you some exciting news about our upcoming Species Pack! We’re happy to announce that our next species pack will be themed around death and should allow you to live death to the fullest! Check out the trailer below:

Necroids will feature:
  • 15+1 new portraits (the +1 being machine)
  • 1 new Ship Set
  • 1 new City Set
  • 1 new Room background
  • 1 new Origin
  • 3 new Civics
  • 1 new pre-scripted Empire
  • 1 new Advisor Voice
We wanted to add ships that had a more sinister or evil appearance, and I’m very happy to say we’ve made something really great. We’ll go into more detail about the ships, and give you a peek into the art process, in a future dev diary.

True to the theme, we wanted the portraits to revolve around death, but not look outright undead or decaying. We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death. Similar to the ships, we will be doing a dev diary in the future to give you a peek into the art process, and also reveal all the new portraits. Stay tuned!

Regarding the other features, we have already shown you some of them, such as the Death Cult Civic and the Memorialist Civic. The remaining features will be revealed over the next couple of weeks, and maybe you'll even get to learn about Jeff. But for now, let’s pass the Mishar Cabal into our memories.

---

General Donnten threw her bloodied axe next to Ostiir’s severed head. The others in the Leadership Council would remember this the next time they considered interrupting her in the Mishar Althing.

She pushed past the acolytes that were coming to deal with the corpse. They were annoyed - the rites were always harder if the head was removed - but they would just have to stitch it back together.

Smiling to herself, she left the arena. At least Ostiir would be an obedient little soldier now.

1600944622276.png

Last edited:
  • 138Like
  • 51Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I'm as salty about the state of the game as you are, but I'm not going near any place that uses an authoritarian symbol in it's advertising. Sounds like a standard echo chamber if you ask me.
I'll prefer staying here where I can have a respectful discussion with people who disagree with me.

Not an authoritarian symbol. Don't water down terminology, or it will lose all meaning. Plus, pretty sure the devs have made that exact same joke when the game was first coming out.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
In the last days I made few posts about the current state of Stellaris and discussed with other people that had same thoughts. I created a discord group, posted the link here and a Paradox employee joined asking what was going on

1601206694926.png

He wants to address our concerns about the current state of the game and to communicate them to devs/management. He asked me to get as many people as I can in the discord group to discuss about what are the top priority issues for us.

1601206893530.png

How do you know that you're not being trolled? Surely they would have made a comment within this thread if they truly were an employee interested in feedback - being the "official forums" and all..

• 3Like
Reactions:
How do you know that you're not being trolled? Surely they would have made a comment within this thread if they truly were an employee interested in feedback - being the "official forums" and all..

We verified, he is community manager for stellaris here is the proof (this is official stellaris discord channel)
1601223085624.png

Also you can check his name on stellaris forum

Reactions:
We verified, he is community manager for stellaris here is the proof (this is official stellaris discord channel)
View attachment 632271
Also you can check his name on stellaris forum

Ah, that's good news then! I hope something positive can finally come out of it. I stopped visiting the forum as much for quite from time as they never seemed bothered with my previous threads where I went in to detail about the extremely poor war AI, I abandoned those games before the crisis even appeared due to it and only recently a friend wanted to try a MP game.

Reactions:
Sorry to go off topic here from complaining about the game (It's going to get you nowhere to do it here as Paradox are not responding so it's been a waste of time) but I don't understand this spices pack. Is it meant to be the undead? If so why? That does not sound very sci fi.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
necroids are awesome, but.... WHEN ROBOTS SHIPS AND CITIES ?
I use Reptile stuff since it looks similar to robot stuff (blocky and kind-of retro style tech),

I use Reptile stuff since it looks similar to robot stuff (blocky and kind-of retro style tech),

As Fan of the early 2000s Battlestar Galactica TV-Show, the best fitting shipset is the humanoid one for me. This set looks kind of familiar to the style the Cylons have. :)

(The construction ship looks very like a Cylon fighter from the series for example)

• 1Like
Reactions:
If only synth ascension wont make pops much more materialists, and much less spiritualists someone could RP said trademark machine necroids :v
But its wont gonna happen, because in Stellaris universe noone who believe in anything would like to be a machine, and being a machine means that you stopped believing (even in gods that made you literally immortal, replacing your body).

Reactions:
Oh god damned, yah, wow, maybe no one said word for word what i called as examples, and i never said that theese exact words were used here, i just sayed that most complaining posts here are close to such phrases... hell ... and forgive me, if my text is bit .... difficult to understand, but english isn't my main language, so maybe i make some mistakes in grammar and so on, but still what i mean is the same, caml down and write a bit more polite... how you guys "discuss" here ... come on, look through it like you where devs and than say how you would react to what is written here, thats al what i wantet to say...
So whats wrong with this, its my opinion, what is the reason why you now flame me like the devs and pdx, just becaue you're enrage and right in everything you do and I'm an Idiot because I'm not raged like you?

