• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #178 - Federal improvements (UI and more!)

Hello everyone!

Today’s dev diary will show you some of the improvements we’ve made to federations for the upcoming free update!

Federation Voting
Since the release of Federations and the 2.6 update we’ve wanted to make some improvements to how voting in federations is handled. Most of the improvements are related to UI and better feedback, but there’s also been some changes to functionality.

You are now able to use Favors to increase the acceptance chance for your AI-controlled federation members.

1588237130927.png

You are now able to use Favors to increase the acceptance chance for federation law proposals.

We’ve also changed how AI acceptance works for federation laws, so that it is more transparent and more consistent with other features in the game. We look at the AI attitude a lot more now, and it will affect which laws the AI is attracted towards. For example, militaristic empires, or those with either Honorbound Warriors or Federation Builders personalities will be more likely to accept a higher fleet contribution law.

Generally speaking, the best way for you to pass new federation laws is to get the Federation Cohesion to 90 or above, and then suggest a new law change.

When it comes to suggesting changed, the AI will still not attempt to suggest changes very often, unless they are the federation president.

1588237158059.png

The AI will generally not want to increase Centralization unless Cohesion is 90 or higher. Cohesion also directly affects the acceptance chance by a factor of x0.25 (100 cohesion equals +25 acceptance).

1588237186199.png

The UI for voting on war declarations has received a face-lift. It’s now more clear which war goal is used, and you can see a summary of the target of the war, and which their allies are. This should hopefully make it easier for you to decide if you are in favor of the war or not.

1588237297716.png

Whenever a federation law has been voted on, you will now get a pop-up that clearly informs you on what the results of the vote were, and how your federation allies voted.

1588237321844.png

We’ve also improved the feedback you get whenever your federation unlocks a new level.

Joint Operations
Something we wanted to do, but couldn’t do for 2.6 due to lack of time, was to add some more flavor events to federations. We had some cool ideas for things we wanted to try, and we’re very happy that we’ve been able to add some events for the upcoming 2.7 update.

Joint Operations are events to which each member of a federation can contribute, and the types of events will depend on your federation type.

Research Co-operatives have the chance to engage in a joint archaeological dig across their region of federated space. Galactic Unions and Research Co-operatives alike may also find themselves dealing with strange new stellar phenomena at their federation capitals. Hegemonies will have the option of a grand project to celebrate cultural uniformity – and to see who’s still willing to tow the line. Military Alliances can partake in a joint training exercise, while Trade Leagues may seek to improve their collective worth through harmonized logistics.

In all cases, collaboration will bolster cohesion within your federation – however members may sometimes be tempted by individual gains, and further challenges may arise if the federation does not act as one.

1588237346692.png

The beginning of a joint operation for the Research Cooperative!

Origins
A small change we’ve made, albeit probably a welcomed one, is to make it far less likely for the leader of a Common Ground or Hegemony start to be blocked off by their federation members. It’s very likely that they will have at least one open hyperlane to an unexplored star system.

---

That’s it for this week! Next week we’ll be back with some more information regarding the upcoming free update!

Last edited:
  • 91Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
How significant are the rewards/outcome of those joint ops? Is it a long term buff like the federation perks or just a small one off reward of federation cohesion and/or resource?

Something we wanted to do, but couldn’t do for 2.6 due to lack of time, was to add some more flavor events to federations. We had some cool ideas for things we wanted to try, and we’re very happy that we’ve been able to add some events for the upcoming 2.7 update.
This I'm looking forward to! How many are in the game total? And will more be added here and there over future updates?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Will you be able to ues favours for war declarations?

Also, it seemed to me that it was easy to get favours out of others by dumping resources on them. I am afraid if it will be too easy to gain favour with others you will be able to force your will through the Federation way faster than optimal - and I am saying this as someone who was wondering why you couldn't use favours for federation laws when the update came out.

Joint operations seems like a nice idea, perhaps later on it could be expanded into its own system as opposed to random events.

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Since the release of Federations and the 2.7 update
You mean 2.6?

EDIT: To that one guy that disagreed, he edited the OP with this.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Any plans for further Federation development to allow for a single foreign policy after you've reached a certain level?
It is nice that I can ban seprarate treaties but that doesn't mean the federation as a whole shouldn't be able to prusue a common foreign policy ...

• 1Like
Reactions:
this is free update, features can be dumped in paid DLC
Most of them, at least here, are going to the DLC, and many people have asked for them, me included. Like Federation events, did you read the Q&As for this?
As for AI and bugfixing, that's a given. But they don't mention that often on DDs, however, they did in the post 2.6 DD.
The May update (TBA) will contain more bug fixes, but also a bunch of new things for you to play with. We are very interested in hearing your feedback and ideas regarding Federations, and if there was anything you would have wished for us to add.

• 5Like
Reactions:
View attachment 572268
The UI for voting on war declarations has received a face-lift. It’s now more clear which war goal is used, and you can see a summary of the target of the war, and which their allies are. This should hopefully make it easier for you to decide if you are in favor of the war or not.
Please, please, please add in a mechanism to vote for ending a long running war where the enemy is at 100% exhaustion, but the AI keeps going until both sides get to 100%. This can cause Federation wars to drag on for decades longer than they really need to, especially if the AI either can't be bothered to capture planets or systems with claims or they physically can't due to access or they don't have the strength to do so.

Currently this is the major reasons I don't enjoy being in a federation, the wars are easy to get into, but almost impossible to get out of until both sides are at 100% exhaustion, unless you are the war leader.

• 14Like
Reactions:
Wait where is the option to view dev posts only. How am I supposed to read my Dev Diary threads without that?!

That being said, I really can't wait for the 2.7 update for the Habitat improvements. Void Dwellers is my favorite origin and I can't wait to see how the gameplay changes in 2.7

• 3Like
Reactions:
Please, please, please add in a mechanism to vote for ending a long running war where the enemy is at 100% exhaustion, but the AI keeps going until both sides get to 100%. This can cause Federation wars to drag on for decades longer than they really need to, especially if the AI either can't be bothered to capture planets or systems with claims or they physically can't due to access or they don't have the strength to do so.

Currently this is the major reasons I don't enjoy being in a federation, the wars are easy to get into, but almost impossible to get out of until both sides are at 100% exhaustion, unless you are the war leader.
If you're letting the AI declare wars while in a Federation you're doing it wrong :3 You should always be war leader.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Interesting new features. But I'm dissapointed we didn't get to see some of the new resolutions, for example the Spiritualist ones you guys hinted at.

I know it was not focus of this dev diary, but I would like to be informed about your progress of fixing the Crisis AI.

Many many months ago, we have already informed you guys about the fact that the Crisis does not expand properly. The more space it conquers, the more likely it is for the crisis to send their construction ship from one side of their space to the other, wasting decades of building time with construction ships flying from one point to another. Of course this is even more apparentl with the new Crisis strength modifiers.

While the x10 and x25 crisis modifiers are welcome, they are not a solution to the problem.

As long as you do not teach the Crisis how to properly expand in one direction, or multiple at once, just like a regular empire or player would, Crisis strength means nothing.

After 50 years the Crisis remains a colourful spot on the map but nothing more than that. Ever since 2.2, the "Crisis" does not deserve its name anymore. Because it never actually threatens to conquer the entire galaxy.

The fact that players even ask for something like x25 Crisis strength should be enough proof that the Crisis strength should simply be raised across the board. In my opinion, it should never be possible for one single empire, whether player or AI, to be able to combat and defeat the Crisis alone. You have added a lot of combat bonuses against the Crisis to Federation effects. However, these are ultimately useless, since the player isn't even forced to join a Federation just to defeat the Crisis. And depending on when the Federation is formed, you may aswell already have defeated the Crisis when you unlock these bonuses.

• 9Like
Reactions:
Well damn. That's all I asked for in the suggestion thread last month. Should have asked for a unicorn.

But really, great stuff. This will make being in a federation much better when not at war.

Hopefully the next big update will continue to work on the war AI so that I don't need that last bit in the sentence anymore.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
We’ve also improved the feedback you get whenever your federation unlocks a new level.
There is one issue for federations I hoped would be adressed: When a member gains a vassal, it automatically joins the federation. This can destroy cohesion in a blink of an eye. If the federation is on maximum level, it is virtually impossible to maintain the federation level. Worse, on level loss, laws are changed and cannot be changed back for years (a decade, right?). So although the federation itself may be healthy, and quite capable of getting cohesion back up rather quickly, one cannot avoid the level loss and long-lasting consequences from this AI action which the player cannot control.

So to remedy this, I would propose that on maximum federation level, once may still earn federation XP to create a buffer against these events. Maybe enough to maintain the federation level for some years, so that decisive action (envoy spam) has a chance to push cohesion up again. Another way would be to avoid these sudden drops in cohesion at all, but I'm sure you'll find the best way.

edit: forum redesign really gets me so far. except this 'new' habit of pushing the first letter as avatar and that likes are shown on the profile

• 7Like
Reactions: