• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #177 - Edict Rework

Greetings!

Today we’ll touch upon a subject dear to the hearts of many galactic rulers - namely Edicts!

Background
Edicts are meant to be a way for your empire to focus on certain issues without necessarily taking a permanent stance on them. More permanent stances on issues would be covered by Policies.

Although we felt that Edicts do fit this role pretty well, there were a couple of issues with the system that we think could be improved. The fact that Edicts would always time out felt like a little bit of unnecessary micromanagement at times, and didn’t really emphasize the feeling of “I am choosing to focus on these 2 things right now”. We felt that it would fit better if Edicts had a greater emphasis on making choices that you can go back and change, rather than being things you constantly go in and refresh.

upload_2020-4-23_12-25-43.png

An old friend with a slight makeover. Some Edicts are now toggled on/off instead of being on a timer.

Edict Capacity
Enter Edict Capacity – a new mechanic that puts a soft limit on how many Edicts of a certain type that you can have active at once. Similar to Starbase Capacity, your empire will suffer penalties if you exceed it, and the penalty in this case being Empire Sprawl. For every toggled and active Edict above the Edict Capacity, your Empire Sprawl will be increased by +25%.

By default, an empire will start with an Edict Capacity of 2, and can be modified by things like Authority, Civics and Ascension Perks. These values are very prone to being changed as more balance feedback comes in.

upload_2020-4-23_12-26-7.png

Dictatorial and Imperial Authority now increases Edict Capacity by +1.

upload_2020-4-23_12-26-24.png

The God-Emperor knows best.

upload_2020-4-23_12-26-45.png

You can now vigorously enact more Edicts.

Not all Edicts will use Edict Capacity, but rather only the ones that last until cancelled will. Edicts that can be toggled will have an Activation Cost and a Deactivation Cost, which is usually Influence. This means that you are paying the Influence when you are making changes, rather than paying to upkeep the Edicts you want.

Edicts that last until cancelled will be marked with a different icon from the edicts (and campaigns) that expire once their duration runs out.

upload_2020-4-23_12-27-15.png

An example of two different Edicts. Red: toggled - lasts until cancelled and uses Edict Capacity. Blue: temporary - lasts for 10 years and does not use Edict Capacity.

Edicts
Some of the Edicts have changed and we have added a couple of new ones, to better fit with the Edict Capacity. Let’s take a look at a few of them:

upload_2020-4-23_12-27-50.png

Whenever you need to stimulate your economy, subsidies can be the way to go. There are Farming, Mining, Energy and Industrial subsidies.

upload_2020-4-23_12-27-57.png

Neighbors suddenly turned hostile? Need to secure your borders? Pass this Edict to refocus your efforts!

upload_2020-4-23_12-28-4.png

Has the galaxy become more hostile? Do you need to build a powerful fleet to project your power? Focus on Fleet Supremacy for a more powerful and imposing fleet.

Pop Growth is problematic, so we have made some changes in the upcoming patch that will reduce Pop Growth from different sources across the board (more on that later). Food Policies are no more, and the popular Nutritional Plenitude is now a toggled Edict instead.

upload_2020-4-23_12-28-43.png

No longer a food policy (they don’t exist anymore). There are different versions for Hive Minds and Rogue Servitors.

Resource Edicts, Campaigns and Unity Ambitions
The model for the new Edict Capacity doesn’t fit very well for all types of Edicts, which is why the rare resource Edicts, Campaigns and Unity Ambitions remain unchanged and keep working like you are used to. This is also better for modding purposes, so that modders have the opportunity to use Edicts however they see best.

Finishing thoughts
Overall we feel like the new system better allows us to structure how the players get the tools they need to focus their empires for certain tasks. As we make more additions to the game in the future, this new system will also allow us to give the players more tools to address certain issues.

----

That is all for this week! We will be back again next week with another dev diary, this time about some federation-related content!

• 9Like
Reactions:
Over all this is the poorest DevDiary for Stellaris I've seen in a while as nothing is inspired or really solving a broken mechanic.

The Good:
  1. Revisiting pop growth. The current/legacy version is functional but also nonsensical. Especially the "only species may breed at a time" rule.
  2. The resource/ambition edicts are untouched by this system.
The Bad:
  1. The Edict cap is just a bad idea and comes across as a hold over of Monarch Power or other pet ideas for hindering players in the name of "depth." Does the former without adding the latter.
    1. As presented, a cap of two is absurd too against the number of edicts available. But if you want to build a game where vast interstellar empires can't chew bubblegum while tying their shoe then more power to you. It's tuned way too low.
  2. 25% penalty to Admin cap for going over is petty and arbitrary. It comes across as a meeting-room hat pull and nothing around fun or balance. Something more like +5%*number of edicts past 2 works better and gives players more agency.
  3. Cost to cancel the policy? Really? Just stop right now, that's a concept without merit. If you think the costs are too low double them. Charging to exit an edict though punishes mistakes, discourages players from experimenting with swapping out policies, and doesn't ultimately add to game play or fun.
The Ugly:
  1. Fix game performance in the later game - even on a medium galaxy the engine starts falling apart. Last thing needed is adding more features when the existing job handling algorithm chokes the life out of the game.

Too little change, too predictable, too meaningless. Anyone knows you have to run Nutritional Plenitude at all times.
Being over the cap on edicts is free if all it does is increase the now irrelevant empire sprawl.

Anyone knows you have to run Nutritional Plenitude at all times.
To be fair, they are saying they're trying to look at pop growth. Right now, it's required at all times because working pops are the direct measure of strength for an empire, but if that changes, so too does Nutritional Plentitude's power.

To be fair, they are saying they're trying to look at pop growth. Right now, it's required at all times because working pops are the direct measure of strength for an empire, but if that changes, so too does Nutritional Plentitude's power.
I think it should affect something else, population growth is not a function of the availability of food in modern societies, much less in a space-faring one.

Pops being the measure of strength is not going to change given the economic system that we have, unless they add deep downsides to keeping unhappy conquered/abducted populations or something else. It's funny how it used to be that in the previous system getting more pops was inconsequential after a few years once most planets were full and now it's the most important thing.

Concurring with the others saying they won't want to change edicts. You say you want edicts to feel more like a temporary focus, but this is incentivizing us to think of them as more permanent decisions than we do now.

More precisely, influence edicts will be a somewhat more flexible version of regular civics (not counting locked ones like Barbaric Despoilers and so on):

- At any one time you have a strictly limited number of civics (initially 2, goes up to 3 with a certain tech). You can change the regular ones at any time, but it costs influence to do so.
- At any one time you have a soft-limited number of edicts enabled (initially 2, goes up with various things; you can exceed the cap but probably don't want to unless you are running Byzantine Bureaucracy). You can change them, but it costs influence to do so.

I don't think this is a bad change, but the experience of government reforms is relevant here. How often do players reform their government opportunistically, as opposed to a one-off change in direction (or 'levelling up' when they go from 2 to 3 civics)? To a first approximation, that is how often players will flip the switches on edicts.

I hope that when this change comes through, the bonuses on some of the existing influence edicts will be made more impactful over the longer term, especially now they are quasi-civics and also have drawbacks. For instance, the proposed new Farming Subsidies gives +1.2 food and -0.5 energy for each Farmer. That's OK early on, but will become negligible over time due to the way empires naturally employ proportionally fewer and fewer Farmers as the game goes on; it could even become totally useless once the Galactic Market in food crashes, which is something that can happen quite often. What about giving Farmers +1 base food instead? That way, the bonus scales up in a more meaningful way over the course of the game.

unless they add deep downsides to keeping unhappy conquered/abducted populations or something else
Ha, you mean re-add. 2.2, for some reason, completely neutered the effects of Recently Conquered, Faction Happiness, and such things.

The words "democratic" and "nerf" shouldn't exist in the same sentence. Or even the same paragraph.
Well, I mean, we could say "The last thing Democracies need in Stellaris is a nerf. In fact, they need the opposite." But outside of that...

I'd also argue for a continous payment of influence for a running edict instead of a lump sum. With this system under my current playstyle I pay the 80 influence for capacity overload and live happily ever after, because I won't change that ever.
I might change the second edict, Map the stars after 100 years but otherwise, no need for change...

i think you could have changed some other edicts too , in particular some of the one that use special resources , just by giving increase upkeep ( in special resources) to your ships .

even if they end up actualy costing more of the pick 1 evry 10 years , it is less heavy on the " this buff is over, now your ships have 10% less armor , and if you pick it again, this armor will need to be repaired" .

Another thought for the upkeep edicts - it'd be neat to have several tiers of each. So, for example, minor subsidies, regular subsidies, extensive subsidies. Each step requiring further investment and perhaps invoking a cooldown (not terribly long), as well as possibly taking up more edict capacity for the high-tier ones if their power warrants it. Allow the player to decide not only on whether they want to toggle the subsidies, but how much subsidizing something actually needs, too.

... Yes I like the Galactic Community way too much and wish that internal politics worked with actual voting by internal factions represented in governing body - it would create a more interesting game narrative that way, imo. :p (It's what gave me the idea of tiers, really)

Sooo, what do genocidal empires spend their influence on now? They can't spend influence on claims, expansion only exists in the early part of the game, and they can't spend it on diplomatic interactions either.

I get what you are saying, and agree with your frustration, but there is a definite reason Pop Growth is so impactful.

Think of this analogy: Position, Speed, and Acceleration.
Position = resources in the bank
Speed = Jobs (and the Pops working them)
Acceleration = Pop Growth

Your position changes over time depending on your speed. You change position faster when you are at a faster speed, and slower at a slower speed.
Speed also changes. The change in speed is called acceleration, just as the change in position is called speed. These measurements form a sort of logical ladder, where in the short time span, position matters the most and acceleration the least, but in the long time span, acceleration matters the most and position the least.
It gets complicated when we have initial conditions to consider, but in Stellaris's case we all start out the same: 100-200 of each resource, ~30 Pops, and ~0.03 Pops per month.

I too get what you are saying, high school is great to learn thing, and as you say pop growth is impactful. What i am against is that for someones it has become the only impactful thing. In many games with Barbaric Despiolers i have got by 2275 what other players got in pops by 2350, yet since it doesn't affect pop growth and raiding is slow and boring BD is thrash. Your example show why pop growth is important and i agree, what i disagree, not with you but with other players is that pg is not the only important thing :)

I didn't play the game at release, so I wouldn't know. I started when Utopia was new. Upgrading a Research Lab used to specialize it into one field. Now all Researchers are exactly the same. Now, the only things that change the balance of research outputs are Culture Workers and space deposits. My Engineering usually ends up my lowest output, which is discouraging knowing how many key techs it has for letting me do stuff in the game.
I thought it might have been the case where in the past there were type specific labs. There are several planet modifiers for specific research fields so it seemed like specializing would have been a thing.
The natural scientist traits aren't all that interesting for specializing pops since there are few specialized jobs so I've mostly used them to give character to custom races.

1. 25% penalty to Admin cap for going over is petty and arbitrary. It comes across as a meeting-room hat pull and nothing around fun or balance. Something more like +5%*number of edicts past 2 works better and gives players more agency.
Reread this.
For every toggled and active Edict above the Edict Capacity, your Empire Sprawl will be increased by +25%.