Well, and if you now have a problem with me, than report me, or use the next dev diary to tell pdx that I was evil to you because i sayd my opinion, maybe this will help a lot...

It's not about you, stop thinking you're the center of this tread. Nobody here insult the devs, nobody show them real disrespect, end of the story. Maybe you play the white knight to grab some attention, great, you succeed, you got it.

Now, try to really understand why there is so much rage and salt on this topic. People who get the game from release, spend hundreds of euros on it just see their game decaying months after months. They search solutions, propose them, complain... So little attention from the devs, and things get worse and worse on this matter. This year (OK there was covid, but com on...) total radio silence, no fix, and suddenly, 3 DD where the only goal is to sell a cosmetic (and quite empty) DLC...

People anger come from a really, really bad communication from Pdx. Nobody insult the devs or the art team, they rage against this desastrous politic of comm and marketing, and they are right to be. Sometimes, when someone don't want to listen, you have to scream a bit. With respect, what you seem to not understand, proud white knight

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't understand are those zombies? Or are civs with specific cults like Ancient Egypt?
They are supposed to look like dying or dead species but not necessarily dead. And the civics are centered around death in general not just cults.

Copy paste from Warhammer 40K Necrons, à civ of undead robots. If you want more details of this try Wiki.
How is it a copy of Necrons? They aren’t dead and the civics they have shown us so far aren’t anything to do with Necrons. Synthetic ascension path is the closest thing to a copy of Necrons.

Reactions:
What the have been shown is very close to the original Necrontyr.
I searched up Necrontyr appearance and this is one of the first results and it doesn’t really look similar on my eyes (unless you mean socially)

1601286440676.png

• 1Haha
Reactions:
How is it a copy of Necrons? They aren’t dead and the civics they have shown us so far aren’t anything to do with Necrons. Synthetic ascension path is the closest thing to a copy of Necrons.

As said above, original organics necrontyrs could be seen as a death cult, who choose an synth asencsion path.
And the visuals of this new species are a clear copy of Necrons style. You can say tribute, the limit between tribute and copy is very slim...

Edit: your visual Cleary match the one Pdx use for their DLC, so, it's up to you to see this as a totally original product, for me it's just a copy paste, and not issue with this, after all, we already have tyrannids, chaos gods, warp...

Reactions:
Sorry to go off topic here from complaining about the game (It's going to get you nowhere to do it here as Paradox are not responding so it's been a waste of time) but I don't understand this spices pack. Is it meant to be the undead? If so why? That does not sound very sci fi.

While I agree with many of the complaints, I would argue that you are actually on topic rather off-topic.

This species pack is not what I expected. As someone here said, something fishy would have made more sense. The ships look pretty cool, but the undead concept isn't my cup of tea as far as a SF game is concerned, though that is a matter of personal taste. I probably wouldn't get it even I was currently playing or not very much concerned with the state game argued by others. The art looks excellent as always, but I am concerned that in terms of gameplay the species sets so far haven't fully delivered on the promise of new ways to play the game. Frankly, I'd prefer to play vanilla species types as I have many more customization options.

Megacorps and Hive Minds are virtually unsupported with the latter particularly bland, while Droids and Rock people though somewhat better are not sufficiently different from normal species or each other to my satisfaction. I don't think its really a problem with the species packs themselves, but of the game's inability to truly give life to unique attributes and playstyles in its current state. The species packs however also are problematic in the sense they are essentially launched on a fire and forget basis. Continued development of those, even on the slightest and cheapest possible level, as some have said, would go a long way towards improvement. At their current states, they are too similar to be a unique game experience and too different to offer an effective/stable/balanced one.

As to the general line of disappointment expressed by most respondents to this thread, I agree. Federation was probably the best DLC I've seen come through the pipework based on its own merits, but the game's core state is wearing very thin in ways others have described much better then I can. The more new mechanics are introduced, the more glaring the ones which don't work become; such as the contrast between features and functionality. I remember a time when revolts where a serious threat despite minimal internal features. Presently, more internal political functions have been added, but I haven't had a revolt occur in two years of gameplay. Diplomacy went from railroaded ethics and rivalry alignments to borderline love potion like diplomatic arm-wrestling. Sectors worked better too.

But I do agree that the AI is the biggest problem, it just doesn't know what to do with all these features. You've got to feel sorry for the poor guy, it's probably borderline schizophrenic by now. Every year it is asked to relate to the game in a completely new way, and every few months it is expected to deal with a whole bunch of new mechanics on top of everything else and how these play off each other. The AI was never brilliant, but pre around 2.0 it did beat me on occasion when I was playing on hard, spawned in a difficult position, or just underestimated him. Until recently I played pacifist because I don't have the heart to humiliate it further.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: