• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #162 - New Diplomatic Features

Hello everyone!

Today we thought we’d talk about some of the smaller changes coming to diplomacy with the free 2.6 update. Although the Galactic Community and the reworked federations are sure to have a large impact on galactic diplomacy, it's also important to talk about the smaller things!

Envoys
One of the more important things we’ve added are the Envoys. Envoys function very similar to Diplomats in EU4, and they are required for certain diplomatic actions such as:
  • Improve / Harm Relations – it is now possible to send an Envoy to improve or harm relations which can affect Opinion by up to (-400 / +400 ). More on Opinion and Relations later.
  • Assigned to Federation (to increase monthly Cohesion by +1)
  • Assigned to Galactic Community (to increase Diplomatic Weight)
upload_2019-11-28_10-28-45.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-6.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-20.png

Although Envoys are characters, they do not currently have any character-mechanics such as traits. We didn’t think it would be fun to have to micromanage and switch Envoys around to better fit certain jobs depending on their traits.

Diplomacy Interface Updates
We’ve finally gotten around to give a bunch of diplomacy-related interfaces a facelift! First up, let’s talk a little about the general diplomacy screen.

You are now able to more clearly see things such as Civics, Origins, Relative Power breakdowns, your ongoing diplomatic agreements, and also the new diplomatic stances!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-2.png

This Hegemonic subordinate was kind enough to act as a model for the new diplo screen!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-30.png

Declaring rivalry never looked so appealing.

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-57.png

The diplomatic offers are now a bit more clear on what is going on (not final text). A downside, however, is that it's now much harder to fool colleagues into becoming your vassal in our internal multiplayer sessions.

Diplomatic Stances
Sometimes we like concept that our colleagues have put into some of our other games, and the diplomatic stances from Imperator: Rome were a good example. Although not exactly the same, we like the general idea. We wanted empires to be able to set a diplomatic stance that dictates their behaviour towards other empires on a galactic stage.

upload_2019-11-28_10-31-19.png

Diplomatic Stances are Policies and can be changed once every 10 years. There are a bunch of different stances, and some may also be unique to certain empire types (e.g. Isolationist is called Mercantile for Megacorporations).

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-17.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-7.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-55.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-37.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-27.png

Stances are designed to be quite different, and to facilitate different playstyles. Perceptive readers might notice that the Belligerent stance seems very similar to Supremacist, and that is true, except that Supremacist stance is designed for all empires that want to be “a big player”. Supremacist empires will dislike other empires with the same stance, so it is almost like a soft rivalry of sorts.

Stances also have some effect on internal politics, as some of your factions may have certain preferences when it comes to your foreign policy.

Relations and Opinion
We wanted an easier way to measure how the diplomatic relations between two empires is doing, so we’ve added a new aggregate value called Relations. Relations exists in different levels ranging from Terrible <- Tense <- Neutral -> Positive -> Excellent, and they do have an effect on which type of diplomatic actions that are available.

We want diplomacy to be less fickle, and more mechanical. Players should now have more ability to influence what other empires’ opinions are of them. Overall diplomacy should feel less static and more prone to evolving over time.

Form Federation requires Excellent Relations, and pacts like Migrations, Research or Commercial require Positive Relations. Similarly, Rivalries require Terrible Relations. This is also the case in player-to-player diplomacy, so it’s important to maintain a good standing.

Some of these restrictions can be bypassed by having an Envoy to harm or improve relations.

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-53.png

Favors
Finally we want to talk about Favors. Although Favors were primarily added to give players agency within the Galactic Community, they can also be used to influence the AIs likelihood of accepting certain diplomatic agreements.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-11.png

Favors is a new mechanic that allows you to increase your Diplomatic Weight for certain votes or proposals in the Galactic Community. An empire can owe another empire up to 10 Favors, and each Favor will increase Diplomatic Weight by “10%”.

For example – Empire B owes 10 Favors to Empire A. Empire A spends influence to call in all 10 Favors and adds 100% of the Diplomatic Weight that Empire B has. Empire A will add the Diplomatic Weight from Empire B, for a specific vote, without Empire B losing their Diplomatic Weight.

In effect, Favors allows an empire to manipulate vote results towards their point of view. It is not possible to Call in Favors when an empire is already voting the same way as you are. Multiple empires can call in favors from the same empire, and it's designed in this way to reduce the complexity of having to figure out which favors should have priority, or which favors should matter more.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-30.png

Pretty please. You owe me.

In addition to the Galactic Community, Favors can also be called in to increase acceptance chance by +5 when offering certain diplomatic deals.

Favors can be gained through diplomatic trades, or or some cases randomly through events.

---

That is all for this week! Next week we’ll be back with some more details on the Juggernaut and the Mega Shipyard.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Why does Isolationist stance increase Border friction so much? One would think other empires are at least neutral to having a neighbor that does not wish expand on them. Plus you already get bad relations from having closed border anyway right?
Because they want you to put your filthy xeno hands far away

This update looks amazing. I can not wait to dig into it.

Thanks for the post @grekulf - Question about Envoys.

If I send one to my pal, and he sends one to me, will the effects stack? Show two empires working hard to be friends.

Likewise, can I improve relations while someone tries to harm them with me? Are we effectively keeping a status quo on our current relationship?

Are there also plans for better management of Vassal Entities?
Creation that is not based on sector(or actually ability to adjust sectors manually). With vassal oriented empire/build sometime you want to create vassal in some area. However it also force you to give to vassal everything else in that sector.
Are there going to be tools to influence other empires ethics/gov type diplomatic way? (without war)
Are there going to be tools to influence your vassals ethics/gov type? (ex. Megacorp would want to create vassals that doesn't have megacorp gov, because it block creating branch offices on vassal planets)

To whom it may concern:
Please allow us, for the Blorg's sake, to build gateways in allied space.

Honestly, a tad disappointed that Envoys become a new pseudo-ressource, instead of a full-fledged addition to the leader system that is already core to Stellaris. Unless you intend the number of envoys to be >10, at that point I could understand the differentiation.

Oh, and complete nobrainer Diplomatic Stance policies.

Why would you, ever, take Expansionist except for flavor? +15% colony developement speed is horribly irrelevant, especially if you put your focus on Expansion and get the bonus from the same-named tradition tree anyways. Slap some +Pop Growth on colonies onto that, and it may be as relevant as +10% Naval Capacity.

Honestly, a tad disappointed that Envoys become a new pseudo-ressource, instead of a full-fledged addition to the leader system that is already core to Stellaris. Unless you intend the number of envoys to be >10, at that point I could understand the differentiation.

I actually understand their reasoning. It can be a bit micro-manage-y to move leaders between science ships / research sometimes. If you have 10 Envoys with different traits that you have to switch around constantly, it could become a little overwhelming.

Although... maybe the answer there is some sort of automated leader switching (maybe some minor notification or something that lets you know if there's an opportunity).

But I'm happy with the system as they describe it.

Just a quick question, but can you also use favours when trying to get the AI to trade systems with you? Very often is impossible to get anything for a system that you want to give them and impossuble to get a system off them in exchange for anything even 2 systems for the price of 1!

it would be nice if the AI was more keen to trade systems (with or without favours, tbh).​

I like the sharp new contact UI! Is there a way to easily mouse over an existing commercial pact / research agreement and see how much research/resources per month I'm getting from it?

Will there be any Diplomacy benefits for setting up branch offices or certain branch office buildings? Like +X opinion for each pop job provided or something. Foreign direct investment is usually a good way to make other countries like you in the real world.

Also, are we likely to see any new map filters, for the galaxy map, with the Federations update/DLC?

If I send one to my pal, and he sends one to me, will the effects stack? Show two empires working hard to be friends.

Likewise, can I improve relations while someone tries to harm them with me? Are we effectively keeping a status quo on our current relationship?
Yes to all of the above.

Favors
Finally we want to talk about Favors. Although Favors were primarily added to give players agency within the Galactic Community, they can also be used to influence the AIs likelihood of accepting certain diplomatic agreements.

Favors is a new mechanic that allows you to increase your Diplomatic Weight for certain votes or proposals in the Galactic Community. An empire can owe another empire up to 10 Favors, and each Favor will increase Diplomatic Weight by “10%”.

For example – Empire B owes 10 Favors to Empire A. Empire A spends influence to call in all 10 Favors and adds 100% of the Diplomatic Weight that Empire B has. Empire A will add the Diplomatic Weight from Empire B, for a specific vote, without Empire B losing their Diplomatic Weight.

In effect, Favors allows an empire to manipulate vote results towards their point of view. It is not possible to Call in Favors when an empire is already voting the same way as you are. Multiple empires can call in favors from the same empire, and it's designed in this way to reduce the complexity of having to figure out which favors should have priority, or which favors should matter more.

This sounded confusing to me, so:

A has 100 DW and will vote Yea, B has 120 DW and will vote Nay. A calls 10 Favors on B. Now A has 220 DW and will vote Yea, and B still has 120 DW and will vote... Yea? Nay? Abstain?

I actually understand their reasoning. It can be a bit micro-manage-y to move leaders between science ships / research sometimes. If you have 10 Envoys with different traits that you have to switch around constantly, it could become a little overwhelming.

Although... maybe the answer there is some sort of automated leader switching (maybe some minor notification or something that lets you know if there's an opportunity).

But I'm happy with the system as they describe it.
I think it's ok that they don't have trait, but I would LOVE if they were able to gain experience and level up, just like other leaders. It would have you decide what's most important at the meoment and where you send the most experienced diplomat. Removing them later could trigger some flavor events (like the empire is disappointed that beloved envoy XYZ was pulled away). Or if you keeep them at the same place all their lifes and they die there, the befriended empire might offer a mutual ceremony, which will strengthen relationships.

It looks like they're following the Xenophobe FE's stance, and that Isolationist Empires don't want others on their border, and will be more upset if they do. So it would be nice if in the future, your Empire could enforce this like a FE can.
Like a "dismantle border outpost CB"? (Wouldn't be able to apply to colonised systems though)

I like the diplomatic stances idea a lot, it's going to do a lot to give empires more character.

But I hope those non-final numbers are truly non-final, as some just seem plain better than others. For example, 'expansionist' seems basically worthless outside the early game. Isolationist has some ok bonuses, but you pay through the nose for them and the others have nothing but bonuses.

I can’t wait to send my envoys to talk shit at other empires.
Speaking of which, how do you gain em? Do you hire em and they just have an upkeep like other leaders or do you just get one per x pops or based on your diplomatic power?

They are a neighbour who doesn't want any interaction with you. Anything happening at the border will be observed by suspicious eyes.

You can justify it from a lore perspective, but from a gameplay PoV the purpose of the border friction mechanic is to drive conflict if it's high, so by going isolationist and accruing more border friction you're more likely to get into wars... which seems counter-intuitive.