• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #171 - Federations Stream

Hello everyone!

This week we’re back with another dev diary! I apologize in advance for it being a shorter one, but don’t worry, we aim to make up for it with a stream!.

Later today at 17:00 CET we will be hosting a stream over at Twitch where we will be talking about Federations and showing off all the features in more detail (such as all the federation perks). We will also be announcing the release date for the Federations expansion and showing off a cool new trailer!

If you have things you want us to show on stream, please don’t be afraid to mention them here!

See you on the stream!

---

We announced that Federations will be released on March 17th!

You can watch the continued story trailer here:

You can also watch the VOD of yesterday's stream

Last edited:
1.) Could you please show us a Juggernaut in action? And especially, show us its stats on the stream (i.e. cost, naval capacity used, HP, etc.) Does it require an ascension perk to build like the Colossus does or not?

2.) Can you show us any new preset empires that are being added for Federations, if applicable [many of your expansions have had them, and some players love playing with them]. If there aren't any, could you consider adding some in a patch [just like how you are currently slated to release a new Lithoid preset empire]?

3.) Could you show off some examples of the AI improvements in action - such as showing the AI performing more competitively?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would like to echo @Tech Noir Synth and say it would be lovely to see any balance changes made to machine pop growth and Hive Minds in general. I haven't heard you guys mention doing anything regarding this topic, but I am still holding out hope that you still remember that Hive Minds exist. The Tree of Life by itself will not fix Hive Minds, and even if it did, it would force people to pick a specific Origin to make Hive Minds not fail completely, which would be terrible game design. Performance has presumably been fixed and @Eladrin confirmed that Duuk's Bug has been fixed. If you get Gestalt balance fixed, we'll really have the whole Trifecta in 2.6.

Have fighters/interceptors changed at all?
  • The juggernaut is supposed to be fighter heavy... But right now (2.5.x) strikectaft are a bit crap..

I'll second this. Particularly, in 2.5.x there is a known glitch [players have run extensive analysis on this] that strike-craft repeatable techs only apply to the first fighter in the squadron and none of the others, making these techs almost worthless [as 7/8 of the fighters receive no benefit]. It would be wonderful if you could fix this glitch. Even then, due to alpha-strike dominance strikecraft are still not likely to be great, but it would at least help them out even in the absence of any further balance changes. [That said, buffing them would be a good idea.]

Thanks.

The changes in Empire Sprawl & Administrative Capacity, particularly the specifics of:
  1. The contribution of pops / districts / planets / sectors to the increase in admin cap.
  2. What buildings provide +Admin Cap workers for (and resulting # / productivity):
    1. Non-Gestalts
    2. Hive Minds
    3. Machine Empires
Or, if the system has changed enough since the dev diary that's no longer how it's going to work, how it does work.

Also
  • Any changes to strike craft.
  • How the new Federations interact with the Fleet Manager.
  • Any adjustments (even temporary ones until you address pop growth more broadly) to current economic strategy, which amounts to Robots FTW (causing issues with non-Synthetic Ascension and Hive Minds).

Show us some of the Federation perks you get for each Federation type (if you can't show them all just show us one of the Federation types) please?

And please show off the Mammalian Juggernaut?

Also please show us how the Galactic Community works.

I would also like to see what the penalties for going over Admin Cap are on a point for point bases. That is to so, what are the exact penalties for going over Admin Cap by exactly 1 point. This would allow us to have a hay day with speculation on how Admin Cap will affect gameplay in 2.6.

Yes, please talk about the AI improvements. All the new stuff is pointless if the AI can't even handle the basic game and is pathetic to you after a hundred years without even trying

Will there be any more performance improvements or is this the patch that makes it "good enough" and it's ever addressed again like in previous versions

This is a good step but imo there must be more

Will there be any more performance improvements or is this the patch that makes it "good enough" and it's ever addressed again like in previous versions

This is a good step but imo there must be more
What alternate reality are you from where this has been the case?

Would be interesting to know if there has been anything like a "civil war" mechanic that been thought about, would love to have my very own "clone wars" within stellaris.