• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #159 - Galactic Community

Hello everyone!

Today we will be talking about a new feature coming with Stellaris: Federations – the Galactic Community!

The Galactic Community is very similar to a United Nations in space. Members can propose and vote on Resolutions, which are laws that affect all the member empires.

Resolutions
The Resolutions are intended to be divisive, so that even empires that are allies can have very different agendas when it comes to which Resolutions should be passed.

upload_2019-11-7_10-51-28.png

Resolutions exist in categories and have a couple of steps in each category.

upload_2019-11-7_10-51-49.png

Go big or go home.

Passing a Resolution
The first step to passing a Resolution is proposing it! Any member of the Galactic Community can propose a Resolution, but they can only have one ongoing. When a Resolution is proposed, it moves into the proposal queue.

upload_2019-11-7_10-52-28.png

The Galactic Community dealing with matters of critical importance to the continued well-being of the galaxy and all of its inhabitants.

Only one Resolution can be voted on at a time on the senate floor, and the proposal that moves into session next will be the proposed Resolution with the highest amount of Diplomatic Weight supporting it.

upload_2019-11-7_10-53-3.png

Senate in session, voting on a Resolution.

When a Resolution is in session and is being voted on, empires can support, oppose or abstain. Voting for or against will add an empire’s Diplomatic Weight to either side, and when the current session ends the votes will be counted. A Resolution will pass if the Diplomatic Weight in favor of the Resolution is higher than the amount opposing it.

Diplomatic Weight
Diplomatic influence will be calculated using a new scoring system called Diplomatic Weight, and it will be composed of things like economy, technology, fleet power to name a couple of examples.

upload_2019-11-7_10-53-46.png

Cooperative Diplomatic Stance increases Diplomatic Weight by +25%.
There will also be a number of different ways to influence how much Diplomatic Weight you are getting from different sources. There are Resolutions that can modify how much Diplomatic Weight you gain from your economy, and there are Diplomatic Stances that increase how much Diplomatic Weight you gain from fleet power or other areas (more on Diplomatic Stances later!).

So as you can see, there are many different ways to make yourself more influential on a diplomatic, galactic stage!

Favors
For Resolutions, empires have the possibility to call in favors to strengthen their votes. An empire can owe another empire up to 10 favors, and each favor is worth 10% diplomatic weight. For example, if an empire calls in 10 favors, they can add 100% of the other empire’s diplomatic weight to theirs. Calling in favors this way will only affect votes on Resolutions. This also means that favors will work the same between player empires as it will between player and AI empires.

upload_2019-11-7_10-54-16.png

Calling in favors costs Influence.

Favors can also be used to increase the likelihood of AI empires accepting diplomatic deals.

Favors can be traded through the trade diplomatic action.

Galactic Council
It is possible to reform the Galactic Community to include a Galactic Council. The council will be composed of a number of empires with the highest Diplomatic Weight. By default, the council will have 3 members, but the number can be changed through Resolutions.

The Galactic Council also gets access to special powers such as veto rights or emergency measures.

Veto rights allows a council member to veto a Resolution that is currently in the proposal queue.

While the galactic senate is in recess it is possible for Galactic Council members to declare a proposed Resolution an emergency. This will immediately put the senate into session and will initiate a vote on the emergency Resolution.

Galactic Focus
It is possible for the Galactic Community to set a Galactic Focus. This will mean the Galactic Community together have decided to achieve something or to deal with a crisis.

There will be Resolutions to declare the galactic invaders a threat to the galaxy, which means it will be against galactic law to have closed borders to any other Galactic Community member while the crisis is ongoing.

The Galactic Market is now founded through a Galactic Focus to “Found the Galactic Market”. When the Resolution to form the Galactic Market has been passed, the bidding process to be the market founder will continue as it previously did.

Creating/Joining/Leaving the Galactic Community

When an empire has established communications with half of the empires in the galaxy, an event will trigger to suggest the formation of a Galactic Community. This means that forming the Galactic Community will be similar to how it used to work to form the Galactic Market.

It is possible to join the Galactic Community (and to see it!) as soon as you have established communications with any member of it.

Leaving the galaxy community is something an empire might choose to do if they become the target of too many sanctions or if there are too many Resolutions that negatively impact them.

----

Next week we will be showing all the Origins!

• 1Like
Reactions:
United-Nations-uninvolved-in-peace-618x367.jpg

Will this Galactic Community be as effective as the real UN?

Jokes aside, I have a question: You mentioned back in PDXCON that we'll be able to pass a focus on a galactic crisis (Prethoryn, Contingency, etc). Will we be able to do the same to the End of the Cycle and the Grey Tempest? Currently empires don't cooperate at all when it comes to these two (for the others, at least they tried, and failed for the most part).

I love everything that i'm seeing but I have a lot of questions so @grekulf (or any other mod) if you can answer some of these:

1) Is there a diplomatic malus just for being in breach of the galactic law?
2) How can we know if someone is in breach of the galactic law?
3) How can we denounce someone? According to the achievements we can even denounce someone who is not really in breach of the galactic law so ... any clue about the method?
3) Sanctions. I suppose numbers are not final at all but what kind of sanctions should we expect?

Thank you very much. Good work as always. Very hyped with Federations.

Last edited:
What stops the empire with highest diplo weight from being the only one to ever get proposals through? Is there a cooldown on proposals? Have you considered instead using a system where proposals accrue support over time based on diplo weight, allowing even small empires to get proposals through if they work on them long enough?

Proposing Resolutions costs Influence, and you can only propose 1 at a time. It is intentional for large empires to be able to filibuster resolutions that are bad for them, by having their own proposals bypass them.

I like the concept, but this feels more like a feature that should be part of a Federation or only formed in response to a major event such as a crisis or galaxy-wide war (similar to the UN), not automatically generated and spread across the entire galaxy just by meeting a certain number of other civilizations. Feels rather non-sensical that a bunch of competing polities with divergent ethics, interests, and wars would subject themselves to the authority of the Galactic Community, especially Authoritarian or Xenophobic civs. I'm very glad that membership is not compulsory, hopefully that'll lead to more realistic outcomes.

If it's anything like the real UN, you will receive a very strongly worded letter from other members telling you to stop it at once.
That's it.
Depends very much on what resolutions you pass.

Initially? Pretty much just a strongly worded letter.
Later? Some of the sanctions can get pretty crippling.

What incentive is there to stop someone who's generally diplomatically disinclined to be a member long-term from initially joining the Galactic Community to ... scope out potential ... threats?

Depends very much on what resolutions you pass.

Initially? Pretty much just a strongly worded letter.
Later? Some of the sanctions can get pretty crippling.
So, more effective than the real UN then. What kind of sanctions should we expect? Diplomatic boycotts? Economic sanctions? Or something else?

If you can choose to violate a resolution, that's awesome. I never liked how other civs could force me to do or not do things in Civ.

Also, "Buzzword standardisation" made me chuckle :D .

Will there be any resolutions that are triggered/available based on the actions of other empires?

Like, if someone else in the community declares war on me, can I create and try to pass a resolution condemning them for that? Or did there have to be a "Don't attack other GC members" resolution prior to the war for there to be any sort of condemnation?

I am very sceptical about the content. First of all the resolution and federation perks we have seen so far look pretty blank and of low impact. 5% here, 10% there - whatever. Seems better to focus the influence and resources on actions which strengthen one's own empire. Second, it requires the AI to be actually smart or at least rational in diplomatic maneuvers. Seeing how it already fails to properly build up its economy (especially late game), pick space battles it actually has a chance to win, make rational trade deals or work together properly in the messy federation we have right now, I don't see it happening. And why unite against a crisis that is buggy anyway?
Please get the basic things right before adding another complicated layer the AI will struggle to handle.

Last edited:
dumbest comment i've read in a while.

the stellaris playerbase has been asking for a diplomacy overhaul practically from version 1.0 onwards. and now that the devs finally get around to doing it, they are somehow ignoring their community.

Just because you've no idea what he's talking about, doesn't mean that what he wrote is dumb.
Because this is not about the diplomacy overhaul, but about bugs that exist since Megacorp and aren't fixed yet, because of the abysmal AI, and the performcance issues, that are so bad, that the game virually grinds to a halt.
For many of us, the game just no longer is fun, because many things aren't really working. And for us, the lackluster diplomacy is the least of our concerns.

The DD mentioned that the new favor system can be used in basic diplomacy between two empires. Will any of the other new features affect basic diplomacy, such as Diplomatic Weight or Envoys?