• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #185: Announcing Necroids

Hello everyone!

Today we bring you some exciting news about our upcoming Species Pack! We’re happy to announce that our next species pack will be themed around death and should allow you to live death to the fullest! Check out the trailer below:

Necroids will feature:
  • 15+1 new portraits (the +1 being machine)
  • 1 new Ship Set
  • 1 new City Set
  • 1 new Room background
  • 1 new Origin
  • 3 new Civics
  • 1 new pre-scripted Empire
  • 1 new Advisor Voice
We wanted to add ships that had a more sinister or evil appearance, and I’m very happy to say we’ve made something really great. We’ll go into more detail about the ships, and give you a peek into the art process, in a future dev diary.

True to the theme, we wanted the portraits to revolve around death, but not look outright undead or decaying. We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death. Similar to the ships, we will be doing a dev diary in the future to give you a peek into the art process, and also reveal all the new portraits. Stay tuned!

Regarding the other features, we have already shown you some of them, such as the Death Cult Civic and the Memorialist Civic. The remaining features will be revealed over the next couple of weeks, and maybe you'll even get to learn about Jeff. But for now, let’s pass the Mishar Cabal into our memories.

---

General Donnten threw her bloodied axe next to Ostiir’s severed head. The others in the Leadership Council would remember this the next time they considered interrupting her in the Mishar Althing.

She pushed past the acolytes that were coming to deal with the corpse. They were annoyed - the rites were always harder if the head was removed - but they would just have to stitch it back together.

Smiling to herself, she left the arena. At least Ostiir would be an obedient little soldier now.

1600944622276.png

Last edited:
  • 138Like
  • 51Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I don't see any new trait, so I guess they work exactly the same as any ordinary empire.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Fourth. ALSO REAMIMATED ARMIES!!!! I CAN HAVE MY UNDEAD ARMY! THANK YOU PARADOX!!!! NOW, WHEN CAN I PRE ORDER THIS?

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This looks cool! I got a question: what's the point in buyng this DLC, if in a war based game the military/crysis AI doesn't work?
I'll have so much fun unleashing my undead fleet on brain dead unbiddens!

Last edited:
  • 14Like
Reactions:
But will there be a death metal song for the soundtrack?

• 21Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Ok, should have expected something like this after the annoucement of the newest two origins. But right after the species pack teaser on twitter i have bet it would be aquatics ;). Well done anyways, looks cool!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
hopefully since this is a portrait pack the devs will have time to work on fixing the game while the art team is arting

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Will the necroids have special play style like lithoids?
I wonder if that has something to do with the Origin, you can have part of your populace as the undead (like with that army civic), but an Empire centered around it could be possible too, since the trailer talked about thriving where others wouldn't, and perishing where others would. Maybe Gaia worlds are toxic to them?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will this patch be improving upon AI for both economy and warfare, as well as rehabilitating some features not used correctly, such as the AI using different fleet stances, terraforming and using planetary decisions such as thrall worlds and Ecumenopolis? Any news on crisis AI?

• 6Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Cool new shiny thing, the game is still micromanagement hell, generic AI is still pathetic, sector AI is still broken, crisis AI is still broken, performance is still worse than it was 2 years ago, AI still can't into war, ships still clump up in the ball in combat, ugh, why am I even listing this - just read the forum.

• 13Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Ah, we're finally getting a new shipset and I just can't feel excited over it.

hopefully since this is a portriat pack the devs will have time to work on fixing the game while the art team is arting

One can only hope, but at this point, I doubt even the Necrons could reanimate this game's AI.

• 23Haha
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Ah, we're finally getting a new shipset and I just can't feel excited over it.

One can only hope, but at this point, I doubt even the Necrons could reanimate this game's AI.
then how come some random modders who can only access part of the code can do it?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hello everyone!

Today we bring you some exciting news about our upcoming Species Pack! We’re happy to announce that our next species pack will be themed around death and should allow you to live death to the fullest! Check out the trailer below:

Necroids will feature:
  • 15+1 new portraits (the +1 being machine)
  • 1 new Ship Set
  • 1 new City Set
  • 1 new Room background
  • 1 new Origin
  • 3 new Civics
  • 1 new pre-scripted Empire
  • 1 new Advisor Voice
We wanted to add ships that had a more sinister or evil appearance, and I’m very happy to say we’ve made something really great. We’ll go into more detail about the ships, and give you a peek into the art process, in a future dev diary.

True to the theme, we wanted the portraits to revolve around death, but not look outright undead or decaying. We never intended the Necroids to be specifically undead, but rather themed around death. Similar to the ships, we will be doing a dev diary in the future to give you a peek into the art process, and also reveal all the new portraits. Stay tuned!

Regarding the other features, we have already shown you some of them, such as the Death Cult Civic and the Memorialist Civic. The remaining features will be revealed over the next couple of weeks, and maybe you'll even get to learn about Jeff. But for now, let’s pass the Mishar Cabal into our memories.

---

General Donnten threw her bloodied axe next to Ostiir’s severed head. The others in the Leadership Council would remember this the next time they considered interrupting her in the Mishar Althing.

She pushed past the acolytes that were coming to deal with the corpse. They were annoyed - the rites were always harder if the head was removed - but they would just have to stitch it back together.

Smiling to herself, she left the arena. At least Ostiir would be an obedient little soldier now.

View attachment 631139
SPACE UNDEAD?!