• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary - #145 Archaeology

Hello everyone!

Today we’re back with yet another dev diary, which will build upon some of the things we revealed last week. Last week we outlined some information about Minor Relics, and how they can be useful. We didn’t mention specifically how they are usually found, but luckily that is something you’ll learn today!

Archaeology
In the next DLC you will be able to experience some new content related to uncovering and excavating archaeological sites. Sites can be discovered in multiple ways, be it either on survey, generated at game start, or perhaps generated by an event.

upload_2019-4-25_9-41-4.png

Sites that lie inside your borders can be excavated by a Scientist, and will consist of several different chapters. A site can have 1-6 chapters, in addition to an introduction/prologue. Each chapter will have its own narrative and a reward, and has to be unlocked before it becomes visible.
upload_2019-4-25_9-41-36.png

Excavation in progress. Spoiler-blurred text.

A chapter will be unlocked whenever the Scientist excavating the site gets a successful result at the end of an Excavation Phase – mechanically this works very similar to how sieges work in EU4. As the Scientist goes through phases, it will roll a dice and add modifiers to the result. The final result will then either do nothing, add clues, or make a breakthrough to the next chapter.

Game mechanics details:
Result = dice roll + Archaeology Skill + Clues - Difficulty

Result Outcomes:
0-7: Status quo
8-10: +1 clue
11-13: +2 clues
14+: Breakthrough

upload_2019-4-25_9-44-45.png

Chapter completed. Spoiler-blurred text.
A neat feature of this new system is that you can click previous chapters to go back and read what happened.

At the end of each Excavation Phase, it is also possible that the Scientist triggers a random event, which will inject some unpredictability and create opportunities for emergent storytelling.
upload_2019-4-25_10-38-19.png

Everything is fine.

Archaeology chapters commonly reward the player with minor artifacts – but it can also be resources, research points or other more unique rewards.

Design intentions
Archaeology becomes a way for us to express narrative in a more evolving and controlled manner, and every site it also tied to a location on the map. All of these things together should make it more enjoyable to experience the content, since we hope it becomes easier to build a mental model of what is happening where. In general I believe that having narrative tied to things you can see on the map makes for a better experience. It’s not uncommon for me to forget where on the map a previous event occurred, and that is something I’d like to improve over time. I really like archaeology because it lands well between mechanics and narrative.

------------

We hope you could dig today’s dev diary, and next week we’ll be back with something old that is new.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ohh, actually, these can also be used for secret projects or breakthroughs. For example, the ascension paths and colossus projects would fit well into this system. You could also have technologies that trigger a narrative/research chain that ultimately leads to some special technologies that you can only get a handful of per game. Maybe an alternative to rare researches?

Frankly I think the last thing Stellaris needs is more anomalies. Sure, they can give great bonuses but after the first 30 minutes of any campaign anomalies just turn into just another thing to click through. We've already had two DLC's focused entirely on anomalies, and I think other aspects of the game need more attention.

Will this open up the possibility for events to be more interconnected (maybe with different endings and stuff), so you can get unique histories of the galaxy?
i'm hoping that that's what he meant by 'emergent storytelling,' a term which excites me no end...

Wow! This is exactly the sort of thing Stellaris needs. Things to do that allow you to immerse yourself into the galaxy and make it feel alive. Anomalies have been an amazing feature of Stellaris so I'm very glad to see similar concepts expanded to other areas. The ultimate hope would be a way to keep the sense of adventure and exploration and story telling going even into the end game.

MORE FLAVOR FOR THE FLAVOR GODS
Archaeology looks very cool, excited to see what comes out of it. In SINS I was especially in love with the precursor planet bonuses.

Also, are we getting a diplo update on the next DLC too?

Will they improve the current precursors as well as add more?

Will they allow us to do digs in tomb worlds to find DNA to resurrect extinct species, etc?

I wonder what special events that machine and hive empires will have, considering their lack of individual agency.

Those are some cool ideas, and I've seen lots of other good ideas from other members of the community as well. I think archaeology is a very good system to create content from, since it seems to facilitate cool ideas really well.

Wow! This is exactly the sort of thing Stellaris needs. Things to do that allow you to immerse yourself into the galaxy and make it feel alive. Anomalies have been an amazing feature of Stellaris so I'm very glad to see similar concepts expanded to other areas. The ultimate hope would be a way to keep the sense of adventure and exploration and story telling going even into the end game.

I agree. The exploration aspect of Stellaris is really something that sets it apart.

Before someone asks, that doesn't mean only focusing on that though. There's other stuff planned as well :)

Alright idea, but do we really need more stuff to do for the games beginning chapters? Yes I know this will carry over but I imagine most of the heavy lifting in this feature will take place in the first 70-100 years.

Mid and end game need more love.

Will you change the Enigmatic Fortress/The Worm storyline to use this new system?

The foretress would definitely benefit from it. The worm I'm not sure, its sort of sporadic, possibly unrelated events sort of adds to the creepy feel. Its a bunch of strange events that if you skim over it you might not realize are related the first time.

As someone that values roleplay, and doesn't mind hiring some extra scientists, this addition looks like it could add another layer / something to do. I'm looking forward to the implementation and the tweaks we'll get along the way.

Always a fan of more stuff to do. Sounds like a neat little section of the outliner to collapse, right below Native Studies, and some snazzy new events to click through every five years.

So we're basically siegeing down archeology sites? :D
Let's starve these pesky artifacts out, so they surrender! x'D
Disease outbreak! Your scientist has died at an age of 47. :p