• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #18 - Fleet Combat

Good news everyone!

Today’s Dev Diary will be about Fleet Combat and the different things affecting it. Like always it is important for you to remember that things are subject to change.

In Stellaris we have a number of different types of weapons that the player may choose to equip his/her ships with. All weapons can be grouped into either energy, projectiles (kinetic), missiles, point-defenses and strike craft. Their individual effects and stats vary somewhat, so let’s bring up a few examples. One type of energy-weapon is the laser, using focused beams to penetrate the armor of a target dealing a medium amount of damage. Mass Drivers and Autocannons are both projectile-weapons with high damage output and fast attack-speed, but quite low armor-penetration. This makes them ideal for chewing through shields and unarmored ships quickly, but are far worse against heavily armored targets. Missiles weapons are space-to-space missiles armed with nuclear warheads. Missiles have excellent range, but they are vulnerable to interception by point-defense systems. There’s of course far more weapons in the game than these mentioned, but it should give you a notion of what to expect.

Strike crafts are different from the other weapon types since they are actually smaller ships that leave their mothership. Cruisers and Battleships can in some cases have a Hangar weapon slot available, in which you may place a type of strike craft. Currently, we have two types of craft; fighters and bombers. Fighters will fire upon ships, missiles and other strike craft. Bombers however may not fire on other strike craft or missiles, but they will do more damage than fighters against capital ships. Point-defense weapons can detect incoming missiles and strike-crafts and shoot them down. These weapons may also damage hostile ships, if they are close enough, but will do significantly less damage against those.

1.jpg

When it comes to defenses, you may increase the durability of your fleet in combat by placing armor and shield components in the utility slots on your ships. Armor components will reduce the incoming damage and can’t be depleted during combat. Shields work much more like an extra health bar to your ships and will be depleted if they take too much damage. Shields will automatically regenerate after combat, unless you have certain components that allow your shields to regenerate during combat. Both shields and armor can have their efficiency reduced if the enemy uses armor and/or shield penetrating weapons.

The different components you place on your ships will also affect certain other key combat values:… Hull points is a value corresponding to the “hit points” or health of your ship. Evasion affects the chance for your ship to evade a weapon firing at it. You may also affect the overall stats (values) of your fleet by assigning an Admiral to it. The stats of your fleet will both be affected by the skill and the traits of your leader. But be aware that traits will not always have a positive effect. I would recommend everyone to always have good admirals assigned to their military fleets since they can really improve your stats, like +20% fire rate and +10% evasion.

Once the combat has begun, you very few options to control what happens, much like it works in our other grand strategy games. For this reason it is really important not to engage in a battle that you are not ready for. As a fallback, it is possible to order a full retreat through the “Emergency FTL Jump” option, this will basically cause your fleet to attempt to jump to the closest system. However, during the windup for the EFTL jump your ships will not be able fire back at the hostile ships, so you put yourself in an exposed situation. Depending on what type of fleet you have, you might want them to always engage in combat or always try to avoid it; for this purpose we have different fleet stances. The evasive stance will try to avoid combat and the fleet will leave a system if a hostile arrives. Civilian fleets have this stance on per default. Aggressive stance will actively make your fleet attempt to attack any hostile that enters the same system as them. Passive stance will, like the name suggest, make your fleet only engage in combat when enemies are within weapon range.

2.jpg

The combat might be off-hand, but you can still indirectly affect how each individual ship will behave. When you design your ship you may specify what combat computer to use on the ship. These computers range from making your ship super aggressive, and basically charge the enemy, or be really defensive and keep formation. At the start of the game only the default combat computer is available, but more are unlocked through normal research or reverse engineering.

It is very possible that your fleet might end up in combat with multiple fleets. This means that you can have a combat with three different empires that are all hostile to each other. To help you keep track of everything that happens we have a combat view, which will appear as soon as a combat is initiated. This view will list you (and any other friendlies or neutrals) on the left side and every hostile on the right side. The combat view is currently being reworked, so you will get to see that interface at a later date, but the idea is to provide you with crucial feedback on how effective your weapons and defenses are.

Once the battle is over, you may want to investigate any debris left from destroyed vessels. If you weren’t the one being wiped out, perhaps you can salvage something?

3.jpg

Sadly, neither the “Picard Maneuver” nor the “Crazy Ivan” are currently possible in the game, but who knows what the future might hold…

Stellaris Dev Diary #19 - Diplomacy & Trade

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Metztli: "Paradoxian fans will probably hate me but why the player should have so little "power" during the combat phase ? Why not Stellaris be the first Paradox game that will offer a Total War style of combat or something simillar or anything more involving than just watch and chose to flee or not ?"

Well, TW might be a bit over the top, but maybe some buttons ready to press along the lines of "Breakthrough Attack", "Defence Formation", "Skirmish Tactics" were you can designate the basic tactic that your fleet should follow during specific parts of the battles could have been nice.

Edit: I deleted the first part: Where have I messed up with the formating?

