• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #163 - Juggernaut & Mega Shipyard

Hello everyone!

Today we’ll be talking about some big stuff – namely the Juggernaut and the Mega Shipyard.

Both of these new behemoths are a part of the upcoming Federations expansion.

Juggernaut
Stellaris has been in development for many years and, and if there’s something we know for sure its that big ships are cool, and bigger ships are even cooler. With this flawless logic in mind, we obviously wanted to add something even bigger than a Titan.

Mobile starbases is something that we know has been widely requested, so why not hit two avians with one lithoid?

upload_2019-12-5_14-20-23.png

Visually, the Juggernaut has the shape of a giant pair of wings.
The juggernaut is as much a mobile starbase as it is a massive warship. Although the Juggernaut works like a mobile starbase in some regards, it will not project borders or control ownership or systems. A Juggernaut instead functions like a forward base of operations during offensive campaigns, a place where you can repair your ships. The Juggernaut will not have starbase modules or buildings – instead it will count as always having 2 Shipyards (which means it can build, repair and upgrade ships).

upload_2019-12-5_14-20-42.png

The Juggernaut can be designed in the ship designer, and features 2 XL turrets, 6 hangar slots and 5 medium turrets.

upload_2019-12-5_14-20-56.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-12.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-31.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-41.png upload_2019-12-5_14-21-51.png

In addition, the Juggernaut gets access to a couple of new and unique aura components.

upload_2019-12-5_14-22-8.png

The Juggernaut will be unlocked by a technology which requires Citadels and Battleships to be already researched. A Starbase will also need to have a Colossal Assembly Yard in order to be able to construct one. The Colossal Assembly Yard is required for (and unlocked by) both the Colossus and the Juggernaut.

upload_2019-12-5_14-22-22.png

The Juggernaut will have an empire limit of 1.

Mega Shipyard
New Megastructures are always nice, because we all want more ways to show off the glory and magnificence of our empires. The Mega Shipyard is exactly what it is, a giant shipyard that allows you to build a lot of ships really fast.

upload_2019-12-5_14-22-47.png

The Mega Shipyard will also provide ships with +100 starting XP, so that it will not matter where you build them. Generally speaking, we are trying to avoid design that creates incentives for players to engage in more micromanagement that may not be fun. We believe the choice of where to build a ship (because it would cost less, or gain more XP somewhere) is an example of micromanagement that is not very fun. The only incentive is to avoid loss aversion, which is not a good. Incentives should generally be positive.

upload_2019-12-5_14-23-1.png

The Mega Shipyard is unlocked by a technology which requires Mega-Engineering (like the others). It’s found in the Society tree and belongs to the Military Theory category.

upload_2019-12-5_14-23-16.png

The Mega Shipyard will have 3 stages (in addition to construction site):
Mega Shipyard Framework
- 10 Shipyards, +33% Ship Build Speed, +100 Starting Ship XP
Mega Shipyard Core - 20 Shipyards, +66% Ship Build Speed, +100 Starting Ship XP
Mega Shipyard - 30 Shipyards, +100% Ship Build Speed, +100 Starting Ship XP

The bonuses to Ship Build Speed will be empire-wide.

Keep in mind that these numbers are work-in-progress and may change.

---

That is all for this week! Next week will be the last dev diary of the year, before the holidays, and we will be doing a round up of the year.

Also keep an eye on our social media channels, as we will be sharing some more screenshots of the Juggernaut and Mega Shipyard.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Neat. Is there a unique model for the juggernaut or will all species have a different one? If they do have a different one, can you show us the designs pretty please?!

Well, my question about the Juggernaut was answered (how it's built). Will there be a DD next year touching on how the Interstellar Assembly will work (is it being changed at all)?

Re the Juggernaut Auras, I seem to remember posters reporting that modifiers to strike craft damage and point defense damage don't work.

Edit: Specifically for strike craft, I think the damage bonus was only applied to the first of the eight strike craft.

Last edited:
The only incentive is to avoid loss aversion, which is not a good. Incentives should generally be positive.
On a design note - this seems very much a case of six of one, and half-dozen of t'other.

Any incentive to make a decision here that has any meaning surely means a trade-off for something else there. Loss aversion seems built into the concept of incentive at all, so I am really not sure practically what you talking about here. Is there an example of what you mean from what is currently in the game?

Is that all the weapons the juggernaut has..? It looks terribly weak to me. Fighter squadrons aren't as weak as they used to be, but they're still certainly not impressive, and no L slots? Starbases already suffer horribly from being constrained to M slots, and you know neutron launchers and kinetic artillery dominate the game until you at least rebalance evasion to punish over-reliance on big guns.

The juggernaut just looks like a weak mobile shipyard to me, comparable to a titan, not superior.

Looks cool, although nothing really unexpected here (especially with the Mega-Shipyard). That being said... I think the Juggernaut is going to be great, and you're right: big ships are cool.

Is it the same model for all shipsets?
The picture says arthropoid to me. It’d look silly next to a lithoid fleet. My bet is yes.

On a design note - this seems very much a case of six of one, and half-dozen of t'other.

Any incentive to make a decision here that has any meaning surely means a trade-off for something else there. Loss aversion seems built into the concept of incentive at all, so I am really not sure practically what you talking about here. Is there an example of what you mean from what is currently in the game?

It's because of the Fleet Academy. You can build a module on your starbases that give +100 experience to any ship built there. This new shipyard doesn't have modules, so it gives the same bonus regardless so you don't have to choose between using the Mega Starbase or your ordinary ones.

The Mega Shipyard will also provide ships with +100 starting XP, so that it will not matter where you build them. Generally speaking, we are trying to avoid design that creates incentives for players to engage in more micromanagement that may not be fun. We believe the choice of where to build a ship (because it would cost less, or gain more XP somewhere) is an example of micromanagement that is not very fun. The only incentive is to avoid loss aversion, which is not a good. Incentives should generally be positive.
Does this mean that the fleet academy will disappear? That has currently been the primary reason for me to only build warships where I have that building.
Or does this bonus simply not stack with the academy?