• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #171 - Federations Stream

Hello everyone!

This week we’re back with another dev diary! I apologize in advance for it being a shorter one, but don’t worry, we aim to make up for it with a stream!.

Later today at 17:00 CET we will be hosting a stream over at Twitch where we will be talking about Federations and showing off all the features in more detail (such as all the federation perks). We will also be announcing the release date for the Federations expansion and showing off a cool new trailer!

If you have things you want us to show on stream, please don’t be afraid to mention them here!

See you on the stream!

---

We announced that Federations will be released on March 17th!

You can watch the continued story trailer here:

You can also watch the VOD of yesterday's stream

Last edited:
I don't really mind it.

Also, considering one of the concerns about the Juggernaut's mobile shipyard capabilities was "why would I reinforce my fleet using it instead of my huge shipyards at home", it bears looking at the new reinforcement mechanics... within which the Juggernaut seems much more useful to me.

I think the Juggy will have a place in my RP games esp. seeing that I'm pre-disposed to like the "big splashy" things like Megastructures, Titans, etc.

Well, they form a federation with the blue guys to wage war against the Galactic Community, but same difference.
Was that it? I was under the impression that they're not waging war against the GC but a federation. If you remember from the first trailer, it seems as though they were belligerents in a war and it was settled by them being forced into a federation, and now, rebelling.

Was that it? I was under the impression that they're not waging war against the GC but a federation. If you remember from the first trailer, it seems as though they were belligerents in a war and it was settled by them being forced into a federation, and now, rebelling.
I agree with the analysis a few other people have made suggesting that the Federations trailer represents the Galactic Community signing in the "mandatory Utopian Abundance" bill or some such and the blue aliens forming a Federation to retaliate based on the crippling economic catastrophe said bill results in for them.

I agree with the analysis a few other people have made suggesting that the Federations trailer represents the Galactic Community signing in the "mandatory Utopian Abundance" bill or some such and the blue aliens forming a Federation to retaliate based on the crippling economic catastrophe said bill results in for them.
But then what was the whole deal about "Ending the crippling wars that have plagued our nations for too long"?

Are there any future plans to fix the vassal system? Vassals and Protectorates are borked and ok I can edit files to make vassals and protectorates give tributes but this doesn't fix the larger underlying issues with subject empires right now.

Are there any future plans to fix the vassal system? Vassals and Protectorates are borked and ok I can edit files to make vassals and protectorates give tributes but this doesn't fix the larger underlying issues with subject empires right now.

Agree. If they'd just re enable AI bonus to vassals and then detract it from tributes it would fix everything. As it is now not only vassals are useless but once you subjugate one they have no hope to ever challenge you again.

federation1.jpg federation2.jpg

Agree. If they'd just re enable AI bonus to vassals and then detract it from tributes it would fix everything. As it is now not only vassals are useless but once you subjugate one they have no hope to ever challenge you again.

The +25% bonus to *all* resource production of non-President level-5-Hegemony member states will hopefully help a little bit in this regard. I normally vassalize empires just to lock down portions of the map when I play a Star Empire / Despotic Hegemony. The perks of the new Hegemony Federation look good enough that I will definitely be giving that a try. I think the bonus to member states is meant to address the problem you are discussing.

Oh wow. Humans took pretty dark turn since Apocalypse trailer.
Of the four human nations in the trailers only the UNE was morally uptight. The others were the Commonwealth of Man (Utopia and the response to Apocalypse), the MegaCorp and whatever empire of the seven that comprised the Union of Progress and later backstabbed them alongside the blue guys (who I assume are the Fareen, because the Fareen Imperium is red, and so are the ship lights of the blue guys' fleet) and frogs. Although the human signatory looked much happier during the teaser trailer than either the blue guy (scowling) and the frog (inscrutable), so maybe they're just opportunists like a certain other human empire of Paradox fame, and they just saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship.

Hello everyone!

This week we’re back with another dev diary! I apologize in advance for it being a shorter one, but don’t worry, we aim to make up for it with a stream!.

Later today at 17:00 CET we will be hosting a stream over at Twitch where we will be talking about Federations and showing off all the features in more detail (such as all the federation perks). We will also be announcing the release date for the Federations expansion and showing off a cool new trailer!

If you have things you want us to show on stream, please don’t be afraid to mention them here!

See you on the stream!

---

We announced that Federations will be released on March 17th!

You can watch the continued story trailer here:

You can also watch the VOD of yesterday's stream

I'm just watching the replay of the stream on YouTube right now. I have a question about 10:25: Instead of hacking in forced resettlement for fanatic egalitarians, why not make it so there is a high amount of negative migration attraction for the doomed planet the closer it gets to doomsday?

Has there only been one juggernaut design shown? (Or is there only one design period?)
I feel like they watched the Last Jedi at some point and decided to copy the big dumb Snoke boomerang flagship.

Has there only been one juggernaut design shown? (Or is there only one design period?)
I feel like they watched the Last Jedi at some point and decided to copy the big dumb Snoke boomerang flagship.
Multiple ones were shown on the Stellaris twitter, a while back.