• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #148 - Relics & Relic Worlds

Hello everyone!

As most of you probably know, the next upcoming DLC for Stellaris will be the Ancient Relics Story Pack. Last week I also promised I would show something awesome, by which I meant the headline feature of the story pack – the Relics themselves.

We announced Ancient Relics on tuesday and we also streamed a lot of stuff that will be coming with Ancient Relics and the free 2.3 update that goes with it. If you haven’t seen the stream yet, you may want to check out the summary on YouTube.

Relic Worlds
A smaller part of Ancient Relics are the Relics Worlds. It is a new planet class that is essentially a planet entirely covered in ruins. If you find a Relic World, it's very likely that you will be the first to get to excavate its archaeological site. An archaeological site found on a Relic World should have many chapters and have a high difficulty.

upload_2019-5-17_14-47-5.png

A Relic World can be restored to an Ecumenopolis, but it will lose its unique deposits and archaeology site if there is one.

upload_2019-5-16_12-41-9.png

The homeworld of the First League precursors have been changed into a Relic World. We felt that this fits way better thematically and we also felt that finding a “free” Ecumenopolis was too strong. You will now have to work a little harder to restore the ancient city planet.

As mentioned before, we haven’t quite had the time to refresh the old precursor content, but this is something we want to do over time, so eventually it's quite likely you’ll be able to find more Relic Worlds and associated archaeological sites.

Relics
The Relics are a really cool new feature to Stellaris. Relics are very powerful artifacts and trophies that you can collect. Every Relics has a passive effect as well as an activation effect. All Relics share the same activation cooldown, so you will have to choose which one you will want to activate. The activation cooldown is 10 years.

upload_2019-5-16_12-41-41.png

Most relics will have an Influence cost for the activation cost, but in some cases this will be different.

Relics cannot normally be taken from other empires, as we felt that the Relics you found should be yours. The only exception to this rule is The Galatron, for which you can declare wars to steal from another empire. Relics also add a lot of score, with The Galatron being the most powerful relic in that regard. If you want to have the highest score, securing The Galatron will be vital for your success!

upload_2019-5-16_12-41-51.png

The Relics system itself will be included in the base game, and you will be able to find a few Relics from previous content. Each crisis will have a Relic tied to it, and owners of MegaCorp will be able to get The Galatron. Owners of Apocalypse will be able to take the Khan’s Throne and owners of Leviathans will be able to take a trophy by defeating the Ether Drake.

upload_2019-5-16_12-42-4.png

Ancient Relics will feature a whole bunch of new Relics that you can collect. In total you’ll be able to find 20 of these new Relics.

The system is very moddable, and since the Relics system itself is free, mods will be able to use the system without requiring its users to own Ancient Relics. We’re very much looking forward to seeing what cool new Relics the community can conjure up!

Relics Design Intentions
I started as the first UI/UX designer at Paradox Development Studio over 6 years ago now, before switching over to purely doing game design and now eventually taking over as the game director for Stellaris. EU4 was the first game I worked on, and the macro builder is what I see as my first large contribution to our games. I’ve always thought that the UI/UX design and game design need to mesh really well for a solid experience. Although we can’t always get it right (my faults included), it's really fun to do something different here.

With the Relics I wanted us to start experimenting with more visual rewards. I wanted something that would be so cool to find, collect, and look at, that you almost didn't care about what the effects of the thing were. I wanted large icons with a slight animation, kind of like golden Hearthstone cards. Originally we only planned to have passive effects for them, but in order for the player to experience the visual rewards more often, we had to create incentives for them to open the UI and look at them. That is how the active effects came into play. By giving the Relics a really cool activation effect, players will open the UI more often and get those “feel good” moments by looking at their Relics.

From a design perspective, I am very happy with how the Relics turned out. We’ve made a really nice-looking UI with a thematic background that really fits the art style. We’ve also made awesome and animated relic icons that are really rewarding to collect and look at. The activation effects for a lot of the Relics are also really cool.

---

Ancient Relics is turning out to be a really cool addition to Stellaris, and it's going to be really great seeing how you guys react to the content once you get a chance to try it out.

That is all we had to share for this week’s dev diary. Next week we will be back with something different, technically speaking.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm amazed that I can steal the throne of the khan from the successor states

While these are all fine features and I'm sure they will be fun, for me the most exciting thing in the YT summary was that there will be features enabled as part of the patch, but the content will be DLC-only.

This is not only good for modders - it will help the developers build more interesting, interconnected DLCs in the future without the need to worry about what DLC combinations each player might have! New DLCs won't have to be shut-off parts of the game, they can interact with the changes introduced in other DLCs... It's great to see it, after EU4 shifting parts of DLC-content to patch-content this will help refine the PDX development model a lot!

When we will get CKII and EUIV-like message options, with pause, popup and pause, disable etc. options for various events? Because it's been 3 years and we still have no pause-when-research-is-finished.

Does a reminder banner appear at the top when the relic cooldown is available?

There is an alert, yes. Basically exactly like when you can Breach into the Shroud.

When we will get CKII and EUIV-like message options, with pause, popup and pause, disable etc.?

Not very likely, no. Our message system is very different.

Considering the mention of the UI, how moddable will the images for relics be?

Depends entirely on what you mean by that.

How will capturing a relic world (or any archaeological site) work, when empire 1 has completed, say, 3 out of the 6 chapters? Does empire 2 start over, pick up where empre 1 left off, or get locked out entirely? And how does re-reading the text of completed chapters work here too - can I read the chapters on a world owned by another player or can I only see the chapters I've completed on my own worlds?

Looks good! The system seems well thought out and fun!

Quick question:
Will there be certain 'tiers' of Relics?

For example, will there be relics that we can find relatively early game (25 - 75 years in) that provide nice, but average bonuses, and relics we can find late game (from end-game crisises, defeating Leviathons, wiping out Awakened Empires, winning the War in Heaven as the neutral powers, ETC) that provide strong bonuses that are tailored around their difficulty to obtain / rarity to find?

Looking forward to the expansion, good work as always!

How will capturing a relic world (or any archaeological site) work, when empire 1 has completed, say, 3 out of the 6 chapters? Does empire 2 start over, pick up where empre 1 left off, or get locked out entirely? And how does re-reading the text of completed chapters work here too - can I read the chapters on a world owned by another player or can I only see the chapters I've completed on my own worlds?

You can go back and read what they found, but your progress continues off from where they were. The previous rewards will already be taken, however.

One very, very major question.
Assuming the AI will get any Relics, will it be possible to 'acquire' them?
You know, by politely parking your armada over their homeworld and sending a lot of prepackaged purchase requests down...

What happens to relics of a conquered nation? Aside from the Galatron, are they lost once you take over their last planet?

Maybe - with the possibility of demanding relics - you could include an incentive to vassalization? Just a thought...

Great content, really! I'm looking forward to it! :)

One very, very major question.
Assuming the AI will get any Relics, will it be possible to 'acquire' them?
You know, by politely parking your armada over their homeworld and sending a lot of prepackaged purchase requests down...

Only the Galatron can be stolen right now. I updated the dev diary with some more information regarding stealing The Galatron and score from Relics.

Can we have a civic that let's us start on a relic world? I wanted to play a species that declined and now rises to power once again for a while. This would give us a cool option to live between the giant ruins of your species ancestors and discover their secrets.

Can we have a civic that let's us start on a relic world? I wanted to play a species that declined and now rises to power once again for a while. This would give us a cool option to live between the giant ruins of your species ancestors and discover their secrets.

Not right now, but that may become possible in the future! I like the idea.