Last edited:
Reactions:
How about ramming and 'ships' that physically attack other ships. Someone said space krakken, that kind of thing.

No torpedoes? I mean... ;_;
What's the diffrence between a missile and a torpedo?

Reactions:
The evasive stance will try to avoid combat and the fleet will leave a system if a hostile arrives.

I do hope it's not quite as naive as that; I wouldn't want my non-combat fleets to all leave a relatively safe system full of war fleets just because a couple of hostile ships showed up in system to do some scouting.

Reactions:
Does combat include excessive dice rolling like in EU4? I really hope it does not.
"Hey look, just lost the whole war, because my general rolled 5 zeroes in a row!"

You rarely lose the war, just because of few bad rolls. You should aim, to be in position where no bad rolls can actually threaten you.

Reactions:
I do hope it's not quite as naive as that; I wouldn't want my non-combat fleets to all leave a relatively safe system full of war fleets just because a couple of hostile ships showed up in system to do some scouting.

I agree it should be based on relative strength (estimated or actual) or whether the ships are actually behaving threateningly towards you.

Reactions:
btw can i just say that i LOVE the ship designs in the 3 screenshots?

and another question to the Devs: you said we can be attacked by mutliple fleets at ones, we know that fleets them selves have a command limit. but is there something in place (like attrition in EU4) to make sure that we dont get super stacks of multiple fleets?

From what's written here it does seem a little pedestrian, with battles turning out more or less as spreadsheet calculations. This being a Paradox grand strategy game you'd think there's ample opportunity for a wide range of combat mechanics involving distance, formations, maneuvers, fancy weapon behaviors, misleading the enemy, etc etc. The stuff you see in military sci-fi. Things that will let players make up stories about a battle that go beyond "we fought and our DPS proved greater than theirs".

Reactions:
Well, TW might be a bit over the top, but maybe some buttons ready to press along the lines of "Breakthrough Attack", "Defence Formation", "Skirmish Tactics" were you can designate the basic tactic that your fleet should follow during specific parts of the battles could have been nice.
That could be what the combat computers are for.

Reactions:
I'm guessing it's D minus zero, the zeroeth days of hostilities, under no circumstances engage the 'enemy'. Kind of what the humans should have done at the onset of Babylon5.

How about ramming and 'ships' that physically attack other ships. Someone said space krakken, that kind of thing.

What's the diffrence between a missile and a torpedo?
This might be what you're looking for...
These computers range from making your ship super aggressive, and basically charge the enemy
It does say basically however, and it might not mean charge as in dive in bow first and cleave them in two, but rather just a very offensive offense.

The evasive stance will try to avoid combat and the fleet will leave a system if a hostile arrives. Civilian fleets have this stance on per default. Aggressive stance will actively make your fleet attempt to attack any hostile that enters the same system as them. Passive stance will, like the name suggest, make your fleet only engage in combat when enemies are within weapon range.
Is there any version of evasive stance where they will rather return to you nearest planet, instead of leaving the system? It would be painful to have to manually tell your civilians to go back to your planets.

Reactions:
The combat might be off-hand, but you can still indirectly affect how each individual ship will behave. When you design your ship you may specify what combat computer to use on the ship. These computers range from making your ship super aggressive, and basically charge the enemy, or be really defensive and keep formation. At the start of the game only the default combat computer is available, but more are unlocked through normal research or reverse engineering.

I really like this idea! I especially like the mention of formation.

Does this mean it is possible for me to design a fleet like this?
  • Slow, weakly armored ships with massive firepower (aka artillery) in the back
  • Fast hunters in the front which should attack artillery
  • Medium ships protecting my artillery from the hunters
  • and so on

Does the player design strike craft or are they built using fixed rules (e.g. "fighter always use best beam weapon")? Are strike craft automatically replaced after battle, require repairs to be replaced or require new strike craft to be manufactured? Do strike craft on existing ships upgrade when new weapons are acquired?

Reactions:
Interesting screenshots. There seem to be differences between ships with traditional turrets, and ones where the gun is fired longitudinal to the ship.

Looking forward to play the game.

Reactions:
While it is common in space games to have armour protect again kinetic weapons, in terms of physics, it's a bit backwards. It would be very hard to make an armor-piercing laser since you basically have to vapourize the armor layer-by-layer and plasma from the previously-vapourized layers tends to get in the way. On the other hand, once kinetic speeds reach high enough, it would be very hard to armor a ship again kinetic strikes. The kinetic damage arrives all in one instant and molecular bonds aren't strong enough to deflect high-speed impacts. However, if a species has some influence over gravity, some sort of shield to deflect projectiles seems plausible.

Reactions:
Missiles weapons are space-to-space missiles armed with nuclear warheads. Missiles have excellent range, but they are vulnerable to interception by point-defense systems.

Just nuclear warheads? What about bomb-pumped lasers? How am I supposed to launch a proper Manticore Missile Massacre without them?

Reactions: